wild camping?

Redmurty

Re: wild camping?

Post by Redmurty »

davsato wrote:
Redmurty wrote:
davsato wrote:cheers guys, yes ive heard about the midges!
answered my own question and found VISIT SCOTLAND and THE SCOTTISH OUTDOOR ACCESS CODE
why dont we have something like that down here?
(im on the british mainland but i live nearer the mediterranean than the north coast of scotland, that was a weird thought)
Go south then young man, although the west coast is truely hard to beat, you need a stop off spare bed or big lawn here. cheers Spud ;)

PS I'm heading south on the 13th
spud you'd be welcome mate but on the 12th im leaving for bordeaux! :laugh:
thats what i meant, its easier for me living in portsmouth on the south coast to jump on a ferry and chase the sun, but i looked on the map and realised ive never been further north than edinburger and thats a big chunk of land with not much in it ive missed out on.

it'll have to be next year now anyway, cant spare any more time away. blat up the M6, 1st stop at paul & marias takoda camping, then next day its what, 70 miles to scotland? might wait till the ullapool rally and incorporate that in it too.
that scottish access thing is brilliant, wish we had it down here but no illusions what state the countryside would soon be in, folks have zero respect these days.
I was'nt plugging for a bed, I was offering you one on the way north. I'm heading to south west France from the 13th on wards, Pompey Caen, Poitiers, Lot and the mountains. I will be on a Blue Tiger Yellow helmet if our paths cross, I'll get the brews in cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
RH_SCOTLAND

Post by RH_SCOTLAND »

First thing first, you MUST bring a mosquito head net. Get a good bug repellant. I have used Autan for years. But you will get a hundred answers on which repellant is best.

Wild camping. Legal in Scotland. But...

Obviously not in gardens, commercial properties etc. Enclosed spaces is a term used. Do not disturb or damage crops, that is still an offence. If you are gonna camp, if there is someone around that is likely to own the ground, simple manners to ask. I have never been refused. Oh aye, watch out for MOD property, lots of it up here. Some places you will get away with camping (Sand Bay Applecross) others not (Faslane, West Freugh). There are definately some MOD sites where you may well be woken by a strange man pointing a gun at you....

Take your rubbish with you. Dig a decent depth of hole if you are gonna take a dump, and cover it up.

Open fires, on a beach not a problem. If you are on someones property they might not want you to. They can legally stop you doing that I think. Again, keep it safe. Bushes, trees, grass, crops, property etc. Dont start a blaze.

If you have specific places to stop in mind, ask peeps on here about specifics and I am sure there will be a load of suggestions and local knowledge as to where is quiet, picturesque etc.

For the boring, legal aspects and rights etc look here...

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/o ... d-camping/
Some people are alive simply because its illegal to kill them....
moto al

Post by moto al »

hi bud give me a pm & il give you a couple of prema wild camping site,s dave ac and my self found a belter ,cheers al & nae midges
037.JPG
037.JPG (119.29 KiB) Viewed 6775 times
moto al
JiMcI

Post by JiMcI »

If you do head for Scotland, Avon body lotion is what you need to keep the midges at bay.

Seriously, it works
Its Avon skin so soft spray and only the woodland green one even works for horses..

Keeping midges from pestering horses not horses from pestering humans hahaa.

Jim..
SPEN

Post by SPEN »

Used DEET ,avon skin soft ,jungle spray the bas..ds still ate me alive
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Tried the green Avon skin so soft once, swear it attracted more of the buggers, eaten alive! I use Boots Tropical Strength 50% deet. It stinks and it burns your face, it tastes awful when you lick your lips, but it works.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

PS: I bought a multipack of 6 bottles, so if anyone who really believes in the stuff wants to buy some cheap....
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
davsato

Post by davsato »

so with a bit of common sense wild camping is straightforward then, as long as i bury my poo, slaver on cheap smellies and dont watch "the wicker man" before i go?
Dave
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

Many people recommend skin so soft , but does not work for me .

Many recommend deet based , but I had a nasty reaction to these..

After lots of research for the last 3 - 4 years .. on Mull, skye , watching everyone get bitten at glen coe.. *Again*.. I can highly recommend this stuff..

Deet Free .. watch out because Lifesystems do about 10 different ones..

Lifesystems Natural Plus 40+ Insect Repellent

And bring a head net ..

Good luck .. maybe see you at Ullapool
davsato

Post by davsato »

LargeWayRound wrote: maybe see you at Ullapool
cheers craig it wont be this year now, but next year
Dave

Return to “Scotland”