Green Laning Sunday 4th September

bumblebeemer

Green Laning Sunday 4th September

Post by bumblebeemer »

I have mentioned in the past that I am happy to lead a small group to do some green laning in Hertfordshire.

I have a pass out on Sunday the 4th September. As this is our first meet, I suggest we start off with a gentle run. I have tracks that will last us all day but we will never be too far from the A10 so people can drop out as they wish. I suggest we meet at
9.30 am at the Total Service Station - Broxbourne High Street, EN10 6PY ( going North , on the right before Cozens Lane East ).
reedro72

Re: Green Laning Sunday 4th September

Post by reedro72 »

I may be up for this , just check with the wife
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

I'd love to come out and play but i'm already booked to go Big Bike Rally Training in Wales that weekend.
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
bumblebeemer

Post by bumblebeemer »

Good luck with the course. You can show us how it is done next time we go out !
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

I'd be up for this but if I did my life wouldn't be worth living, its my wedding anniversary. :pinch:

Maybe next time. :)
"The distant echo of faraway voices boarding far away trains,

To take them home to the ones that they love and who love them forever......."
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

This sounds great, but I'm not certain if my bike's big enough to keep up, what would you recommend? Is it knobblies only?
Happiness has 125cc ...
bumblebeemer

Post by bumblebeemer »

I will not be racing or going fast. The challenge is to get down the lanes in one piece with a big grin on your face. These lanes can be done on anything from a 250 trails bike to a 1200GS. The first one down each lane waits until the last one catches up so no one gets left behind. If someone gets stuck then we all help out.

Unfortunately what bike and tyres to use is all down to the riders ability and how wet the ground is. As an example, if you are an off road novice, and the ground is wet, I would not recommend you go on road tyres riding a 1200GS.

I have always found knobblies to be best unless it has not rained for a while and the ground is dry.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Well I was out on the Hertfordshire lanes ths afternoon when the monsoon seemed to have arrived :woohoo:

OK I was on enduro tyres but to be honest apart from some fairly big puddles, the lanes themselves remained prety solid. Hertfordshire County Council has had a policy in recent years of re-surfacing byways with crushed concrete, so even when they get a bit muddy, there's a nice firm base undeneath.

And remember the smaller/lighter the bike the easy it will be to ride, whatever tyres you are running.

As for is it big enough to keep up? The TRF Code of Conduct is to keep under 25mph on lanes anyway and to be honest you spend most of the time going a lot slower.
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

Well, put me down for a provisional yes then, I'm not 100% as I'm missing 125cc and only have road tyres, but if the weather holds then I'm guessing it'll be much the same as the gravel tracks I've ridden in France. Don't want to hold anyone up though.
Happiness has 125cc ...
bumblebeemer

Post by bumblebeemer »

As some of you can not make it and there is only one provisional, I am going to postpone this.

I will arrange another date for later on in September, possibly the 18th or 25th. See you soon.

Return to “North London”