Green laning

northlondoncookie

Green laning

Post by northlondoncookie »

From Palooka - Anyone up for a spot of green laning in the next few weeks?
Just one thing to bear in mind though....
I have no idea where they are!!!!!!!!!!
I got a R1200gs and I've been to the Ace Cafe on it
I've also got a WR250 and I want to get dirty.
Any ideas, anyone?

Mad Cow, 2011-07-03 16:23:39 [Remove]
I'm up for it, i'm new here but do know where all the green lanes are as i'm the Hertfordshire rep for the Green Lane Association (GLASS). I'll be on my CCM but know plenty of big bike friendly routes. I'm pretty free on weekends in July except the 16/17th

Palooka, 2011-07-04 18:30:36 [Remove]
Sounds good, I'm away until early August, I'll send you a message then.
Looking forward to it.
northlondoncookie

Re: Green laning

Doing the Offroad course in Sept in Wales maybe after that! Don't have anything small at the moment.
royle100

Post by royle100 »

there's this site, but doesn't seem to cover north london / hertfordshire etc

http://www.qwerf.com/greenlaning/

best bet is to buy a few OS maps and meet up with local TRF to mark up the byways

good luck & enjoy the offroad course in wales
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."....Easy Rider
Selous

Post by Selous »

royle100 wrote:meet up with local TRF
mm the guys i met where most helpful - NOT although I am yet to meet more of the Essex / Suffolk guys to form a firm opinion

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com
Norm De Plume

Post by Norm De Plume »

Selous wrote:
royle100 wrote:meet up with local TRF
mm the guys i met where most helpful - NOT although I am yet to meet more of the Essex / Suffolk guys to form a firm opinion
Essex TRF are very active and should help you out. I ride with Suffolk TRF regularly and we're a smaller group but happy to chat and advise.

Are you interested in a ride on Saturday? http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... -july.html
flyinwalrus

Post by flyinwalrus »

Know what you mean selous, but there will be plenty of people who'd turn up once to a TRF meeting hoping to get loads of info on lanes , never to show an interest in the TRF again. So suppose you can understand why they might be a little cagey initially?:)
I can live more in 5 minutes on this motorcycle,than some people can live all their lives!
Norm De Plume

Post by Norm De Plume »

Flyinwalrus, I know what you mean. In our area there are some well publicised routes that can be easily researched and those are the ones we initially point people at, preferably as part of a TRF ride. Once we've been on a ride with someone, we can generally get a good idea of whether they are in it to contribute or to just leech lanes.

If people want to ride legal trails and really don't want to get involved with the TRF then they need to start by looking at the Trailwise website and then start to cross reference against the Definitive Map and List of Streets for the relevant councils involved. It's a lot of grief and these maps are often only available at Council buildings Monday-Friday. That's possibly another reason why people are wary of doing all the research, only to find that some Johnny-come-latelys annoy the locals and start a campaign to get the same lanes closed.
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

northlondoncookie wrote:From Palooka - Anyone up for a spot of green laning in the next few weeks?
Just one thing to bear in mind though....
I have no idea where they are!!!!!!!!!!
I got a R1200gs and I've been to the Ace Cafe on it
I've also got a WR250 and I want to get dirty.
Any ideas, anyone?

Mad Cow, 2011-07-03 16:23:39 [Remove]
I'm up for it, i'm new here but do know where all the green lanes are as i'm the Hertfordshire rep for the Green Lane Association (GLASS). I'll be on my CCM but know plenty of big bike friendly routes. I'm pretty free on weekends in July except the 16/17th

Palooka, 2011-07-04 18:30:36 [Remove]
Sounds good, I'm away until early August, I'll send you a message then.
Looking forward to it.
There are a few nice lanes near Rykas in Dorking

Get a OS of the area.
Or join me when you got time during the week as i am exploring new lanes here in Essex:woohoo:
I dont need a MP3 player on my bike.The voices in my head sing to me all the time
northlondoncookie

Just curious if I am looking at an OS map - which roads/byways, rights of way can you legally ride down under public rights of way. I see footpath, bridleway and byway and restricted byways (which says you can't ride down them with a mechanically propelled vehicle). Thanks
Norm De Plume

Post by Norm De Plume »

northlondoncookie wrote:Just curious if I am looking at an OS map - which roads/byways, rights of way can you legally ride down under public rights of way. I see footpath, bridleway and byway and restricted byways (which says you can't ride down them with a mechanically propelled vehicle). Thanks
It's a bit of a minefield, but the only trails that you can legally ride are Byways (Byways Open to All Traffic) and UUCRs (Unsealed Unsurfaced County Roads). However, some Byways have restrictions and some (very few) Restricted Byways have vehicular permissions.

I'd normally recommend to get in touch with a local TRF, but failing that, have a look at the Trailwise website for some pointers. Please bear in mind that Trailwise is not a definitive source so you could still get in trouble by relying on it.

Return to “North London”