A nice problem to have

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
Mike101

A nice problem to have

Post by Mike101 »

Evening all.

I'm new here and have a complex but nice to have problem that i seek advice over. You will see that the normal advice of 'have a test ride' won't work so please read on.

First about me....

Started riding in 1988 and stopped in 2004...wife and kids etc got in the way but now I'm back. I used to be a MAG and BMF rep in my past and used to race sidecar speedway as well.
I've over 100,000 miles on two wheels and now want back in. I will have about 9k to spend and want to go shopping.

But and it's a big but....i don't have a bike license. Sent it away and it can back with it missing...DVLA have no record of me ever taking my test despite all the years I've had a licence. So i have to shell out £800 ish and drive around a car park.

OK so when that all passed i want a new bike.

I am looking at a 3-4 year old 1200GS or a new tiger 800XC or a new F800GS. All very nice....but i can't get a test ride..anywhere..i mean would you let a bloke take out a 1200GS who passed his test a week ago....nor would i.

I am fed up with reading about tiger wiring faults or how the 1200GS is big and heavy or how the F800 seat is torture.

My riding will be going to work with off road at weekends and a few longs trips each year. I will do about 120 miles each day so i need comfort and decent hard waterproof luggage.

My thoughts so far are this.

1200GS...expensive...heavy..bad on fuel but safe..comfy and apart from final drive almost faultless..also keeps it's value...servicing expensive

F800GS...bad seat...is it OK on a long commute?...OK price and holds it's value....servicing expensive

Tiger...Good engine..smooth..good on road..good on fuel..luggage seems to look naff on it and a few reported faults with lots of recalls....servicing cheap ish.

So over to you all...how would you choose?

Maybe to mag wants to do an article on me...like i said i have a problem but it's a nice one to have...i have the money but where do i put it.

How do you choose when you can't test ride?
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
xtgaz

Re: A nice problem to have

Post by xtgaz »

what about xt1200 super tenere prob get good second hand one for £9000 ish :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

HI,

I've had a look at a few of these in various dealers and i just don't like them. The build quality seems to be random with on bike looking perfect and another 20 miles down the road having badly fitting panels of badly fitted decals....i don't know why but i just don't like them...but the tenere is great..just not good on long road trips and the seat is way too tall for me.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
spasm

Post by spasm »

not good on long road trips lol 17k in 18 months ? all of them with a big smile, it knocks the shit out of any BMW hope u find the right bike, maybe a yam 660 with a custom seat. great bikes
i only need one wheel .......... the rear
daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

Try the 800 with a comfort seat. I have a low seat on my bike. Bum Ok from Cambridge to Dover, rest, then on to Chalon or there abouts. No idea what the milage is, don't care either. Test rides available at the following dealers.

BMW - Balderstons, Peterborough. Free coffee / tea bar upstairs. Very helpfull and not pushy. Most models available to ride, inc 800's. Ask to try with different (comfort) seat. They usually carry these in stock.

Honda, Marshalls P/boro. Free burger and drinks just for dropping in for a sniff round.
CR 250 traily bike and most other models available to test ride.

Triumph, Yamaha. Webbs, Eye. Most triumph models but not sure about yams.

KTM, Gear 4, Market Deeping. Not sure what they have for test riddes but generally have a few bikes available.

If you don't get to try a bike at any dealer. Walk away. Don't go by what you read on the net. Too much crap talked about what is or is not a good bike. It's what suits you.
So try before you buy and don't go with first impressions. If your not 100% sure. Just say so and go away to think about it / try other bike / then decide. Spending money in the heat of the moment after a nice ride is all too easy. seen it done sooo many times.

Best of luck.
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

HI,

thanks for the advice...i'd love to try all of them but according to my licence I've only been riding bikes for two weeks?

Now i can talk around that but so far no dealer will touch me...so i get to sit on a lot but not ridden anything that i want to buy.
Norm

Post by Norm »

Hi,

Just a quickie on the licence...if you have ever hired a car have the hire company taken a photocopy of it ?????

Its just a thought but it may help

Regards

Baldyboy
Gavinskii

Post by Gavinskii »

Of the 3 you have highlighted, I would go with the F800GS.

Reasonable VFM, Good MPG, Good cruising, reasonable off road, servicing ok.

:cheer:
R1150GS

Montesa 4Ride

KLX 250

Suzuki Beamish

2011 Nature Rally - Bronze Award
Joe Thumper

Post by Joe Thumper »

That's good advice from daytona supersport. There is no better way to know than time in the saddle. I would like to add that most dealer who are worth anything, should allow you to ride a machine. I've known a few that holds an insurance deposit on your card until you bring the bike back safely. Also consider low mileage used bikes with FSH oand clear HPI. Times are quite tough out there for many businesses in the bike trade which should allow you some haggling space. I don't think there are any bad bikes on the new bike market. You know what you want from a bike, now see which one fulfills all that the best. My personal opinion is that Japanese bikes are reliable & durable.
All the best with your purchase mate. Hope to see your steed at one of the rallies.
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

Mike101 wrote:HI,

I've had a look at a few of these in various dealers and i just don't like them. The build quality seems to be random with on bike looking perfect and another 20 miles down the road having badly fitting panels of badly fitted decals....i don't know why but i just don't like them...but the tenere is great..just not good on long road trips and the seat is way too tall for me.

Mike
The Super Tenere not any good for long road trips !
Just what makes you think that ?

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”