GPX files of trails in Morocco

WIBO

Re: GPX files of trails in Morocco

Post by WIBO »

Grahamkevinbutler wrote:Having my bike transported down to Morocco first week in April, I'll be flying to Spain to pick bike up then ferry over to Morocco, I've got a garmin Montana 650t with good maps on what I'm after is dose anyone have any GPX files of any trails they have done in Morocco they could send me,
Thanks

I have a Montana also. Great bit of kit. If you search through wikiloc you'll indeed find some great trails (I have some on there too but not as many as I like to share as my GPS USB got zapped)

Anyhooo..... I use open street maps and find it works just fine. If say, when off road and you enter in the name of two villages it will route to them via piste.

A tip,if one finds oneself in the vast desert trails used by locals,is if you actually zoom out on your GPS rather than try to follow one trail rigidly. When you zoom out a few taps you'll see that you're still heading to where you should be going but now you can look ahead whilst riding and pick your own trails as you see them.

This allows you to choose which of the many parallel trails to ride on.

As an aside,in these types of regions,where there can be say an 8km wide stretch of land,that you can ride on for half an hour and all with trails paralleling, culminating into a one vehicle wide trail, if you look well to the horizon, sometimes you'll normally see a wall of mountains to your left or right way into the distance and where they dip is a ready reckoner as to where you'll end up going.

I'm certain you'll find what you need on wikiloc and with a garmin there's a specific icon for garmin you'll click allowing your GPS to suck each trail in.

I don't think you're being lazy in asking a question whatsoever. It is easier to ask than to walk to a library or book shop in the rain and faster than ordering same on line.

I hope you enjoy your ride out and if you have any other questions,and bearing in mind the point of having forums is to share and help, by all means just ask.

If nice people don't want to answer what they normally do is just not answer,rather than make the effort and take the time to tell you you're lazy.

The first thing I'm sure you'll want to read on these forums, with only 56 posts, is that it's a good place to hang out and to spread the word with other like minded riders within our discipline.

Don't forget these same people also ask questions on forums that they too could've searched for.....

Thank you for the kind offer of trails.... Perhaps you could upload same to wikiloc and then post a link? This would save you emailing them repeatedly?

Enjoy your time on the forums and here is a link for OSM for Maroc

http://alternativaslibres.org/en/downloads.php

:)
Will It Buff Out?
Spadger

Post by Spadger »

Grahamkevinbutler wrote:
image_2017-02-24.jpeg
I never thought of it in that way Mike, as I've always been able to lend a hand even give stuff away to people that need a spare part, I didn't think it made much difference on what bike or how many people would be traveling,
I trail ride up in the north on my own sometimes and with a guy my level is hard to say as I haven't compared myself to anyone,
Few years ago I was apart of the trf I was on the same par as some of them if that helps,
I have loads of legal lanes of the north on GPX files that I share with others from different forums so I thought it was the norm or good will amongst us guys, maybe not on here yet, I will post all my GPX files on here when I get back so it will help any one traveling for the first time
. This is a bit of a response to a few early comments, the lads asking for help / advice / routes ffs is that not what a forums for rather than jump
At the jugular at every opportunity, if it can't be constructive why say it at all. If I had some I would gladly share the experience, I'm not exactly techie and have appreciated the help and routes passed to me , don't let someone give you a hard time for asking a simple request , as for the trf certainty up north they've made huge efforts to help and be more inclusive re route sharing , all you have to do is join , good luck with the Maroc trip , we,re doing it in October with Wibo and if it wasn't for him and his plus others advice we prob wouldn't have
Grahamkevinbutler

Post by Grahamkevinbutler »

Some really nice feed back guys thanks, I'll be happy to share what I have when I get back, I'll have a look at the site you recommend I'll upload some files,
I'm a payed up supporter of this site,,,, http://alternativaslibres.org/en/downloads.php,,, as I think it's dam hot,,,,
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

share the routes and be happy.. I hope mike 64 is in the same care home as me , I will get the tv remote and only watch my programs . he he :laugh: :laugh:
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Grahamkevinbutler wrote:Some really nice feed back guys thanks, I'll be happy to share what I have when I get back, I'll have a look at the site you recommend I'll upload some files,
I'm a payed up supporter of this site,,,, http://alternativaslibres.org/en/downloads.php,,, as I think it's dam hot,,,,
Thanks for the link and the kind offer of sharing your trails.

Yeah, don't worry about Mike 54,from what I see in here nobody pays much attention to him other than for a source of amusement. (I've just showed his reply to you to a non rider in the pub here after the rugby match,and he's hosing himself with laughter as after sarcastically replying 'That's a nice reply to welcome a new member'

She gets off demeaning others with the same type of replies...if you carry out a search on here for his posts you'll get a good laugh.

The nickname I've heard bandied about is The Slayer of All Dreams.

Enjoy your ride in Maroc. As before any questions, by all mean ask:the majority are indeed actually here to help you rather than try to make you feel small.

:)

Will It Buff Out?
oldoak

Post by oldoak »

I did 4 weeks in Maroc a few years ago and was well impressed by the Open Source Map i used. Pistes do vary from week to week, and new bridges are put in or washed away so you just have to be a little freer and easier. it was really accurate in cities too. almost more useful there than on the trail!

There is the old Olaf map, you'll have to look it up but this is now getting very old and altough waypoints will be the same routes might be very altered. Good thing about Olaf is contour lines are on it, bringing the landscape to life a little.

Download it for free and not worry about asking for anything people might not want to give up.

HU is a good resource for wells, petrol and accommodation etc, Chris Scotts book is pretty much essential in my mind and Tim Cullis's web pages are useful too.

Have a great trip
MHsnowy

Post by MHsnowy »

The first time i went 2 years ago I used the routes from Chris Scotts book. It also has some very useful information in besides routes.

I went with all these planned routes and itineraries for each day, but they all went out the window due to the weather. It actually made for a proper adventure as we just adapted each day and took it as it came. We also used advice from locals to plan our next days rides using a paper map and the Montana to head towards each destination by using the Goto function which draws a straight line.

Had a great time.
Tim Cullis

Post by Tim Cullis »

Olaf's map might be old, but the pistes of today are based on the mule trails of 100 years ago, and practically nothing has changed.

The Olaf maps were built by a few people (including me before the final update in 2007) contributing their own tracklogs and the advantage of this is that you can look at the Olaf mapset and say, "Well someone managed to get through there ten years ago, so let's give it a try."

http://www.island-olaf.de/travel/marokko/gps.html

Suggestions: http://www.morocco-knowledgebase.net/fo ... d.php?t=66
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco Knowledgebase
Grahamkevinbutler

Post by Grahamkevinbutler »

thanks guys I've got some very useful info
Wonkyconk

Post by Wonkyconk »

Let us know how you get on in Morocco, I'm going later on in the year.
If you fancy some lanes in the south west of England get in touch, I know some cracking routes.

Return to “Morocco”