Good weather this weekend - time to ride!

Steve T

Good weather this weekend - time to ride!

Post by Steve T »

Thinking of taking a run out to the west coast on Saturday or Sunday coming, possibly taking in some of the north coast as well. Which ever day, planning to be at Skiach services for a 10am bacon roll, leaving thereafter with a full tank and no real plan except to ride.

Anyone local fancy a ride?

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
Dark Knight

Re: Good weather this weekend - time to ride!

Post by Dark Knight »

Yes, the forecast looks good for the weekend.
Thinking about a run up to Tyndrum and maybe round by Dalmany, up the west coast and back round by Balahulish and Glen Coe.
Need to check what my son and mates are doing at the weekend.
Steve T

Re: Good weather this weekend - time to ride!

Post by Steve T »

That was fun . . . .

Me, The Mountie & Rickskye braved the elephants and rode out into the hills that inhabit the north of Scotland.

Met Rick at the truckers café at Skiach, Alness, then rode north by north-west, with a very strong tail wind that helped propel us beyond the normal road speeds travelled up here. Of course, when we eventually headed west, the very strong tail wind turned into the mother of all cross-winds. But we made it to Ullapool, via the scenic route, without incident. Fully fuelled up and drained of excess fluids, we headed for the Gairloch Loop, cos it’s very scenic as well and at this time of year there are very, very few tourists. We did encounter a few, but they were very nice tourists that moved out of our way quickly on our approach.
Various stops were made on route, to fill out the ever expanding volume of the ADVScotland Quest logs of both myself and the Mountie, plus one other very important stop in Gairloch to sample the hospitality of one of the locals. Non stop supply of tea and bacon rolls was experienced – cheers Ian for hosting us and listening to our B-sh1t..
We carried on with the ride, heading due south, this time into the very strong tailwind – that’ll be a very strong headwind then! Much scenery was viewed and not many photo’s of relevance were taken by me - too many bends on an empty road to enjoy for taking photo’s.
Rick headed due west for home at Achnasheen, leaving me & the Mountie running into the wind on the winding roads. Some local Sunday drivers had ventured forth by the afternoon, so many enjoyable over-takes were made when the opportunity was encountered, adding to the fun of the days ride.

306 miles from and too my front door for me, all covered on the new-too-me Honda NC700. And fun miles they were, made all the more fun every time we fuelled up, seeing the Mountie face as I poured measely amounts of un-leaded into the miniscule 14 ltr tank that the NC is endowed with, whilst his Varadero did a great impression of the Exxon Valdise, in reverse, as it sucked in huge quantities of motion lotion.
The NC ain’t no off road machine – it’s a 17” wheeled eco-commuter (I think I’ve just invented a bike class), that’ll take you anywhere you want to go, if you’ve got the cahoona’s to go there on it. Today, for me, it was an ace bend beater, that has a turn of speed via low down grunt that makes me smile.

Braemor Junction

Bike near River

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride

Return to “Scotland”