Are 'friends' electric?

Zookman

Re: Are 'friends' electric?

Post by Zookman »

Mike54 wrote:Zook do you have a link to these dongles for the yam drive bikes?
https://www.badassebikes.com/

You may get cheaper elsewhere on the net, or you can get em from some Ebike dealers. Some dealers will even supply them with a new Ebike.
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

Those are the chips for Yam motors along with Bosch..... there are other dongles for Bosch motors which are a set of wires that plug in.
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

Also, a lot of Ebikes with hub motors can easily be derestricted just by going into the settings on the LCD handlebar display. You can reset them to a max higher speed.
But higher speed will obviously give you less battery range.... taking the max speed to 20-25 is probably about the sweet spot for better speed and decent range.
scutty

Post by scutty »

Here's mine:

I use it mainly for commuting in the lighter months but we have been discussing using them for green/bridle laning as well. Good fun and very fast (with a light modification, ahem)
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

scutty wrote:Here's mine:

I use it mainly for commuting in the lighter months but we have been discussing using them for green/bridle laning as well. Good fun and very fast (with a light modification, ahem)
Nice..... I reckon the rear wheel hub motors integrate and look far better than the front wheel hub motors. You also get better traction with them.
The next Ekit that i fit will have a rear hub motor.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Thanks guys for reminding me of these... Anyone retro fitted a unit to a normal mt bike?... I've been walking some great chemin or trails this morning and miss my mt bike as against my ccm.

I would fancy some real dirt tyres for rocky sections as it's far easier to push a cycle up a steep slippy rocky path in rural France than a enduro....I've a aluminium framed mt bike with low gears for hills....

And can recharge battery's quickly in camper...and Andy if you don't like it sweep some leaves....we will be havin to much fun.
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

What's the situation with electric bikes on bridleways- I presume they are 'mechanically propelled' and as such are (to the letter of the law) illegal to use?

Whether anyone complains is another matter!

There are some really nice restricted byways in my neck of the woods that would be nice to be able to ride without concerns about legality...
peterekins

Post by peterekins »

Flintlock wrote:
peterekins wrote:
Gedge wrote:Great fun aren't they? ...the fun of cycling without all the serious hard work....
The hard work is what cycling's all about for me.
Yep Gedge , excellent fun

Peterkins - I do a bit of cycling myself, but its good fo know that this technology will allow us to get out and still enjoy the trails when perhaps we are nof fit enough to do it using human energy only.
Sorry if you missunderstood or I wasn't clear. I wasn't saying there a bad thing, in fact great to get people cycling who would normally be put off by the effort. Just saying there not for me at the moment, but who knows what the future holds and if it kept me cycling I would get one tommorow.
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

Tramp wrote:Thanks guys for reminding me of these... Anyone retro fitted a unit to a normal mt bike?... I've been walking some great chemin or trails this morning and miss my mt bike as against my ccm.

I would fancy some real dirt tyres for rocky sections as it's far easier to push a cycle up a steep slippy rocky path in rural France than a enduro....I've a aluminium framed mt bike with low gears for hills....

And can recharge battery's quickly in camper...and Andy if you don't like it sweep some leaves....we will be havin to much fun.
Legal Ebikes with a 250W motor and a 15.5mph motor cut out can go anywhere bicycles are allowed..... and even this 15.5mph is allowed some leeway up to about 18mph and still be legal. They are also not required to have mot, tax, insurance and you dont have to wear a helmet. Removing this speed restriction obviously makes them illegal, but as long as you aren't doing stupid speeds on them its unlikely you'll get nicked.
Ebikes over this power are classed as S Pedelecs and can only use private land that has no public access.
I think its better to have an unrestricted Ebike that looks like a legal Ebike, rather than the real powerful Ebikes like the Bultaco and Stealth Bomber that are really electric motorbikes and it would be easy to get nicked on them.
There's also the caveat that if your in an accident or injure someone when your riding an illegal Ebike in a public place, you will likely get prosecuted and possibly sued for XXXXXXX£££.
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

Meant to answer Stephen Packer with that post.... quoted Tramp by mistake.

Return to “Ireland”