Project!

Andy17

Project!

Post by Andy17 »

Hi all, I’m starting an engineering project for my college course and I was wanting to hear about your thoughts and opinions. I’m redesigning the typical bike stand as it must be mechanically operated. Now I’m not going to Dragons Den to make Millions! I had three initial ideas to start with which could potentially become a very good idea! :)

1) My first idea was to have a rear wheel bike stand with a similar structure compared to a normal design except built with a rolling road – Like a Dyno! The rolling road would be designed to rotate the rear wheel and the chain at the same time. Therefore while the wheel is moving, the chain can be lubricated with oil with an accurate aim without moving the wheel by hand. Now, I know most bike have centre stands which makes the idea sound useless but if you think about it. Not all bikes are designed with one! You have one hand rotating the rear wheel and the other applying the lube. The chances are especially from my own experience that the speed of the wheel is likely to change. Which means the chain won’t have an even consistency of oil on all areas. Plus with the other hand, aiming for the chain lube can possibly get oil on the tire! :woohoo:

2) My second idea was to make a compact bike stand suitable for storage and possibly travel. Normal stands can be quite big and heavy to store so I thought it would be a good idea to have one light, strong and small. Perhaps one small enough to fit in a top box? It could be made of a light but strong metal alloy? With a folding mechanism to making a larger scale of the stand?

3) My third idea was to have a box which splits into two sections with a retractable metal ramp in-between. The idea is to have a whole bike off the ground and level on the ramp. Which means it can become more accessible to checking oil levels without asking someone to hold the bike level. I also thought it would good idea to have caster wheels on the bottom. So the bike doesn't have to go through difficult manoeuvres to be positioned. It could move sideways, forwards, backwards and rotate.

So there you go three initial ideas for my bike stand. I would love to hear what you think. I know there are some things which will need looking into but you know what they say. Never say never! :laugh:
IainD

Re: Project!

Post by IainD »

I would go for option 4.

Option 4 is a stand that is operated similarly to a bottle jack only it works with two extending ram legs rather than one. One on each swing arm side (or front wheel fork) direct or via bobbin. Obviously need to ensure they are operating at the same rate.

This gives the ability to adjust lift, reduces requirement for stands to one and has the advantage over a paddock stand of not having to balance the bike and try to lift at the same time (I would design a pedal to push it up that can be worked while holding the bike upright)

You can have this idea for 25% of your profit :lol:
puppycharmer

Post by puppycharmer »

Hi Andy 17.
i have designed several bike stands and sold them with some success over the years. Hear is my opinion of your ideas. You did ask.
1; First off, a rolling road and a dyno are two different things entirely.When making any sort of pitch it is important to get your facts right. Turning the wheel by hand to apply chain lube is perfectly acceptable or just start the engine, clutch drag will usually rotate the wheel at a gentle rate.
2; I have never known anyone to enquire about such a thing. It is unlikely that a workable compromise between weight, compactness and viability as a stand could be reached. Feel free to try and prove me wrong.
3; This one sounds like a work bench on wheels - not a particularly original concept - and you don't state how the machine is actually held upright. Your description was quite poor though, I would like to see a more precise explanation.

The fact is that rear wheel stands are pretty much done and dusted. Now, if you could come up with a truly versatile - if not universal - front wheel stand, preferably one that allows for removal of the fork legs that would be a worthwhile product.

My blunt response to your appeal is well intended, I would be genuinely happy to assist you in any way that I am able. Feel free to get in touch via pm
Pass
johnzxr750

Post by johnzxr750 »

Option 5 a stand that can be used in conjuction wit the front wheel and side stand so as to lift the rear wheel inthe air whilst being stable enough to spin the ear wheel round enough to lube the chain rather than a paddock stand or someone leaning the bike over
What do you think?
Cheers j :woohoo:
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

No.2 please. I don't have a centre stand, and no one makes an aftermarket version so a lightweight folding stand that will keep the bike upright not canted over like those legs that go on the other sideof the sidestand would be perfect.
Happiness has 125cc ...
eforde

Post by eforde »

I'd be interested in option 3. Would mean I don't need to reverse in my shed. That or else I will have to get a bike with reverse, :-)
Andy5520

Post by Andy5520 »

I can't remember the details or name but there's a small prop kinda thing out there - it's a U-section metal piece, maybe 10" long, hinged in the middle that goes under the swing arm & you kick it in to lock (with front brake on) and it lifts the rear wheel so the bike is on the prop, side stand and front wheel.
Anyone remember or got details for the OP?
Andy5520

Post by Andy5520 »

Can't find the actual item but it's similar to;

HERE
Mickdb1

Post by Mickdb1 »

Option 7 would be a stand similar to a paddock stand with total interchangeable head adapters to lift all areas of almost any bike with hydraulic rams on both legs lifting together
JMOOC
You dont pack up biking when you grow old

You grow old when you pack up biking
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

@Puppycharmer, nothing like giving a college kid some encouragement eh? There are some very important words in the OP's post they are:

"college engineering project"

Like the OP said, he's not taking it into the dragons den.

It doesn't need to have a sales pitch, it doesn't need to have market demand, it doesn't need to be better than a competitive product that already exists, and it doesn't need to be commercially viable.

It just needs to be a clever bit of engineering.

Personally I like the hydraulic lift idea, and if you make it adjustable with a variety of options for hooking into the bike, so you can lift rear wheel (and allow it to spin or be removed), the front wheel (likewise) or the frame (and still allow rear swingarm to be removed) then you have a winner in my book.

If you really want an clever engineering challenge, make something that will lift both double and single sided swingarm bikes, and still allow the rear wheel to be removed.

These guys are the market leaders, http://www.abbastands.co.uk/ have a look at what they do and see if you could improve on it.

The rolling road idea, could just be a cylinder on a wheel that springs against the tyre and rotates it (keep the motorbike wheel rotation slow and easily stopped just by grabbing the wheel, so your not likely to take anyones fingers off). Google for dynamo powered bicycle lights (they are a bit before your time) and see if you can draw some inspiration from how they work.

The travel stand is a good one too. When away from home I just put the sidestand down on the left, find a fallen stump of wood the right length, push the bike over onto sidestand and prop it up under the engine on the rear right with the piece of wood, leaving the rear wheel in the air and free to be rotated or removed. Not always easy to find a suitable bit of wood though, so can you adapt on that idea and make a small telescopic extendable rod, that locks into place at a variable length (perhaps with a twist) and a rubber foot on each end that that can just replace the bit of wood. That's not much of a project in itself, but it could be a bonus giveaway that goes with the other stand, and you'd get points for putting in that bit of extra work.

Clever engineering challenge on that one, make it strong enough to use as a breaker bar and accept a 1/2" socket at one end, for loosening the rear wheel nut before you prop up the bike. I'd buy that without a doubt.

Go for your life, good luck, and keep us posted with how you get on.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Return to “South East”