thanks for that bit of info , it makes my plans a lot more flexible ,
regards rikki (heavy)
Simon_100

Re: Bulgaria Meet 25th August 2014

Post by Simon_100 »

I'm not at all sure I can make this Strimstrum - maybe next year :(

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
gsdman

Post by gsdman »

Anyone needing maps for this trip Reise waterproof maps here cheap as Ive seen them.

http://www.themapshop.co.uk/index.html

Just ordered the Romania and Bulgaria Know how to maps 1/400 000 £7.75 each plus P&P

Regards Tez
I feel lost, So I have Bought a KTM 990 ADV to go look for myself.
popmaddocks

Post by popmaddocks »

That's my ferry booked for the 18 of aug for me and the good lady sailing from hull to europort and returning the 5 sept. If we can get another week of work may return on the 12 sept ....fingers crossed (thumbs) .
Bonniebird

Post by Bonniebird »

gsdman wrote:Anyone needing maps for this trip Reise waterproof maps here cheap as Ive seen them.

http://www.themapshop.co.uk/index.html

Just ordered the Romania and Bulgaria Know how to maps 1/400 000 £7.75 each plus P&P

Regards Tez
+1 on the Reise Know How maps, been using them for a few years now, waterproof and tear proof even after continuous folding in different places and shoving in and out of my tank bag map sleeve (thumbs)
Also sold on Amazon as well as the map shop.
strimstrum

Post by strimstrum »

This little article in the Bulgarian news website was sort of on topic and may answer some questions. It was written by a foreign travel journalist (judging by the spelling - probably American)....

The first time I traveled through Bulgaria, I knew it wasn't enough. So I came back for round two.

I love these kind of countries- ones ultimately over-looked by most of the world as a country of interest. In countries like Bulgaria, i feel like it’s more of the “wild west”, more free, fewer rules and regulations, and fewer tourists.

From a traveler’s standpoint though, it seems like a great shame that more people flock to the neighboring Turkey and Greece, where it is much more developed and expensive, when they can potentially find something just as amazing in Bulgaria, Macedonia, Albania…. Heck, all over the Balkans! When you are here, it’s a whole different feel.

You sort of have a slight apprehension going there in the first place: it having a name synonymous with all kinds of wars. And you definitely feel like you’re on the “other side” of Europe, as everything is in Cyrillic and not revolving around you, the tourist. That said, I think this made it all the more better for me! It’s an awesome place, and I’m glad it is how it is. It probably wont be this way forever, so I think you should see it now. Until then, here are things I learned about Bulgaria!

1. Bulgaria brought the world the Cyrillic alphabet – which today is used in Russia and throughout the Balkans and other Slavic nations. It was invented by two monks during the First Bulgarian Empire

2. ancient Roman influence on Bulgaria is still evident in many of the cities,. You’ll find Roman baths in Varna, ruins in Sofia, and a mostly-in-tact Roman theater in Plovdiv

3. Bulgaria is apparently the birthplace of yoghurt, and the stuff is everywhere. Not only are there about 300 varieties in supermarkets, but there’s also yoghurt in many of Bulgaria’s signature dishes.

3. The roses grown in Bulgaria’s “Rose Valley” produce most (70-85%) of the world’s rose oil – a component in most perfumes.

4. On the first day of March each year, Bulgarians exchange red-and-white woven bracelets with each other. They wear these Martenitsi bracelets throughout the month, until they see a stork or a blooming tree. Then, the bracelets are tied to trees as a way of welcoming springtime. This is a holiday of sorts, called Baba Marta (“Grandmother March”), and celebrates the passing of winter.

5. Bulgaria has two major ranges – the Balkan Mountains and the Rhodope Mountains – and a few smaller ranges, including the Rila and Pirin mountains. Because of all these mountains, Bulgarian towns like Bansko have become very popular for winter sports. (and cheap!)

6. It has the world’s largest IMAX 3D cinema.

7. After the collapse of a Roman bridge in the 4th Century there was no crossing of the Danube between Romania and Bulgaria for 1,600 years.

8. Though small in area, Bulgaria ranks third in Europe in biodiversity, with a number of rare and endemic species. More than 700 brown bears, 1,000 wolves, golden jackal, wild cats, common otters, souslik and 37 species of reptiles can be found here

9. A must see when travelling to the country is The Rila Cross, which is one of the many unique things in Bulgaria. It’s a wooden cross with 140 microscopic scenes from the Bible featuring more than 1,500 figures; the largest of them is no bigger than a grain of rice.

10. A third of Bulgaria is forested. (hence the biodiversity)

11. For More Than 700 Years, Bulgaria Was Nearly Twice Its Current Size

12. Michael Palin upset Bulgarians by saying it is most famous for it’s gypsies

13. Mastika, a 47% proof spirit made with tree resin, is a popular drink. Average price of a lager is less than 50p a pint.

14. The country is one of the world’s biggest winemakers – 200,000 tonnes a year.

15. Bulgarians invented the first electronic computer, digital watch and car air bag.

16. Bulgaria’s most famous footballers are Hristo Stoichkov, now 45 – highest scorer at the 1994 World Cup – and Manchester United’s Dimitar Berbatov, 30. (until just recently that is !)

17. Bulgaria Has The 2nd Most Mineral Springs In Europe, just behind Iceland.

18. Plovdiv is Europe’s Oldest Inhabited City, even older than Athens.

19. Bulgarians shake their heads to say yes and nod to say no
optimisery

Post by optimisery »

Based on number 19, I will need to at least learn the words 'Yes' & 'No' or I could end up turning down a beer or Mastika and that wouldn't do!
Are we there yet?
strimstrum

Post by strimstrum »

Yes & No are

Da & Ne pronounced Dar & Nay

Thank you is blagodaria (but they also use Merci like in French)

Only problem is they write it like this благодаря
optimisery

Post by optimisery »

strimstrum wrote:Yes & No are

Da & Ne pronounced Dar & Nay

Thank you is blagodaria (but they also use Merci like in French)

Only problem is they write it like this благодаря
Thank you strimstrum.

I do know the word blagodaria very well, My ex brother in law used to rave about Bulgaria all the time (he would visit 3/4 times per year) and if you were ever in his company having a beer or 3 you would always be taught Bulgarian words... :laugh: Blagodaria was the only one that stuck with me!

He is one of the reasons I am very keen to visit the country, roll on August :woohoo:
Are we there yet?
Pompier

Post by Pompier »

Hi Strimstrum, thanks for that.
Looking forward to it, only been as far down as Montenegro to date.
Tunnel booked for the 10th Aug so have plenty of time to wend my way down and hopefully meet up for the last bit with you guys as would like to do the Transfagran in Romania.
Then SHMBO is flying down to Plodiv on 2nd Sept so we can spend some time down there and Albania before heading home via Monte and Croatia.
Thanks for making the effort to organise as having done it myself I know it can be a thankless task.

Return to “ABR Bulgaria Rally 25th August 2014”