South Coast of England

andrewandlm

South Coast of England

Post by andrewandlm »

Hi all, new to the Forum so hope you all well.
I'm thinking of riding the south coast of England - Dorchester through to Margate.
Has anyone any GPX file of places to visit or good roads to ride ?
Happy to make a 'collage' of files.
Cheers :laugh:
Andy
Tramp

Re: South Coast of England

Post by Tramp »

Welcome.....
Look on best bikingroads.com for some great biking roads and you will find them...start at bridport to weymouth......
Tim B KTM

Post by Tim B KTM »

Hello Andrew, welcome from sunny Norwich
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Make sure you do the B3081 from Shaftsbury down to the new forest...including zig zag hill officially the twisted road in England ( may be europe I cant remembering) ....off road wise, look at some of the routes across Salisbury plain and parts of the south downs ( some of it isnt open so check carefully) ..
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

Hello and welcome Andy, are you road or trail or a bit of both, some nice stuff in the Surrey area (thumbs)
andrewandlm

Post by andrewandlm »

Cheers all, really appreciate it.
I was planning on doing both on and off-road riding but getting new Metzeler Tourance Next tyres fitted tomorrow so not sure whether i'll be doing the off-road stuff.
Think I'll check out some reviews on the forum about the tyres before I commit...
Andy
Trev

Post by Trev »

I'm about 20 minutes from zig zag hill, worth doing if you want to say you've been there otherwise avoid, terrible road surface, a few hair pin bends like a poor mans alps but with no view.
Some cracking roads out that way though, A30 Shaftesbury to Salisbury is a nice, reasonably quick stretch of road and not very busy at the right time of day. North and South of A30 there some great country lanes. Depends where you're coming from but turn off A303/A350 junction, head to Hindon, through the lovely lanscape of Fonthill Gifford on to Semley and tiny back lanes around the Donheads. You can then pick up the A30 (to Salisbury left or back to Shaftesbury right ) or turn right off it (opposite turning to Ansty) take in a a mini Alps climb and this takes you up to the Old Shaftesbury Drove most of which will be fine if dry. Alternatively you can stay on tarmac and down in Alvesdistion for more Dorset (empty) back road fun or left up to Compton Abbas airfield which usually has a few bikes visiting and some interesting planes.
Have fun!
Trev

Post by Trev »

B)
Monster

Post by Monster »

The A272 is a good alternative to the m27 where applicable
Also look up Loomies Café (A32 crossing) - always loads of bike traffic there
http://www.loomies.co.uk/
At the other end is The Chalet Café ... ~ 1 mile south at Cowfold on A281
A272 has many different speed limits - mind the coppers as they do some fund-raising occasionally along some faster stretches
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

When/if you get to Rye, just on the E. Sussex/Kent border, maybe take the B2082 north to Tenterden, a great road IMO. Then through Tenterden centre to pick up the B2067 going east to Hythe, another great road. The alternative coast road route from Rye to Hythe is rather boring. Once at Hythe, the last leg to Margate is not too interesting, road-wise, so maybe follow the coast road through Sandgate, Folkestone, Dover, Deal and Sandwich through to Margate.

Return to “England”