Lake District trails

Lord Sut

Lake District trails

Post by Lord Sut »

Having enjoyed The Stella, I thought that I'd try some trails closer to home. Looking at the Councils website a couple of trails caught my eye. U2199 and U2195, south of Cockermouth. Does anyone know the suitability of these trails for a novice on a 955 tiger with well worn road tyres?
Mad Cow

Re: Lake District trails

Post by Mad Cow »

I've not done them myself but both were featured in Land Rover Owner International Magazine a while back. Their comments were copied onto the members area of Trailwise:

U2195 - "turn off for road signed "Unfit for Cars". Lane has washouts at southern end but soon settles down. Fantastic Views"

U2199 - "Start is at a staggered junction, between walls. Reasonably firm route with great views over the Cocker Valley"

From what I recall from the general article both were described as "non challenging" and capable of being driven with care by "ordinary cars" so a Tiger with well worn road tyres might be OK

More details on the HOTR section of the Cumbria CC website HERE

Which has comments like:

For U2195; "Broken tarmac with some potholes" and "Clear, flat track with pot holes". The surface is described as "Broken Tarmac 100%"

and for U2199; "Old broken tarmac with ruts and potholes" and " Decaying road with hedges and trees to both sides, Excellent views". Again the surface is described as "Broken Tarmac 100%"
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
Lord Sut

Post by Lord Sut »

Thanks Mad Cow. That doesn't sound too frightening, so I'll have a look tomorrow all being well. :)
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Just remember, when you are out on your own;

It will be your secret when you decide that discrection is the better part of valour and turn back, so nobody else needs know.

And getting stuck under your bike with nobody about can really spoil your day.

So take it easy!

How do I know? I once didn't turn round when I should of and spend four hours in a very muddy rut underneath a R80GS for my trouble :woohoo: I am still eternally grateful to the guy and his son who came across me whilst out walking and helped rescue me. And all this in darkest Essex less than 30 miles from London!!!
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
Marra

Post by Marra »

The 2195 is worst on the top, not like craters or stuff, just washed out, some of the puddles if it's been raining are pretty deep. At the Loweswater end it's tarmac with grass growing in the middle, going down that way, and it gets steep could be interesting as there's a lot of moss/pine needles on the road. One thing to watch out for is farmers just parking on the road and blocking it, mainly at the Loweswater end.

The 2199 is worst at the Mosser end, washed out tarmac, gravel and potholes, and if it's been raining a pretty good impression of a hefty stream. Couple of spots you have to pick your line and go for it, easier going up. Lorton end is tarmac with a hairpin bend, you can see it on the map.

You might do the 2195 in an ordinary car if you didn't care about it, 2199 probably in a 4x4 only, coz of the Mosser end.

Just watch out for crazy out of control mountain bikers too, one might be me :woohoo:
Lord Sut

Post by Lord Sut »

Well I went out and bagged my first Green lanes. They'e very much as you describe Marra. My only moments were when I inadvertently strayed onto wet grass. No problems with farmers and the few ramblers that I met returned my smile, so no bother on that score either. For my first time out and solo at that, the lanes were ideal. Those mounted on enduro machines would undoubtably find them a bit tame, though the scenery's nice enough to be worth a look anyway.
Does this qualify me as a bloody big bike rough roads type?
IMG_2244.JPG
IMG_2244.JPG (87.13 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
Attachments
IMG_2246.jpg
IMG_2246.jpg (126.56 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
Lord Sut

Post by Lord Sut »

more
IMG_2246_2011-08-02.jpg
IMG_2246_2011-08-02.jpg (126.56 KiB) Viewed 2342 times

Marra

Post by Marra »

Good pics, the second one is where I encountered Mr 'I-can-park-anywhere-farmer' I first went over there on a Honda Dommie years ago, not too exciting for full on off roadie harcore riders but enough for me and my occasional dabble onto gravelly stuff.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Lord Sut wrote:Does this qualify me as a bloody big bike rough roads type?
I would definately say so, the pictures I posted were much milder* and i've got my sticker!

*One was of my F800GS on the Byway through great Langdale, worth "ticking off the list" if you're down that way but not as challenging as those two
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG

Return to “North West”