Wild Atlantic Way...in a week?

TomBoyNI

Wild Atlantic Way...in a week?

Post by TomBoyNI »

So here's a question for some of you more experienced travellers, Irish / Norn Irish guys...

Is the Wild Atlantic Way 'doable' in a week?

I get that you could easily spend a month or two taking it in, and I plan to do it in sections win the better half over time. But is it doable in a week. I'll be going on my own with the intention of seeing the scenery, and keep going rather than stopping at every pit stop. Minimal stops, camping up when you reach the end of the day and crackin on the next day.

I understand it will be long days in the saddle, but 200-300 miles a day must be achievable? All I can do at this stage of the year is a weeks holiday so I'm stuck with that and like a challenge.

Also I'll be looking to take in the absolute main sights. So if you can recommend any must sees it would be most appreciative.
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
Flintlock

Re: Wild Atlantic Way...in a week?

Post by Flintlock »

It's 1500 miles so should be easily covered over 7 days which would be around 215 miles per day. With the long daylight hours and and early start you should also be able to have lots of stops/breaks
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

Aye that's what I was thinking too. Has to worth a shot. And suppose you're never really that far away from home.
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

To give you an example, I did 300 miles last Saturday, left the house at 06.30 and was home at 1.30 in the afternoon, a mixture of roads, so 215 miles per day should be no problem.
V_King

Post by V_King »

200-300 miles/day on A/B roads in a relaxed enjoyable paste, with a proper breakfast and a stop for lunch is more than doable and enjoyable B)
""
Heff

Post by Heff »

TomBoy, having done some of it last year, I don't think 1 week is nearly enough. :S

I will do it again, but this is what I would do.

Take a week off. Ride down to Kinsale using the motorways and toll roads, to get there as soon as. Hit the WAW and ride it at your leisure. When your time is up, head for home. Take off another week, and start where you last finished, and away you go again.

You can always find somewhere to camp, if you give yourself enough time to find it. If you plan to do the WAW in its entirety, some of the places are one road in and out, eating into your time and miles in the saddle. The roads are fantastic, the scenery is even better, and photo stops, almost everywhere you look. Time will just disappear and after a week, you will be saying to yourself "Where did those 7 days go".

The Gap of Dunloe is outstanding,

Just be prepared for the traditional Irish weather. Campsites and B&Bs are by the dozen and shouldn't be any problem off season.

I'm not jealous one bit, really :(

We can discuss further over the weekend (thumbs)
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

If you got a week of sunshine, then 200 odd miles a day on those roads would be awesome and very achievable. But you will suffer overload as you try to take it all in. I did long stretches on it like that and it is enjoyable in good weather and you don't need a mad pace. Just break it regularly for photo/fuel/drink/food stops and it works better if you don't combine them but take your stops no more than an hour apart. Some of the places are best taken in a particular direction or at a articular time of day. Its worth the shot and will leave you wanting for more.

But, if you want to take the better half on it trying in a week with her on the back may not be the best idea.

I love camping and it makes the trip but moving camp every morning to an early deadline is not something I go in for too often.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

10 days until I hit the WAW, but planning on taking 2 weeks. Want to see some of the sights, and allow for taking it easy on the odd wet day.
Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Hi there.
been back a week now from my attempt to do waw . 5 day's on the waw it's very difficult to see it I started at the cliffs of Moher and rode south it's stunning weather was fairly good (I didn't get wet)and I stayed in b&B's used booking.com when late in the saddle through roads are stunning but there condition is dodgy to say the least watch out around the ring of kerry, shingle in the Crown of the road at times .
I believe heff is right you would be better off doing the waw in stages.I only did half in my 5 day's and missed bit's
I believe you could comfortably cover up to 200max on there roads .but you will miss so much I ave 150 it's nothing like the roads over here.
Roy
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Based on the OP i.e is the distance on the road conditions doable over 7 days, I would still say yes it is. Obviously you will not see everything along the way, but I think the question was asked if it could be covered in 7 days as a challenge.

Stand to be corrected though

Return to “Ireland”