Are 'friends' electric?

Zookman

Re: Are 'friends' electric?

Post by Zookman »

Gedge wrote:
Zookman wrote:
Gedge wrote:
AndyB wrote:
[email protected] wrote:What's the situation with electric bikes on bridleways- I presume they are 'mechanically propelled' and as such are (to the letter of the law) illegal to use?

Whether anyone complains is another matter!

There are some really nice restricted byways in my neck of the woods that would be nice to be able to ride without concerns about legality...
Just remember that if you fit a dongle to de-restrict it you're making it into a moped and all the normal restrictions come into force.

I keep thinking of buying one to go to the pub in summer but I know I won't be able to resist fitting a dongle and even though we're right out in the sticks it'd be a pretty crap way to lose my licence (and my job) if I picked the wrong night to get lashed and pedal home at 35mph.
Mine is derestricted through the controller and will do 21mph under its own stream ( which is almost plenty fast enough... :evil: )..Because it is done internally itwould take a lot of work to prove that it has been modified and unless I run over an old lady I am fairly safe ..( the only Police I haev come across just wanted to know when they could have a go on it!! ) Like everything, use them sensibly and dont draw attention to yourself and it will be fine even if it is technically illegal...
Pretty much the way i view extracting a bit more power, be sensible on how much extra power but dont take the piss, and its highly unlikely it'll get you in bother.
I've been using an Ebike forum for the last few years and i've not heard of anyone getting nicked for modding extra max speed out of a legal Ebike.
My next kit, i'm gonna go 350W rear hub for more torque, 13 or 15 a/h battery and setting the max speed somewhere between 20 and 25 mph.
I think I am going to upgrade to a Hub drive bike..but probably not until the winter has gone...I fancy a KTM Macina but not sure if I can justify the cost especially as will probably keep the Burisch.....( Im pretty sure Santa is aware of this request and has deemed me too naughty but tehre is always hope.......)
I thought the Burisch was hub drive ?.... So i assume you mean you want to upgrade to crank drive, or mid drive as they are sometimes called.
KTM have some stunning Ebikes, but they are pricey.
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Zookman wrote:
Gedge wrote:
Zookman wrote:
Gedge wrote:
AndyB wrote:
[email protected] wrote:What's the situation with electric bikes on bridleways- I presume they are 'mechanically propelled' and as such are (to the letter of the law) illegal to use?

Whether anyone complains is another matter!

There are some really nice restricted byways in my neck of the woods that would be nice to be able to ride without concerns about legality...
Just remember that if you fit a dongle to de-restrict it you're making it into a moped and all the normal restrictions come into force.

I keep thinking of buying one to go to the pub in summer but I know I won't be able to resist fitting a dongle and even though we're right out in the sticks it'd be a pretty crap way to lose my licence (and my job) if I picked the wrong night to get lashed and pedal home at 35mph.
Mine is derestricted through the controller and will do 21mph under its own stream ( which is almost plenty fast enough... :evil: )..Because it is done internally itwould take a lot of work to prove that it has been modified and unless I run over an old lady I am fairly safe ..( the only Police I haev come across just wanted to know when they could have a go on it!! ) Like everything, use them sensibly and dont draw attention to yourself and it will be fine even if it is technically illegal...
Pretty much the way i view extracting a bit more power, be sensible on how much extra power but dont take the piss, and its highly unlikely it'll get you in bother.
I've been using an Ebike forum for the last few years and i've not heard of anyone getting nicked for modding extra max speed out of a legal Ebike.
My next kit, i'm gonna go 350W rear hub for more torque, 13 or 15 a/h battery and setting the max speed somewhere between 20 and 25 mph.
I think I am going to upgrade to a Hub drive bike..but probably not until the winter has gone...I fancy a KTM Macina but not sure if I can justify the cost especially as will probably keep the Burisch.....( Im pretty sure Santa is aware of this request and has deemed me too naughty but tehre is always hope.......)
I thought the Burisch was hub drive ?.... So i assume you mean you want to upgrade to crank drive, or mid drive as they are sometimes called.
KTM have some stunning Ebikes, but they are pricey.
Typing when I was meant to be working.......yes I meant crank drive... :blush:
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

So, three years on and I hired another EMTB out for a four hour session. A Cube Reaction SL Hybrid hardtail.
20190106_111346.jpg
20190106_111346.jpg (593.08 KiB) Viewed 8893 times
20190106_120344.jpg
20190106_120344.jpg (396.57 KiB) Viewed 8893 times
A massive improvement from the previous one. Effortless cycling on some really steep uphills, slick gear changes and changing to the different modes.

I thought I would not be looking to get one of these for a few years yet, but now, possibly sooner, especially after learning that the outdoor centre I hired it from sell off their fleet every year.
Trev

Post by Trev »

I bought a Giant E-bike, the Explorer (looks like a geography teachers bike, even has a rack and full mudguards) to see if I can realistically commute a couple of times a week on a bike. So far I've riden it home twice (it's about 26 miles) and I can do it in 1 hr 25 mins as opposed to just under two hours on my non electric cyclecross bike - you've guessed it I'm a pretty unfit fat git ;)

It's got a range of up to 60 miles (in eco or eco+ mode) and I think will really encourage me to cycle a lot more than I do now. It may even replace a (motor)bike for the odd couple of hour potter on some evenings. For sure it's not the choice for someone who is looking to get super fit but hopefully it will get me to a reasonable level and when I can then switch to an unassisted bike.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

...and, 3 years on...I've decided against converting my old 'Scott' MTB to electric using a Bafang crank drive, mainly because the geometry of current MTBs is so much better than 10 year old models rather than anything else. I'm going to get a Bosch Performance Line CX motor in a hardtail 29' er. They seem to be be coming down in price, a bit. I've ridden a de-restricted bike with this motor and it is very, very, good 8-) .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

Scott_rider wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:24 pm ...and, 3 years on...I've decided against converting my old 'Scott' MTB to electric using a Bafang crank drive, mainly because the geometry of current MTBs is so much better than 10 year old models rather than anything else. I'm going to get a Bosch Performance Line CX motor in a hardtail 29' er. They seem to be be coming down in price, a bit. I've ridden a de-restricted bike with this motor and it is very, very, good 8-) .
My Trek Powerfly 5 is a hardtail Bosch 29'er and it fits me like a glove. No matter what abuse I give it, it seems to be no problem. I've done 1500 miles in a year mainly on trails, bridleways, canals etc etc. I have tubeless ready tyres and only noticed two punctures, one was a pinch in the sidewall that wouldn't seal, the other sealed in a few seconds; any others just didn't register.

Currently the better drive to get seems to be the Shimano E8000; the Bosch motor is getting a big old and developments coming quick and fast mean it's getting a bit left behind. It's still a great motor & controller but it's a bit draggy outside of the speed limiter. Also general wisdom says don't bother with a hardtail there's nothing to be gained; go straight for a full suspension. That's why I'm looking at a "full sus" Shimano drive bike but they are silly money considering what equivalent price motorcycle you can get :shock:
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

There was also full suspension EMTB's there for hire (Cube Stereo Pro) so might hire one of them next to see what they are like 8-)
Cone

Post by Cone »

I have a cube sl500 hybrid 160. My typical ride is 40km and 4000 vertical ft. Sorry for mixing measures :lol:

I love it it’s tranformed riding for me, single track trail riding is norm up and down. Once you get use to the extra weight they are awesome I recommend it to all.

Beware, not many aftermarket parts are availble for anything but a haibike. And as I’ve found oem parts can be hard to come by too.

If you fall off, bits break I put this generally to the extra weight but comes with steep difficult trails
Cone

Post by Cone »

709356A2-4D64-4CB8-B790-B6C7E18FAAED.jpeg
709356A2-4D64-4CB8-B790-B6C7E18FAAED.jpeg (139.05 KiB) Viewed 8812 times
Here it is with some home made night lights ready for my trip out yesterday evening
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Looks the biz 8-)

Return to “Ireland”