Not an ABR just yet

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
salawton90

Not an ABR just yet

Post by salawton90 »

Morning all.

Have a trip in the planning for july next year will be joining the adventure bike crew in the coming months.

Well i am from chesterfield and at the moment blasting around on a ducati monster 1200 but it will have to go soon.
The trip is a bit of a beast for me will be covering around 6500 miles around the baltic sea in around 2 2.5 weeks i haven't put that on the monster in nearly 3 years!

Had a browse through the range at the NEC and change my mind every couple days! At the moment the africa twin has got my vote but the power is a bit of a concern having always ridden powerful bikes. But the thought of a genuine duel purpose bike i can take on the green lanes could keep me interested!

Will be browsing for advice and eventually get my self set up! ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited by salawton90 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
gbags

Re: Not an ABR just yet

Post by gbags »

That looks like a great ride.

Let us know how you get on.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

5 x 1000 mile days to Nordkapp and back? I've done that trip, seems pretty ambitious to me....or am I getting soft in my old age?

I took 3 weeks just to see Norway ( and that wasn't long enough )
salawton90

Post by salawton90 »

They are just markers for things i would like to hit as a rough outline.
If you are looking at the 5 days thing on the screen shot thats googles estimated riding time for the whole thing.

Any must see things in norway i need to add?

lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

If that's your home address at the end of the route I'd remove it I think?? :(
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
Mickdb1

Post by Mickdb1 »

As chap above said
I live on Whitt moor - have a great trip.
Mick
You dont pack up biking when you grow old

You grow old when you pack up biking
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

salawton90 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:19 pm They are just markers for things i would like to hit as a rough outline.
If you are looking at the 5 days thing on the screen shot thats googles estimated riding time for the whole thing.

Any must see things in norway i need to add?

The whole of Norway's Atlantic coast is unmissable, especially the south-west Fjordland.

Once in Norway, buy a Staatoil mug when you first fill up with fuel- you'll get free refills from then on during your trip.

An unbelievably expensive country if you drink alcohol, £12 a pint? Ferries and fuel are very reasonablely priced.

Wild camping is free and legal, if the weather gets you down (it does rain a lot! ), stay in the wooden 'hytte'- a pretty basic cabin with a bed and a two- ring cooker ; you'll find them everywhere- I loved them .

Take your time and enjoy the scenery: highlights for me were any of the fjords but especially Geiranger and Prikstollen ( Pulpit Rock- as featured on every tourist brochure and well worth the 2 hour trek to the top).

I loved the Trondheim and Bergen areas, the Trollsteigen and especially the Lofoten Islands.

I wouldn't personally use the Narva- Novgorod border, it is pretty manic, you'll find it a lot less stressful to pick a quieter border crossing.

If you are going in late June, you'll be in Russia for the 2018 HUBB meeting; Alex, the organiser is a mine of information concerning all things Russian. HU 2018 is located halfway between Moscow and St. Petersburg at Valday National Park, it's a great meeting - there'll be a few British guys and girls there amongst the crowd.

South Estonia is fabulous- a very eco-friendly friendly destination, my favourite being around Vorü and Roüge.

You'll need to apply for your Russian Visa in person at either London, Manchester or Edinburgh. It is pretty hassle- free if you use an agency to do the paperwork for you. Alex will send you the 'Letter of Invitation' for free. He owns Russia Moto Travel and is a great guy who really does go the extra mile to encourage westerners to visit his country.

There's a good campsite in Prague- about 3 train stops out from the centre. The station is a 15 minutes' walk from the campsite. Auschwitz is an unforgettable, harrowing experience, you can camp outside the gates across the road in the civic camping car car park.

Good campsite in Ypres, 10 minutes from the Menin Gate, limited number of camping pods which have to be reserved in advance. Good campsite at Hirstals, near the ferry port ( Kristiansand- Hirstals). I would do the trip anti-clockwise so you get the best bits on the way back.

I could go on and on.... if you need any specific advice just ask, enjoy your trip , I'm jealous :)
salawton90

Post by salawton90 »

I never noticed the address at the end! I am from chesterfield but the address is wrong thankfully.

Wow that's a read in its self. Thanks for taking the time to type all that up! I know about the visa for russia and as far as i can tell thats the only one i will need. I would love to spend the whole two weeks in norway but due to family commitments it could be a good couple of years before i could think about doing a trip like this again. Where as a week or so i probably will be able to get away with in the near future and spend more time in the south. Thanks again so good points to take on and look in to further

SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Just regarding your bike for the trip, seeing as you've got a Ducati already, you could may be get a good deal on a 1200 Multistrada right now, just as they are about to bring out the new 1260.
Edit.....
I think they've got 9000 mile service intervals, most other manufactures seem to have 6000, so you could complete your trip between services.
salawton90

Post by salawton90 »

I did think about the multi but no real off road credentials and servicing is extortionate. Reliability justified or not is a concern the monster has been in twice for electrical gremlins and now coolant is disappearing.

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”