Bikes.....Suggestions (HELP) Needed!!

Moorso

Bikes.....Suggestions (HELP) Needed!!

Post by Moorso »

Right everyone.....suggestions needed. :)

For those on the ABR Ireland Rally, you would have met my lovely lady, Nicola. However, Nicola has really started to get into biking and at the rally had hinted that she would like to get her license and a bike of her own. This sentiment has continued, and a girl we know is currently getting lessons, which I think may have spurred her on. We passed a Pegasso on the way into work this morning and she re-iterated she wanted her own bike.

Now.....this is quite some way off!!

BUT....bike suggestions!
She is dinky....so any bike cannot be tall. I was thinking 500/600cc. She is a fan of the adventure style (hurrah!) rather than sport bike. But price will be everything....we won't have 3/4/5K to spend.....it'll probably need to be in the 1.5 - 2K bracket.

This is Nicola with Ian at the ABR Rally
961701_4593907056832_448912860_n.jpg
961701_4593907056832_448912860_n.jpg (26.13 KiB) Viewed 7735 times
YouTube: MoorsoP
Twitter: @MoorsoP
Web: www.alternate-road.blogspot.co.uk/

Author of: 'Valhalla and the Fjörd'
Editing my 2nd book: 'Hibernia; Journals from a Motorcycle'
Columnist for the Ulster Grand Prix
Mosel Bikes

Re: Bikes.....Suggestions (HELP) Needed!!

Post by Mosel Bikes »

KLE500. Lowering links. 2005-06 £1500 - £1800. Sorted. Oh, good on her for wanting to do it, whatever bike she chooses and good luck with it.
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
bimota

Post by bimota »

Hi,
the older bmw 650gs single with low seat my wifes had 3
and loves them.
rob
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

My suggestion (and my wife's) is to get a Suzuki VanVan and ride it for a year to build up confidence before going ointo something like a 500 or 600.

She can get started on a small budget (£125 CBT, £1,200 bike, £100 insurance) and pick up some real riding skills.

The VanVan is an excllent bike - My wife and I have both had them and even toured Europe on them last year. Good off-road, OK on road (if you choose single carriageway A & B roads), cheap and comfy.

Good luck, whatever [strike]you[/strike] she chooses ;) :)

Jon
Will

Post by Will »

jonny955 wrote:My suggestion (and my wife's) is to get a Suzuki VanVan and ride it for a year to build up confidence before going ointo something like a 500 or 600.

She can get started on a small budget (£125 CBT, £1,200 bike, £100 insurance) and pick up some real riding skills.

The VanVan is an excllent bike - My wife and I have both had them and even toured Europe on them last year. Good off-road, OK on road (if you choose single carriageway A & B roads), cheap and comfy.

Good luck, whatever [strike]you[/strike] she chooses ;) :)

I'm with you there jonny my wife had a tw 125 bought as none runner and we worked on it together she loved it B) and now has a serrow and 500 enfield my son used it for college and passed his test on it as well B) we then sold it for someone else who was bit short to use as well

Jon
Bsa A10
Famous

Post by Famous »

Beta Alp

Ok I'm biased as I have one for sale :)

But it's low has great manners and the dr350 engine
bull

Post by bull »

yep, the kawasaki kle500 would be a good start out bike
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

Check out this link guys - spotted this one for sale in Bristol:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-moto ... 1025698265
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
Mosel Bikes

Post by Mosel Bikes »

That will likely go for sub £1500, as it's likely to have corrosion from being used as a winter commuter They are prone to it on casings, down pipes and peg brackets and other places) and has relatively high mileage. I bought on 4 weeks ago with lower mileage and less used for £1500.Worth a look though. There are a few on Ebay at the moment for about that sort of money.
I have a 990 ADv, an XT660Z, A V Strom thou too and have to say the little KLE has been a pleasant surprise to me as an all-round 'just jump on and go' bike. I've put a tank bag, soft panniers and an aluminium tool box adapted to make a nifty top box, with a total cost of around £1600, I get at least 65-70mpg and I'd happily take it around the world tomorrow. There was an article in ABR a couple issues back about a guy taking his through Russia (and Norway and other places if memory serves) and it was highly recommended.
I actually bought my 08 990 Adv yesterday and rode it back to Germany. It's a cracking bike, but I was thinking as I was riding, is it worth three-and-a-half grand more than what I paid for the KLE ....... a definite no for me. So long as you have no dakaresque intentions, use it mainly for roadwork, not two-up, don't want to tear-up fire roads at 70mph, the KLE will do just fine and fit most pockets.
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
Moorso

Post by Moorso »

Thanks everyone.....much appreciated.
What I intend to do initially is take all suggestions and let her have a look at them...she will (note I didn't say can!) :P immediately make some snap judgements. I'll end up with a list and then research them further.

It is early days yet....but thank you all!
YouTube: MoorsoP
Twitter: @MoorsoP
Web: www.alternate-road.blogspot.co.uk/

Author of: 'Valhalla and the Fjörd'
Editing my 2nd book: 'Hibernia; Journals from a Motorcycle'
Columnist for the Ulster Grand Prix

Return to “Ireland”