wild camping?

davsato

wild camping?

Post by davsato »

kind of planning a week round the highlands on my own to get away from it all for a bit, whats the chances of getting away with wild camping, especially round the coast?
Dave
Redmurty

Re: wild camping?

Post by Redmurty »

Unless I am mistaken it legal to wild camp in Scotland cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Willy_Eckerslike

Post by Willy_Eckerslike »

The only problems you'll have will be midge sized.
A ship is safe in harbour, but that’s not what ships are for. – Grace Hopper
davsato

Post by davsato »

cheers guys, yes ive heard about the midges!
answered my own question and found VISIT SCOTLAND and THE SCOTTISH OUTDOOR ACCESS CODE
why dont we have something like that down here?
(im on the british mainland but i live nearer the mediterranean than the north coast of scotland, that was a weird thought)
Dave
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

davsato wrote:cheers guys, yes ive heard about the midges!
answered my own question and found VISIT SCOTLAND and THE SCOTTISH OUTDOOR ACCESS CODE
(im on the british mainland but i live nearer the mediterranean than the north coast of scotland, that was a weird thought)
Go south then young man, although the west coast is truely hard to beat, you need a stop off spare bed or big lawn here. cheers Spud ;)

PS I'm heading south on the 13th
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

davsato wrote:kind of planning a week round the highlands on my own to get away from it all for a bit, whats the chances of getting away with wild camping, especially round the coast?
Just pack a trowel to dig a hole for essential functions then pray it doesn't rain. Basically you can camp anywhere as long as you're not being a nuisance though stealth mode is always a good idea.
davsato

Post by davsato »

Redmurty wrote:
davsato wrote:cheers guys, yes ive heard about the midges!
Go south then young man, although the west coast is truely hard to beat, you need a stop off spare bed or big lawn here. cheers Spud ;)

PS I'm heading south on the 13th
spud you'd be welcome mate but on the 12th im leaving for bordeaux! :laugh:
thats what i meant, its easier for me living in portsmouth on the south coast to jump on a ferry and chase the sun, but i looked on the map and realised ive never been further north than edinburger and thats a big chunk of land with not much in it ive missed out on.

it'll have to be next year now anyway, cant spare any more time away. blat up the M6, 1st stop at paul & marias takoda camping, then next day its what, 70 miles to scotland? might wait till the ullapool rally and incorporate that in it too.
that scottish access thing is brilliant, wish we had it down here but no illusions what state the countryside would soon be in, folks have zero respect these days.
Dave
Road2Manchester

Post by Road2Manchester »

Isle of Arran, beach camp easy to find , great sun set. Though I would leave my gear there unattended. Spent 2 nights there with run aroud the island in betwween

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en
cam to gif

If you ride like the wind, expect to get blown away. One lifetime is all we get use it wisely this ain;t no practise.
Diesel Pete

Post by Diesel Pete »

If you do head for Scotland, Avon body lotion is what you need to keep the midges at bay.

Seriously, it works
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Pete, it only works for some people, not all. Better off with 100% deet, works for everyone, just keep it away from plastic.

Return to “Scotland”