Recommend Me A Mobile Mechanic

numptyspence

Recommend Me A Mobile Mechanic

Post by numptyspence »

HI

I can do most jobs on a bike but i have never replaced the shims. I am nearly 4000 miles over due from the service interval (i know its not the end of the world but!!!).

So i am after a mobile mechanic that cam come out and do the job preferably with me helping, so that next time i can do it my self (if i want!).

If it helps im in Leeds.

Any help appreciated.
Richard Simpson

Re: Recommend Me A Mobile Mechanic

Post by Richard Simpson »

First get a workshop manual

I'd make a start by checking the valve clearances which is easy on most bikes, and can be done without disturbing anything much except the rocker covers/cambox (except Desmo Ducatis).

You may find they are all within limits anyway.

TBH it's only valves that are too tight that are a real problem; loose ones just mean a bit more mechanical noise in most cases.

If they are tight then the best thing to do is make discrete inquiries with the workshop staff at a local bike dealer to see if they can fit you in on a Sunday at home!

Trouble with shim valves is that you need to calculate the size of shim required to restore clearance: and the size marking sometimes wear off the shims that are in the bike, so you need to be confident of your ability to measure the things.

Screw and locknut was much easier.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

I dowt a mechanic is willing to cut his own buisness off..but being as its a Honda does it really need doing..
Have you asked on the xrv forum or varadero forum if they need doing regularly or if someone can show you how..but shims are a bitch as against normal types..better slack than tight...my ta65o shouold be checked every 12k but never been done in 50k..and all nice and quite..it takes longer to get at them than do them..
Elle

Post by Elle »

Hi, he's not mobile, but I can highly recommend Stuart Rafferty who has a small workshop in York (no shop or dealer price tag). He came highly recommended by many of my local IAM group and I used him to service my Honda's.
http://www.stuartraffertymotorcycles.co.uk/
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
numptyspence

Post by numptyspence »

Well i found a guy and he has just left after doing a great job.

I wanted a good mechanic who would show me how to do it so i could do it myself the next time if i wanted/needed, and this guy really delivered.

IF anyone want to learn about maintenance or just wants a competitive price i would really recommend Bobs Mobile Motorcycle Services - 01924 467240

He was even talking about starting a maintenance course taking you from the basic up to doing thing like shims.

Return to “Yorkshire”