Motorcycles In London Bus Lanes

Marco46

Motorcycles In London Bus Lanes

Post by Marco46 »

Happy Days
Just read in MCN today, that motorcycles will be allowed in most London bus lanes for the foreseeable future. After months and maybe years for surveys (at a cost to us, of course), they've finally seen sense.
Good Start To The New Year I Say :) :)
Mr Free Market

Re: Motorcycles In London Bus Lanes

Post by Mr Free Market »

As someone who rides his bike in London during the week, I couldn't agree with you more....:)
Over a long enough timeline, everyones survival rate drops to zero
mr_magicfingers

Post by mr_magicfingers »

Someone in local government saw sense, who'd have thought it.

This is excellent news.
Mr Free Market

Post by Mr Free Market »

mr_magicfingers wrote:Someone in local government saw sense
Isn't that an oxymoron?? :laugh:
Over a long enough timeline, everyones survival rate drops to zero
dusz

Post by dusz »

Why aren't all bus lanes nationally the same? At present it is up to the local councils to decide, there is no consistency and the Highway Code can not be definitive. If you travel from one area where it is allowed to another where it is not and the signs are not clear you could end up getting a fine for something that you believed was allowed.
This is good news for London now what about all the other bus lanes?
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Here's a bus lane related story from work.

When we were working the SE TFL stewardships from the Old Kent Road depot, one of my mates got a letter from fleet saying that they had to pay a bus lane fine because he'd been photographed somewhere in Norwood.

Knowing the area, he got it into his head that TFL or whoever were wrong, as there were no bus lane cameras in that area... so he drove down to prove it, and yes there were no camera masts to be seen.

A couple of weeks later another fine arrived for the same place and time that he was proving them wrong, and our boss wasn't exactly a happy bunny.

Still believing that he was right, said bloke drove down again, but this time parked up well away and walked through,scouring every lamp column,mast etc in the vicinity, still nothing ..... then he found it attached to a building.

It ended well though as our company still paid both fines, and him seeing the error of his ways.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Mr Free Market wrote:
mr_magicfingers wrote:Someone in local government saw sense
Isn't that an oxymoron?? :laugh:
No, usually there just morons.......

I thought you could use bus lanes in the smoke already, last trip down there I did, must admit I was getting a few funny looks :pinch: :whistle:
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

Marco46 wrote:Happy Days
Just read in MCN today, that motorcycles will be allowed in most London bus lanes for the foreseeable future. After months and maybe years for surveys (at a cost to us, of course), they've finally seen sense.
It's the "most" bit that's caught my eye. I'm not sure, not having read the article, exactly what's included and what's not but it would make me wary about using them if I'm ok on this stretch of road but liable for a fine 200yds later when I've crossed some invisible boundary and missed the postage stamp sized sign changing the rules as I was trying to avoid being taken out by a taxi doing a U turn at the time. If I ride 10ft to the right in a normal lane I'd be ok. I live close to London but not in it so while I do ride through the city frequently I don't know anywhere well enough to know which bit of bus lane is ok and which is off limits. Presumably buses don't have this problem.

The ups and downs of 40 years on two wheels

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Do the best you can, then try to live it down.

CCM604 Honda XR600 Honda CBX1000

Honda 400/4 Yamaha XS2 650 Kawasaki H1 500

Lotus Elan, Land Rover Discovery
stormfield

Post by stormfield »

Beware the borough of Lambeth! They will sting you in the bus lanes.
scouse

Post by scouse »

Marco46 wrote:Happy Days
Ah bit late again aren't they ... of course if you were on a MAG or BMF mailing lists, or got a news feed from Backroads Rider or Right to Ride you would have know about this good news at Xmas ;)
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen

Return to “North London”