New Bike advice and hello

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
StuH

New Bike advice and hello

Post by StuH »

Hi all,

about to buy first proper bike and was looking for a bit of a advise

looking for a bike that cruises along at 70-80 and yet handles ok off road.
maybe something that would get me to scotland and back and possibley a trip to europe

Have been looking at G650 GS sertao and yam tenere althou not sure if the're gonna be too heavy for off roading as i'm only 9 stone.

also a bit miffed as to why a lot of the supposed adventure bikes i've seen have road tyres??? are road tyres ok for off road tracks or should i get one with off road tyres to be on safe side

also can anyone recommend any off road rider courses in essex?

cheers
Richard Simpson

Re: New Bike advice and hello

Post by Richard Simpson »

Your best bet is probably the KTM690: it's not as heavy as the two bikes you mention and has the road performance that you require.

However, I'd be tempted to get a slightly less heavy and powerful bike, and sacrifice a little bit of road speed for an easier ride on the trails.

Sadly they don't make the Suzuki DR350S any more...it would have been ideal. Runs along happily at 75 mph in its high (6th) gear, and a far better bike on the dirt than people give it credit for.

The Suzuki DR-Z400S that replaced it is heavier and has only 5 gears (that's progress!), and is also not made any more, but it is younger and there are more of them about.

Unless you are tall, consider the Beta Alp 4.0. Although it's quite heavy for the type of bike that it is, it has a very novice-freindly riding position...and...glory be...a Suzuki DR350S engine!
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

If your budget runs to a KTM690r or the KTM690e, you won't look back, great off-road, as few peeps on here will testify. and will do all the road work, as for tyre choice, the are plenty of duel purpose tyres out there, ( I run K60 a 50/50 tyre, and I love em' :) )just depends on your depended use.
I'm down in the Surrey area, and I'm taking my mate with his GS,( with road tyres on ) on some gentle lanes and UCR, your more than welcome to tag along if your sorted by then.
Oh and hello and welcome. :)
corbine

Post by corbine »

transalps old models and newer ones might be of use? dual purpose? :'-)
Bonniebird

Post by Bonniebird »

Greetings from Essex, the F650GS (single cylinder)which is similar to the Sertao handles fine off road, I have Mitas E-07 tyres on mine which are great for on and off road as long as it isn't muddy B)
I would say height is more of an issue than weight.
I don't know of any off road schools in Essex, there's Trailworld in Hertfordshire
http://www.trailworld.co.uk/uk/index.php

rickbat

Post by rickbat »

excuse me for butting in, not that i know much about bikes anyway but just had a look at the KTM 690R and the aprilia dorsoduro 750 ABS they both cost the same but the seat on the aprilia seems to be more comfortable for longer runs into mainland europe, while the KTM is a good looking machine i dont see how you would fit some side cases and top box to it, while for what i just done on the aprilia website, aprilia makes side cases and side tank cases for dorsoduro the bike have ABS and theres even a comfort gel seat as a option for it which only costs £146 ;)
If it doesnt have dirt on it, its because you're not riding it hard enough

LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

Welcome along to the forum
BIG BILL

Post by BIG BILL »

Welcome from Northumberland.

BB
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the Bl**dy thing ( Barry Sheene )
Your along time dead..
wayne roome

Post by wayne roome »

KTM 690 is a terrific bike. Does everything and only about 138kg which is lighter than the DRZ400, XR400 etc and is a pucker off road machine with touring capabilites and servicing of a "normal" adventure bike. You can get every concievable extra along with racks, pannier, tall screens and a like.
Certainly worth considering.
Or consider a cheaper off roader £1000 and a 600-650-700 adventure bike to keep a bit nicer.

If one bike is the only option then search for 690 on the forum. You will see a lot of happy people and ones that are "tricked up" for rallying.

Good luck.

Apologies but know bugger all about essex off-road as thought you were all southern softies down there LOL!!! Seriously though, have you tried the TRF (Trial riders fellowship) down your way? £45 will join the club and get out on the lanes with them guys, buy map or a OS sat nave and then be self sufficient.

If you fancy a ride in the Midlands (Northampton to the Peak and West Over Shropshire/North Wales)when you get your mucky moped, then we can take you out or loads of others available to go out with.

Watch this forum for rides out.
StuH wrote:Hi all,

about to buy first proper bike and was looking for a bit of a advise

looking for a bike that cruises along at 70-80 and yet handles ok off road.
maybe something that would get me to scotland and back and possibley a trip to europe

Have been looking at G650 GS sertao and yam tenere althou not sure if the're gonna be too heavy for off roading as i'm only 9 stone.

also a bit miffed as to why a lot of the supposed adventure bikes i've seen have road tyres??? are road tyres ok for off road tracks or should i get one with off road tyres to be on safe side

also can anyone recommend any off road rider courses in essex?

cheers
Boggs

Post by Boggs »

Hello & welcome to the forum B)

Kawasaki Versys?

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”