Ireland Road Trip

Moorso

Re: Ireland Road Trip

Post by Moorso »

Hi Derek....

Co. Clare was a revelation...you could spend weeks just exploring it. It's mad - you think 5 days is loads of time, but it's nothing at all. Corkscrew Hill was lovely...never knew we had a road like that in Ireland! Definitely to go back...didn't see even a fraction of what we had planned.
YouTube: MoorsoP
Twitter: @MoorsoP
Web: www.alternate-road.blogspot.co.uk/

Author of: 'Valhalla and the Fjörd'
Editing my 2nd book: 'Hibernia; Journals from a Motorcycle'
Columnist for the Ulster Grand Prix
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Corkscrew Hill? Likeing the sound of that.

Enjoyed the video Moorso
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

If you like the Corkscrew Hill have a look for Craggy Island if you are Father Ted fan. Some really nice roads as you find it but slow. I don't do satnavs but Fanore [on the Clare coast] is about an hour across the top on some very strange roads.

For the crack if you fancy afternoon tea and scones inside the house make a call....email is [email protected] lady is Cheryl McCormack + 353 87 nine two one four six nine four. The townland is Glenquin.

If you like awesome fishing places between Killorglin and Glenbeigh there is Caragh Lake.......one time there was a train station there.

As you have been warned, time is a strange thing here. I have done the entire apart from a small bit up at Donegal. Its been 2 weeks in Kerry, then another 2 weeks up at Clare, then another week up at Lousburgh, at different times. The best way to see it is to enjoy what you find, you wont do it all in the time. Moorso has it well sussed. Some places are so nice you just have to slow down to take it in. The real problem is that although the WAW is one thing, there are so many tempting places just a little bit off it that inevitably prove too tempting.

If you are camping there is a lovely place at Fanore [Clare], between the road and the sea, for wild camping. Lots do it for the experience and in good weather there is nowhere like it.

You could travel direct from the Rosslare ferry to Cork...or detour and take in The Vee, Rock of Cashel, Lismore........and start at Kinsale.

At a place called Leap, west of Clonakilty, there is the 'Motorcycle Grill'. The couple who own it are well travelled on two wheels. The breakfast defeats me.....

You could sum it up by saying start in Kinsale and peel off whenever you have to.

There is a 'Bikefest' in Killarney that weekend, if you want some fun head straight for there from the ferry. 7-10,000 bikes would be normal. When I came back from France last year just before the June weekend there was about 1,000 bikes on the ferry.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Heff wrote:
Spike941 wrote:
geordiegraham wrote:I'm off there on Wednesday next week, hoping for better weather though!
Off there in a fortnight's time, and also hoping for so better weather. Thanks for posting.
North, South or both?
Me and my mate are heading for the Wild Atlantic Way (travelling South to North) on a couple of Explorers for our annual fortnight European jaunt. We've had nothing but glorious warm dry weather in recent years, heading east and south, so though this year we'd try some wet and windy riding. Knowing our luck, probably be dry and warm also.
Stuartw

Post by Stuartw »

Much in the way of accomadation that you can just pitch up to, or needs a proper sit down and plan? B&B or camp
R1200GS

Post by R1200GS »

Moorso, great video. hope your bringing a few copies of your book, discount for cash of course.
Moorso

Post by Moorso »

Hi Stuart.....

As 92kk said....don't set yourself too strict a schedule, the Wild Atlantic Way is awesome but don't be afraid to take roads off the Way itself. Camping isn't a problem...there are quite a lot of sites but if you can't find a site, there are hostels too - we camped in the grounds of hostels more than once (especially around Co. Clare). This is a good option as access to hot showers etc.
Moorso, great video. hope your bringing a few copies of your book, discount for cash of course.
Hi Ian...

I only have two copies left with print imperfections! They were the first trial print run! :unsure:

They are available in Easons and Visit Belfast though!! :silly:

But you can have one of the first trial runs if you like though?!
YouTube: MoorsoP
Twitter: @MoorsoP
Web: www.alternate-road.blogspot.co.uk/

Author of: 'Valhalla and the Fjörd'
Editing my 2nd book: 'Hibernia; Journals from a Motorcycle'
Columnist for the Ulster Grand Prix
Stuartw

Post by Stuartw »

Great thanks for that Moorso. I'm meant to be doing the Achill half marathon in a month or so, but don't think I shall be up to speed for it. Still hoping to head over though. Thanks for the pointers ref accom, I'm not good at planning things so being able to pitch ip is perfect as the day and route pan out.

Ta
geordiegraham

Post by geordiegraham »

Heff wrote:
geordiegraham wrote:I'm off there on Wednesday next week, hoping for better weather though!
Why dont you pop over to the ABR Ireland Rally which runs over next weekend 29-31 May (thumbs)
I'm off to Killarney to the Ireland Bike Fest on the (sssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh) Harley, otherwise I would.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

geordiegraham wrote:
Heff wrote:
Why dont you pop over to the ABR Ireland Rally which runs over next weekend 29-31 May (thumbs)
I'm off to Killarney to the Ireland Bike Fest on the (sssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh) Harley, otherwise I would.
Its silage cutting time over here just now. The tractors are out everywhere so be careful on the back roads.

Enjoy the trip too.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles

Return to “Ireland”