wild camping?

The Wilbur

Re: wild camping?

Post by The Wilbur »

Drink the local Whisky!

When it starts to exude from your pores, the midges think you are a local and leave you alone.

That's what I'm going to try at Ullapool anyway.

:P
SUCK : SQUEEZE : BANG : BLOW

www.f650.co.uk
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

I unpacked my tent once and found I'd left the pegs at home, that made me wild! :S
"The distant echo of faraway voices boarding far away trains,

To take them home to the ones that they love and who love them forever......."
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

The Wilbur wrote:Drink the local Whisky!

When it starts to exude from your pores, the midges think you are a local and leave you alone.

That's what I'm going to try at Ullapool anyway.

:P
You are not going to be alone in trying this tried and tested midge repellant.. :laugh:

Hopefully by the end of sept , there will not be so many about ... midge that is !
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Jelly wrote:I unpacked my tent once and found I'd left the pegs at home, that made me wild! :S
both the Mrs and I burst out laughing at this one, back on form then mate.... :whistle: :pinch: cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

I once went camping and discovered I had left the poles at home!

Didn't get wild but decided to go down the pub instead, staggered back pissed and managed to pitch the tent under a large tree by attaching the guy ropes to the branches....

I bet i'd never have managed it sober :laugh:

I've suffered the regular midge attack as i've spent 10 years working at the Mountain Bike World Cup at Fort William, Skin So Soft don't work for me so I always volunteer for the start of the downhill, at 2000' you're well above the "midge line"

On wild camping in Scotland I seem to recall you are supposed to camp at least 100m away from a public road or any property
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Oh yes, here's the official advice on "digging holes"..... :whistle:

Where to 'Go' outdoors

Human sanitation in the outdoors is as essential as other outdoor skills. If public toilets aren't available the best method to dispose of excrement is usually to bury, but this needs to be done sensitively.

If you need to urinate or defecate, do so more than 30m away from open water, rivers and
streams. Keep well away from buildings and farm animals. Dig a hole approximately 15-20cm deep and 10-15cm in diameter to bury faeces and
replace the turf.
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
Throttled

Post by Throttled »

You can in the National Parks and Forestry Commission land but they ask you abide with the Scottish Outdoor Access code

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/

Both have various designated camp sites anyway.
YBR125 > KLE500 + KLE650 Versys Tourer
hodgerydoo

Post by hodgerydoo »

i think the general rule of wild camping is arrive late, leave early, and no-one will know you were there, if the local rozzers see you at 5pm they will probably feel duty bound to move you on, after 9 and dark they will probably turn a blind eye. can you pitch in the dark though??? :ohmy:
moto al

Post by moto al »

hodgerydoo wrote:i think the general rule of wild camping is arrive late, leave early, and no-one will know you were there, if the local rozzers see you at 5pm they will probably feel duty bound to move you on, after 9 and dark they will probably turn a blind eye. can you pitch in the dark though??? :ohmy:
hi bud thank god i live in scotland we have the freedom of access law & you can camp anywhwere.cheers al
moto al
davsato

Post by davsato »

moto al wrote:
hodgerydoo wrote:i think the general rule of wild camping is arrive late, leave early, and no-one will know you were there, if the local rozzers see you at 5pm they will probably feel duty bound to move you on, after 9 and dark they will probably turn a blind eye. can you pitch in the dark though??? :ohmy:
hi bud thank god i live in scotland we have the freedom of access law & you can camp anywhwere.cheers al
yeah no need of stealth camping cos wild camping is legal in scotland. i just wondered what the form was
Dave

Return to “Scotland”