First topic, need a bike now

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
Longshanks

First topic, need a bike now

Post by Longshanks »

Hi, I’m Ian from Huddersfield area. I’ve joined ABR because I’m wanting to get back into adventure riding. It’s been well over 30 years since I’ve been on a bike so a little nervous if I’m honest. A good friend of mine who frequently writes on this forum and Ridden to Africa among other places recommended I get a small 250cc first. TTR or CRF kind of bike but I’m tempted to put the money towards a KTM 790 or T7. With the 790 perhaps keep in rain mode until I’m more confident, what’s your thoughts?? Please any advice on starting again would be appreciated.
Looking forward to some local the further afield adventures.
Thanks again
Ian.
OnHellas

Re: First topic, need a bike now

Post by OnHellas »

Hello, good evening and welcome.

Great to hear that you want a bike again. My advice would be a phone call to a local rider training school and book yourself in for a day or two refresher training.

After that the “which bike” question may have moved itself along a bit.

All of the bikes that you mention are good, it will probably come down to what you mainly want to do on the bike. Mainly dirt, mainly tarmac or a selection of both.
Long trips or local stuff.......oh the questions, oh the choices.

Remember though, unlike a dog, a bike can just be for Christmas (which is only one day by the way) and not for life.
Longshanks

Post by Longshanks »

Thank you, and good advice.
Mixed I would think. Start local, North Yorkshire, Scotland, some TET and who knows, I think France and Spain has been mentioned or was that me getting ahead of my self 😁
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Hi Ian - warm welcome to the forum.

If you haven't done any off-roading before, or not for decades, then maybe get that little TTR250, crash it again and again, and learn the craft without ditching an expensive shiny new bike.

However I am an example of where this doesn't apply. I crash a lot, and I have learnt almost nothing from the experience(s). I am as hopeless off road as I ever was. But I still persevere, like a demented masochistic fool, learning nothing but repeating my mistakes almost perfectly.

You will do it properly I'm sure. But do you really want to keep throwing a £10k bike into the scenery while you learn?
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

Longshanks wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:42 pm It’s been well over 30 years since I’ve been on a bike so a little nervous if I’m honest.
Not as nervous as I will be on our first ride out!
I remember your teenage antics 🥴

790 eh? Not sure I’m happy about that. I like to be at the front doing the roosting!

Good to see you’ve joined the mad house. We just need to find you a bike now before Summer runs out.
Or maybe two bikes.... a 250 to get you going and keep for winter trail riding then a bigger bike for the longer haul trips.

Good suggestion from OnHellas
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I would agree with OnHellas going down the training route first. You may well find that you don't like mud, sweat, and mauling with motorbikes in the rain. Then again you might (like the rest of us on here) think that it is the greatest thing to do other than sipping champagne :roll:

Almost local to you are Boyd Emmerich of https://www.overlandertrailtours.co.uk

Ady Smith http://adysmith.co.uk

Trials Day School near Leek https://www.trials-school.co.uk

TTFN

Hugh.
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

daveuprite wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:06 pm
If you haven't done any off-roading before, or not for decades, then maybe get that little TTR250, crash it again and again, and learn the craft without ditching an expensive shiny new bike.

You will do it properly I'm sure. But do you really want to keep throwing a £10k bike into the scenery while you learn?
Does this advice sound familiar Ian??? 😉

Hugh has come up with some good training day options that I’d forgotten about.

You could also try Gaz who also runs days out in Derbyshire with bike provided.

https://www.facebook.com/adventurebikewarehouse/
Longshanks

Post by Longshanks »

Thanks everyone, I must admin I’m excited, even been out and bought motion pro multi tool and tyre levers and put a little tool kit together. All the gear and no idea springs to mind.
Trust me MotoCP, you’ll be way ahead waiting for me to catch up.
Some sound advice and good links, thanks again everyone. The TTR sounds like a plan too :)
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Do some training, then get the little Japanese trail bike.
If/when you want to go bigger, sell if for what you paid for it.
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

30 years is a long time & the 790 is unlikely to ease you back in. However you seem like you know what you're up to & it's only powerful if you twist too much. Enjoy your return, just remember all that plastic shite they put on em now can't be banged with a hammer & is very expensive to replace :D
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”