Motorcycles In London Bus Lanes

scouse

Re: Motorcycles In London Bus Lanes

Post by scouse »

backofbeyond wrote:
Marco46 wrote:Happy Days
Just read in MCN today, that motorcycles will be allowed in most London bus lanes for the foreseeable future. After months and maybe years for surveys (at a cost to us, of course), they've finally seen sense.
Good Start To The New Year I Say :) :)
It's the "most" bit that's caught my eye. I'm not sure, not having read the article, exactly what's included and what's not but it would make me wary about using them if I'm ok on this stretch of road but liable for a fine 200yds later when I've crossed some invisible boundary and missed the postage stamp sized sign changing the rules as I was trying to avoid being taken out by a taxi doing a U turn at the time. If I ride 10ft to the right in a normal lane I'd be ok. I live close to London but not in it so while I do ride through the city frequently I don't know anywhere well enough to know which bit of bus lane is ok and which is off limits. Presumably buses don't have this problem.
It's Red Routes , but as we know they run across several Boroughs. I do know that Dr Leon Mannings is now in discussion with Westminster Council to get them to trial it where the routes run into their territory.

Up in Derby we are now starting a campaign, using the stats from this win as ammo, to get all local bus lanes with bike access. We currently have a similarly confusing mix where you have access to a lane on a road but not on all sections of it.
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

As a regular commuter through most of London & with several bus lane fines to my name :pinch: heres my 2p.

Nothing has changed folks, previously there was an extended trial allowing motorcycles to share some of the bus lanes, this is now permanent.

Beware though, this is from TransportForLondon who are in charge of red routes only (main thoroughfares) you can tell them by the red lines painted at the side of the road. All other bus routes are controlled by the local boroughs, stray into them while operational & you will still receive one of those revenue generating letters through the post :evil:

It is really difficult to tell which are which if an unknown route, always look at the signs & keep clear of any that don't have a motorbike sign. I got 2 in a week from a bus lane that changes lanes on the approach to Hammersmith, I strayed into it while filtering through stationary traffic so am very careful these days.

Paul
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

P4ulie wrote:As a regular commuter through most of London heres my 2p.

Nothing has changed folks, previously there was an extended trial allowing motorcycles to share some of the bus lanes, this is now permanent.

Beware though, this is from TransportForLondon who are in charge of red routes only (main thoroughfares) you can tell them by the red lines painted at the side of the road. All other bus routes are controlled by the local boroughs, stray into them while operational & you will still receive one of those revenue generating letters through the post :evil:

Paul
Sounds like an even bigger mess than it was before then. At least then the rule was easy - just stay off them. If you're someone who regularly rides in London armed only with "the simple sword of truth and the trusty shield of British fair play" to guide you through the urban jungle then you might eventually figure out where you can and can't ride. The rest of us are just sheep to the slaughter.

Anyone know of an app that helps you figure out London driving restrictions- what with congestion charging, low emmissions, bus lanes etc it's getting harder to work out than the motorcycle licence maze. :angry: :angry:

The ups and downs of 40 years on two wheels

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Do the best you can, then try to live it down.

CCM604 Honda XR600 Honda CBX1000

Honda 400/4 Yamaha XS2 650 Kawasaki H1 500

Lotus Elan, Land Rover Discovery
scouse

Post by scouse »

backofbeyond wrote:
Anyone know of an app that helps you figure out London driving restrictions- what with congestion charging, low emmissions, bus lanes etc it's getting harder to work out than the motorcycle licence maze. :angry: :angry:
Here you go - best option really - :D
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

You're right, probably the best way round London - when the b*stards are running. Back in the autumn we went up to see my son who's at uni in New Cross and half the lines were not shut because of strikes.

The ups and downs of 40 years on two wheels

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Do the best you can, then try to live it down.

CCM604 Honda XR600 Honda CBX1000

Honda 400/4 Yamaha XS2 650 Kawasaki H1 500

Lotus Elan, Land Rover Discovery

Return to “North London”