ABR Issue 29 Route Files - The Cumbria Way

PaulinBont

Re: ABR Issue 29 Route Files - The Cumbria Way

Post by PaulinBont »

I did the Coleridge Way last week and it was fantastic so thank you for the inspiration!
Luckily I saved each postcode as well downloading the .gpx file because the .gpx file came up on my Zumo660 as a series of straight purple lines between each waypoint which was no help at all, as they didn't offer any navigational help (also no verbal prompts).
Luckily my back-up plan was to use each postcode in sequence. Turn by turn prompts and verbal instructions worked fine so I got to see all of the Exmoor villages in the article.
I loved Porlock Weir, the nearby green lane and the Toll Road as well as the Valley of the Rocks (thumbs)

What did I do wrong re downloading the .gpx file?

I should add that this was the first time I tried to follow a downloaded route
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

PaulinBont wrote:I did the Coleridge Way last week and it was fantastic so thank you for the inspiration!
Luckily I saved each postcode as well downloading the .gpx file because the .gpx file came up on my Zumo660 as a series of straight purple lines between each waypoint which was no help at all, as they didn't offer any navigational help (also no verbal prompts).
Luckily my back-up plan was to use each postcode in sequence. Turn by turn prompts and verbal instructions worked fine so I got to see all of the Exmoor villages in the article.
I loved Porlock Weir, the nearby green lane and the Toll Road as well as the Valley of the Rocks (thumbs)

What did I do wrong re downloading the .gpx file?

I should add that this was the first time I tried to follow a downloaded route
Glad you enjoyed the route! When we're planning them out we spend a few hours around an OS map following the footpaths and deciding on which villages to include, which green lanes to ride etc. and often it's best just to have a vague destination and allow yourself to wonder, you ride the roads less travelled this way, and see some beautiful sights that you'd otherwise be diverted around!

Unfortunately I'm not much help when it comes to uploading .gpx routes to a SatNav, but if anyone else is having problems with the files let me know and I'll look into it.

In the next issue of ABR we'll be riding the South Downs Way, this promises to be another cracking ride and due to the proximity of the start/finish point to Dover, it could be a nice one to add onto the start/end of a European ride to make the trip home a bit more fun!
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

PaulinBont wrote:because the .gpx file came up on my Zumo660 as a series of straight purple lines between each waypoint
This happened to me too, I just 'recalculate route' and it sorts itself out.
oilfieldtrash

Post by oilfieldtrash »

I've come down from Scotland and done this route a couple of times now from Carlisle Cathedral. Cracking run....thanks. :)

Return to “England”