ACE CAFE OVERLAND&ADV DAY 21/04 2013

stinch182

Re: Re: ACE CAFE OVERLAND&ADV DAY 21/04 2013

Post by stinch182 »

Nigel wrote:I was talking to some of the guys on 125`s and a more enthusiastic bunch you couldn`t wish to meet, it ain`t what youv`e got it how you use it ;)
That was me you were talking to Nigel was very nice chatting to you !

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Nigel

Re: ACE CAFE OVERLAND&ADV DAY 21/04 2013

Post by Nigel »

Thanks Stinch difficult trying to work out who is who from forum names :unsure:
Great day and nice to have a chat with people, had a chat with Sam Manicom we share a love of Africa and after buying his first book I will now have to buy the others :cheer:
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

I've meaning to say hello Nigel, it was great to meet you, like you say sometimes it's hard to put forum names to real faces, I have no idea how many people I said hello to we seemed to draw quite a crowd, someone needs to tell Piaggio UK.

Mark made me laugh, there he was off to Mongolia and turned to a couple of us and asked if we knew how to get to the A2. Sam if you hear from Mark wish him well, he's an inspiration and I hugely admire his spirit of just doing it.

So anyone want to buy a Derbi? It's yours for £8k
Happiness has 125cc ...
Travelling Sam

Post by Travelling Sam »

Freeloadeur wrote:
Mark made me laugh, there he was off to Mongolia and turned to a couple of us and asked if we knew how to get to the A2. Sam if you hear from Mark wish him well, he's an inspiration and I hugely admire his spirit of just doing it.
He really is a character. I like his style a lot. He gets on with it and does so with a real minimalist style. A couple of years ago he did a presentation at Horizons about how little you need and he wasn't joking. I met him back in 1996 in India. We rode together for 6 weeks and you couldn't ask for a better riding partner. Fun, level headed and fascinated by everything he saw. And, he was never afraid to get stuck in. I enjoyed his company a lot. Love to be a fly on the wall with his new trip. And for sure I'll pass on your greetings. I think he'll be chuffed! The attached is an awful shot - idiots mistake - somehow the setting my camera got changed and I didn't check. But it gives an idea of what I mean re minimalist for anyone who didn't make it to the Ace.
IMG_7924Psc.jpg
IMG_7924Psc.jpg (62.5 KiB) Viewed 6899 times
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

I think from chatting to him that he says he's come to the world of motorbikes from cycle-touring, it certainly shows in his packing, there were bigger bikes at the Ace with all the luggage on and all they'd done was ridden a few miles into London.
Happiness has 125cc ...
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Freeloadeur wrote:I think from chatting to him that he says he's come to the world of motorbikes from cycle-touring, it certainly shows in his packing, there were bigger bikes at the Ace with all the luggage on and all they'd done was ridden a few miles into London.
Far be it for me to criticise but when you see a fully loaded GS1200 with fuel and water bottles strapped to the back of the panniers just for a run to a bike meet you have to wonder :laugh:
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

Well I'm with you on that usually, but I do reckon the Ace Adventure Day is actually the better for having the bikes "dressed" to add variety.
Happiness has 125cc ...
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

As the owner of a fully dressed GSA at the Ace, not that I have to explain myself and my actions to anyone but, I will!

I tend to always ride with my panniers on as I use them a lot when I ride to work and it's easier to leave them on than keep taking them on and off. They are also useful when bringing stuff for other ABRs, when I've sold stuff on the forum and bring it to the Ace to hand out. I also used them to lock away my helmet and my mates helmet.

The 2 ltr bottle on the back of one of the panniers holds oil. Anyone that has ever owned a BMW will know that you need a drop now and then! It also proved useful at the Christmas Rally when one rider was in desperate need of oil - it saved his day and his bike.

I've normally got a few tools stashed away too, these have proved useful more than once when I've stopped at the roadside to help someone.

So, before having a pop at people that ride "fully loaded", they might be doing it for a reason.

Cheers

Mark
Travelling Sam

Post by Travelling Sam »

S'funny, I always ride with my panniers on Libby too. Don't like the way she looks naked otherwise :laugh: Nice thing about motorcycling though eh. Everyone can do it their way. Like that. Not too sure about all the exhaust popping that was going on on Sunday though. Does anyone know how those guys were making that happen?
Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 »

Nigel wrote:
Freeloadeur wrote:I think from chatting to him that he says he's come to the world of motorbikes from cycle-touring, it certainly shows in his packing, there were bigger bikes at the Ace with all the luggage on and all they'd done was ridden a few miles into London.
Far be it for me to criticise but when you see a fully loaded GS1200 with fuel and water bottles strapped to the back of the panniers just for a run to a bike meet you have to wonder :laugh:
It's like ladies day at the races, they all want to show off their fashions. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

P.S. I always ride with my panniers on........ :)
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!

Return to “South Coast”