Are 'friends' electric?

Flintlock

Re: Are 'friends' electric?

Post by Flintlock »

Zookman wrote:Those 29er Ebikes look alright, i've not seen those models before..... although i am familiar with the Bosch Crank Drive motors.
As they were hire Ebikes i expect they were legal 15.5mph jobs... but you can get a dongle for those motors that will double the available speeds.
Yep- restricted to15.5mph- but on free wheel on the long downhills, as fast as any other MTB - got up to 32mph on some downhills according to the computer.
crofty

Post by crofty »

braemar020.JPG
braemar020.JPG (36.95 KiB) Viewed 4377 times
I have had mine since I turned 65,great way to get out on the tracks where no motorbikes are allowed.
DaleC

Post by DaleC »

peterekins wrote:The hard work is what cycling's all about for me.
+1 to that! (thumbs)

Although, I did see a €8,500, 6" travel, full suspension ebike in my local shop the other day that almost had me revising my position. It is capable of 75km/h (just shy of 50m/hr) and 0 - 50km/r in 5 seconds! :blink:

I really don't want to discuss the legalities of it..... :whistle:

Let me introduce the Spitzing M1
http://m1-sporttechnik.de/en/spitzing/
Keyboard Adventurer! :D
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Sweet looking kit Dale!

Makes the Bultaco look cheap in comparison!! :whistle:
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

peterekins wrote:
Gedge wrote:Great fun aren't they? ...the fun of cycling without all the serious hard work....
The hard work is what cycling's all about for me.
That's fine all the time you are capable of doing the kind of hard work that is needed to get to the best places..an Ebike makes them accessible to those of us who really can't ride up mountains...
DaleC

Post by DaleC »

Gedge wrote:
peterekins wrote:
Gedge wrote:Great fun aren't they? ...the fun of cycling without all the serious hard work....
The hard work is what cycling's all about for me.
That's fine all the time you are capable of doing the kind of hard work that is needed to get to the best places..an Ebike makes them accessible to those of us who really can't ride up mountains...
I regularly see high quality mountain Ebikes here in the mountains being ridden by the partner (husband or wife etc) of someone that is a fit or dedicated rider. It allows the less fit (or less inclined) rider to enjoy the day also, which I think is a brilliant result. (thumbs)

To put that in perspective, the moment you leave the valley floor the trails tend to be a constant 10-15% gradient for as long as you can bear it or you reach the mountain hut for a beer :laugh:

I go get pissed off though when a numpty scoots past without breaking into a sweat on their Ebike and lights up a cigarette at the mountain hut in front of me :dry:
DaleC

Post by DaleC »

SteveR wrote:Sweet looking kit Dale!

Makes the Bultaco look cheap in comparison!! :whistle:
The Bultaco looks like brilliant fun! (thumbs) You could have 2 for the price of the M1 :P

I would suggest the biggest difference in price will be the weight? The Bultaco weighs 39kg and while I can't find a weight for the M1, being constructed from carbon and other "unobtanium" I would suggest it will come in less than 20kg? Something has to justify the price :whistle:
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

Ebikes have got people out cycling and getting exercise that wouldn't normally entertain having a bicycle. Idiotic, prejudicial cyclists that call Ebikes cheating, dont get it at all. The motor power 'assists' a cyclist on an Ebike, not take over altogether like a motorbike.
The disabled, people with ill health and people that just dont have the fitness of their younger days are using Ebikes and are out getting exercise and fresh air.
Even if you are fit enough to ride unassisted bicycles, Ebikes are just great fun to ride. I ride Ebikes and unpowered push bikes, they both have their place.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Zook do you have a link to these dongles for the yam drive bikes?
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Zookman wrote:Ebikes have got people out cycling and getting exercise that wouldn't normally entertain having a bicycle. Idiotic, prejudicial cyclists that call Ebikes cheating, dont get it at all. The motor power 'assists' a cyclist on an Ebike, not take over altogether like a motorbike.
The disabled, people with ill health and people that just dont have the fitness of their younger days are using Ebikes and are out getting exercise and fresh air.
Even if you are fit enough to ride unassisted bicycles, Ebikes are just great fun to ride. I ride Ebikes and unpowered push bikes, they both have their place.
Well said.
I cycle every day. I spend loads more time on a push bike than I do on a motorcycle.
I mostly use a normal push bike but I've also got an Ebike.
The power cuts on the Ebike at 15mph. I put the same effort into riding my Ebike as I do riding my pushbike.....it's just that I go faster on the Ebike. The Ebike is great fun, my wife has got one and now she can keep up with me.
Regarding the faster off-road Ebikes. I love the idea of them for riding trails/byways that would see you strung up for accessing with a motorcycle.
The problem will be as the price of these things comes down (as it surely will) and the secondhand market picks up, we'll see more of them.....some of the users won't have the common sense to slow down at the appropriate occasions, then the party-poopers will start picking up on them and then the fun police will be out to stop the party.

Return to “Ireland”