Peaks Weekend - Easy Off Road - Sat 10 Nov

Lairyskippy

Re: Peaks Weekend - Easy Off Road - Sat 10 Nov

Post by Lairyskippy »

Chip wrote:New to green laning and would be good to get a gismo to record routes, so can revisit in the future. I'd be grateful for any advice on what's out there to record and display routes. Thanks... the technophobe :unsure:
Most of my mates use a Garmin of some kind or another. It records your trip log and you can convert that to a route and save it for later use. The good thing with Garmin is that they supply a mapping programme for use on a PC so you can plan routes in advance and download/upload to/from your satnav device.

Have a look at the ones we've got and you can see what you fancy.

........and yes, Weston Beach Race is a good way of visualising the chaos that is about to unfurl :laugh:
Lairyskippy

Post by Lairyskippy »

Wilso122 wrote:Oh yes its a tyre question :)

Got a half shagged Mefo stone master which might be dead after the ride up... so has anyone ridden these lanes with a Mefo Super Explorer at this time of year? Trying to decide to change before or bring with.... Just depend on how muddy its going to be.

Just not sure what will work out best....

Looking forward to this, first ride in the peaks B)
To be honest, you don't find too much mud but it can be pretty stony and when they are wet it ain't easy. One of our lot managed to throw his bike up a vertical stone wall on a perfectly flat trail but then again i have a feeling that his ambition outweighed his ability in this instance :laugh:

I've used the Mefo Explorer on dry trails on my XR650L and its pretty good but I've just taken them off the XR for the weekend and replaced them with a Mitas EF07 and EF08........I need all the help I can get!!

If you can get something more agressive and bring them with you that's what I'd do, but then again, I am super-cautious :P
Chip

Post by Chip »

Thanks for that and look forward to it :)
Lairyskippy wrote:
Chip wrote:New to green laning and would be good to get a gismo to record routes, so can revisit in the future. I'd be grateful for any advice on what's out there to record and display routes. Thanks... the technophobe :unsure:
Most of my mates use a Garmin of some kind or another. It records your trip log and you can convert that to a route and save it for later use. The good thing with Garmin is that they supply a mapping programme for use on a PC so you can plan routes in advance and download/upload to/from your satnav device.

Have a look at the ones we've got and you can see what you fancy.

........and yes, Weston Beach Race is a good way of visualising the chaos that is about to unfurl :laugh:
Lairyskippy

Post by Lairyskippy »

At last, we have a third Leader for our excursion into the unknown.....thanks Skygod. ;) The first post has been edited to reflect this.
Elle

Post by Elle »

Chip wrote:New to green laning and would be good to get a gismo to record routes, so can revisit in the future.
Chip - it may be worth asking your question in the main forum rather than this thread :)
But I can only recommended not to buy a MemoryMap GPS - I have an ADV3500 and it's had nothing but problems since new. The MemoryMap software isn't great and their customer service stinks.
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
Chip

Post by Chip »

Thanks Elle, at least I know what to avoid for starters :)
Elle wrote:
Chip wrote:New to green laning and would be good to get a gismo to record routes, so can revisit in the future.
Chip - it may be worth asking your question in the main forum rather than this thread :)
But I can only recommended not to buy a MemoryMap GPS - I have an ADV3500 and it's had nothing but problems since new. The MemoryMap software isn't great and their customer service stinks.
Wilso122

Post by Wilso122 »

Dont rush into anything mate, will have the montana with me and record the route to gpx file. There are so many options and opinions, some just use Iphones, presonally I like the garmin montana. There will be lots of opinions take a look at the setup people have there.

Ask questions in this part of the forum
http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... outes.html
950SuperEnduro.com the site for SuperEnduro owners.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Thanks Wilso122. You're right, will have a look at some of the set ups on the day and then decide. :)
Wilso122 wrote:
Dont rush into anything mate, will have the montana with me and record the route to gpx file. There are so many options and opinions, some just use Iphones, presonally I like the garmin montana. There will be lots of opinions take a look at the setup people have there.

Ask questions in this part of the forum
http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... outes.html
spanner16

Post by spanner16 »

Hi,

New to this forum. Can i join the Peaks weekend in group 2 please. Chip and I are good mates (he has already registered). I have a DRZ400 SK3. Have done some off road stuff before but not claiming to be an expert !

cheers
Lairyskippy

Post by Lairyskippy »

spanner16 wrote:Hi,

New to this forum. Can i join the Peaks weekend in group 2 please. Chip and I are good mates (he has already registered). I have a DRZ400 SK3. Have done some off road stuff before but not claiming to be an expert !

cheers
No problem mate, I'll add you to the list on the first post. The plan is that there will be three groups on the day and we'll just buddy up with whoever we want to to give approximately equal numbers in each group.

Return to “ABR Cream of the North Peak District Rally 9th to 11th November 2012”