Grasshill Causeway, Ireshopeburn

Mr K

Post by Mr K »

Does anyone know if the above road, featured in the latest ABR mag is fine to do solo if you're an old duffer on a 1200GS you'd rather not break?
The article said it was mainly tarmac but rough and rocky in places......

Thanks,

Chris :dry:
beddowsm

Re: Grasshill Causeway, Ireshopeburn

Post by beddowsm »

I've never ridden it, but the best advise in these situations is to go and have a look at the lane. Ride what you can see if you're comfortable with it and can see ways to back out eg turn around. If the going gets a bit too much, Park the bike and walk the next 50 meters. Then ride it, then walk and so on. Always make sure you have an exit or can turn the bike round safely.
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

I've ridden it on a DR350 and thought at the time that I could ride it easily enough on my KTM950.

I rode it the reverse of the route shown in ABR ( s/west to n/east) and it is quite rocky to start off but going down towards the reservoir it's just broken tarmac and well worth it for the views when you crest the hill.

How used are you to riding that big bike over rocky ground? if you're very familiar with your bike then it may be a walk in the park but I'd walk it first to see if you're happy with the terrain.
one-legged adventurer
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Any map ref?
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

johnnyboxer wrote:Any map ref?
I've only got a printout of a section of the OS landranger map for that area, so on Landranger 91 it's 814351 (S/W) to 838373 (N/E).
one-legged adventurer
Mr K

Post by Mr K »

Had a run up.
Got as far as the shooters hut, from the Ireshopeburn end and the tarmac ran out and it was fist sized rocks - Too much for me :blush:

Pictures don't really show how bad it was, as I was scared to stop :P
Mull

Post by Mull »

It gets worse from where you turned round mr k,especially on the other side where the rocks are bigger and more numerous plus there's a lot of washout channels approaching the road to Alston,I ride it regularly but on an enduro bike.
Mr K

Post by Mr K »

Cheers!

Feel better about turning around now.

(thumbs)
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Mr K wrote:Cheers!

Feel better about turning around now.

(thumbs)
Even if you didn't ride it all it's still a great trail.
one-legged adventurer
daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

Good call Mr K. Riding alone can be risky and needs a lot of common sense and caution.
It only takes a small injury to turn a days riding into a potentially very bad situation. Thanks for the pictures, looks like a lovely road..

I worked with a guy that had to have his lower leg amputated after slipping into a gulley whilst walking in the Alps. He was an experienced walker and properly kitted out. Having injured his leg, he lay there for a considerable time and was only found after seeing and signalling some other hikers across the valley. Apparently he was blowing his safety whistle which they heard and alerted the mountain rescue. By the time he was in hospital, the wound had become badly infected and later the decision was made to remove the limb below the knee.

There is risk in many things, mostly we get lucky. Sometimes we don't. I have had the injuries to prove this statement. Including a wrist made up of bits of bone. Looks like a joke on the X-Rays if I go into casualty. The last time the doctor just kept looking at the screen and saying, " that looks nothing like a wrist". There's a spare bit of bone floating about as well. (That was about a week before last years Stella).
Twice had to ride with fractured collar bones and once with a fractures wrist, (the other one). Lots of other bumps, I'm only writing this to show that shit happens.

The only thing worse than riding on your own and calling the shots, is to ride with a bloody idiot and a Johna. They get themselves and others into the shit with their lack of thinking and downright stupidity, they are the worlds F$$K ups who's actions impact on anybody around them. Best avoided.

PS, I don't have any time for the macho dick heads that try to show off or lead other less able riders into situations way beyond their abilities. It's not clever, it's just showing everybody what a tosser you really are.
A genuinely good rider does not need to behave this way.

Return to “North East”