Questions, Suggestions and Banter

5headh

Re: Questions, Suggestions and Banter

Post by 5headh »

I'm hoping to come along to this one, will be my second rally after the midland one in August, however I'm with Elle camping doesnt sound so enjoyable in October!!
AckAckFlack

Post by AckAckFlack »

Elle wrote:
GOG 007 wrote:Sharing with 8 blokes, burping, farting and having strange dreams might change your mind :laugh: well we are adventure bike riders after all, one for all, all for one :P
I once stayed in a bunkroom with 5 other women & one woman snored, farted & squeaked her teeth throughout the night. I got 3 hours sleep after being on my bike all day - she arrived by car!!
I have never known any man out-snore that woman.

But if they're converting a room into 2 beds, I'll take the lower bunk of one :-)

Ps Don't wish to tread on toes but I'm happy to enquire about the bunkhouse to obtain more info?

I very quickly learned that the very same ear plugs I used for riding, that cut out the wind noise , also cut
Out farting , belching, w@nking and sleep talking and got a good nights sleep
BBRR - Big Bike Rough Road Riders Group

It's all about how big it is and how Rough you use it :-)

The journey aimed to challenge the perception of blindness…

Usually People call me Sir... closely followed by 'You are making a scene!'
Elle

Post by Elle »

Hoping to get up to Whitby this Sunday. Plan to call in at the campsite to review the bunkhouse. Will report back on whether the changes they planned to do (make smaller rooms) has been completed :)
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
James691

Post by James691 »

Top Rider - Cheers Elle :)

Plenty of pictures if you can.
Dancing in the moonlight
Elle

Post by Elle »

Reporting back on my trip to Abbots House Farm & the bunkhouse........

The track leading to the campsite is easy to find - opposite the old garage down the side of Goathland Hotel.
The 0.5 mile muddy and pot-holed track leads directly to 3 fields, Abbots House (reception), the Bunkbarn and shower/toilet block.

I spoke to the owner and he showed us around the bunkbarn too.

The Rally field is large but has no facilities. There is only 1 small block of toilets in the next field (where most people camp). These toilets do not have hot water, showers or lights.
More toilets are located with the showers adjacent to the bunkbarn (at the bottom of the hill past the Abbots House).

The bunkhouse was relatively clean but basic. It has not been modified into smaller rooms as their web site suggests & he has no money to carry out the work.
So, the outlay is:
- A small lounge with old furniture and a woodburner.
- A kitchen with large fridge, gas burner, 2 sinks, some pots and pans but not crockery.
- A dining room with a large table and chairs
- Upstairs, there are 2 rooms: 1 has 2 bunks (4 beds), the other has 4 bunks (8 beds)
- The large bunkroom has 2 double wardrobes.
- There is central heating throughout.
- No bathroom exists in the bunkhouse although an interior door leads to the main showers / toilets.

The owner said the bunkhouse hadn't been rented all year. At £16pppn, I wouldn't stay there either - my tent is cleaner, doesn't smell and my bed is probably comfier. I've stayed in lots of hostels around the world and this is amongst the worse. Disappointing :sick:

photo's forthcoming.....
Elle

Post by Elle »

the bunkhouse looks nice & there is hard-standing outside
IMG_0591Small.JPG
IMG_0591Small.JPG (141.85 KiB) Viewed 7435 times
the lounge looked draughty although he said he would provide logs for the wood burner
IMG_0586Small.JPG
IMG_0586Small.JPG (30.24 KiB) Viewed 7435 times
the kitchen was adequate to make breakfast and drinks
IMG_0587Small.JPG
IMG_0587Small.JPG (33.08 KiB) Viewed 7435 times
too dark in the dining room to take a photo....
Elle

Post by Elle »

bedroom for 4
IMG_0590Small.JPG
IMG_0590Small.JPG (32.2 KiB) Viewed 7435 times
bedroom for 8
IMG_0589Small.JPG
IMG_0589Small.JPG (39.76 KiB) Viewed 7435 times
Elle

Post by Elle »

this is a map of the site taken from their web site:
Attachments
SITEMAP.pdf
(609.44 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
Elle

Post by Elle »

and finally.......

Having not been impressed with the bunkhouse or campsite, Mike and I decided to look for a B&B in Goathland. However, after contacting at least 10 guesthouses / hotels, we've given up that idea as they are all FULL. Apparently, some have been fully booked for that weekend for over a year and the reason, is this:

12-14th October, is the "The Railway in Wartime Weekend" - a WW2 War celebration active in several villages including Goathland. Be prepared for an increase in tourists, traffic and folk dressed up in WW2 costume. It will probably add to the fun of being in Goathland but it may also mean the whole area is swamped and the campsite could be fairly busy!
James691

Post by James691 »

Excellent :)

Lots to see and lots to do - shame about the bunkhouse but I'd rather camp when I can.

Website looks fantastic :woohoo: http://www.nymr.co.uk/wartime/

Get your camera warmed up as there should be plenty to see and the local pub should be great fun!! B)

Also on the website - Camping: £45 for 3 Nights Friday 13th – Sunday 14th October 2012

ABR camping = £4 pppn or £12 for 3 nights.

This looks to be a corker! Cheers Elle!!
Dancing in the moonlight

Return to “ABR Ecky Thump Rally Yorkshire Moors 11th – 14th October 2012”