Hello - and a bit of advice

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
gary b

Re: Hello - and a bit of advice

Post by gary b »

Lucaun wrote:Thanks everyone :)

so general thought is do DAS and get a bigger bike...
That's how I started many moons ago, but had a bit of off riding experience before doing my test and already had car license so was bit of a formality really but they do teach you stuff you wouldn't ordinarily think of so learn and enjoy yourself
Ps, hello and welcome (thumbs)
Old Geezer

Post by Old Geezer »

-Ralph- wrote:
Lucaun wrote:If I get a bigger bike we will probably tour on just one big bike I think, initially, however we have the budget to get 2 Derbi's and tour on those with a CBT.

Ther biggest issue is I wont have the time to do the DAS in one short go (cant take a week off for 3 months as new job) so will be doing a day training a week at the most, im not sure ill get the practice in ready for the test.

If I get just 1 derbi for now and take the test then trade up it means I will be out daily practicing and building confidence daily... if that makes sense.
Sounds to me like you've answered your own question already?
I came to biking late with 30+ years car experience and no bike since a teenager. I'd suggest take your CBT get in some 125 practice to familiarise yourself with riding a bike. It is very different to what you do in the car and lots of things have changed on bikes in recent years. THEN decide whether you will be able to do the DAS in one short go. This will also let you gain some experience and be able to decide what kind of bike and riding you want to do. Besides end of the year is always a good time to pick up a new bike as they go into hibernation or people are thinking of a change for next year.

P.S. I initially opted to do CBT then DAS concentrated course a week later. After CBT I decided I needed some practice before the DAS and only way I could ride was on a 125. Hiring is impossible so ended up doing a week of ride-outs with a riding school resulting in a dodgy clutch hand by end of the week with so much town work I had to pospone the DAS and take the old A2 course a couple of weeks later. Had to get my 650 twin restricted to be able to ride it after passing test, not that I noticed it. Lesson was you can't shortcut experience.
Lucaun

Post by Lucaun »

Thanks everyone.... So booking my cbt then will make a decision from there :) so bikes wise what's the derbi like? Also for that style of bike what would you recommend if I go das route
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Lucaun wrote:Thanks everyone.... So booking my cbt then will make a decision from there :) so bikes wise what's the derbi like? Also for that style of bike what would you recommend if I go das route
I had a 125 Derbi for the back of my camper van.
In isolation and if the roads were empty and not populated with moronic car drivers they are pleasant enough, but you'll be fighting a losing battle on Britain's congested roads.....you won't have the power to get out of the way.
If you start off on a 125, then pass your test and then get a 500cc-700cc bike, you'll realise what hard work riding a 125 was. With the bigger bike you'll have a bike that is far more enjoyable to ride and you'll feel less intimidated by four wheeled traffic.
As for style of bike, a lot depends on what type of riding you want to do and to an extent your body shape.....how tall you are.
A lot of new riders are put off by taller bikes, they feel less in control and like to plant their feet flat when at a stand-still.
I would think you need to wander round a showroom and sit on a few different styles of bike and get a feel for what suits you, it will be a very personal choice and I wouldn't be too swayed by opinions on forums.
Most people's biking "career" is a journey from one style of bike to another, just have a sit on a few then go for a test ride (if a dealer will let you with your new license) and make a decision on your gut instinct, you may get lucky and find you choose the right bike from the start, but it's more likely you'll progress to different types of bike as you begin to understand more about what you want, not what everyone tells you what you want.
Just get your test passed and start the journey.

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”