UK to Mongolia and back
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: UK to Mongolia and back

UK to Mongolia and back 3 months, 1 week ago #579212

• BobH
  • NOW ONLINE
  • 800cc
Two of us are looking at a self planned trip from UK to Mongolia and back. We both have done a lot of adventure riding on roads and off road so next year in June we want to do a big trip. We are wondering if 45 days riding out Via Eastern Europe and through Kazakhstan to Mongolia, then a more scenic route via Stan's, Iran and Turkey would be enough time. We are considering using KTM 990's so we can do some off road sections but get through some of the already travelled road parts at a decent pace. Plan is to camp as much as possible. Any thought or advice most welcome.

Re: UK to Mongolia and back 3 months, 1 week ago #579214

I have no advice but would like to say 'you jammy bugger'

Plenty of threads on ADV rider for information/inspiration.
one-legged adventurer
The following user(s) said Thank You: BobH

Re: UK to Mongolia and back 3 months, 1 week ago #579216

Sounds a good plan. Have you considered getting your bikes shipped to save the boring routes through Europe. Would enable you get cracking in the more adventurous parts sooner. My bikes currently en route to Bulgaria courtesy of www.BulgariaBikeShipping.com

If I had the time to do a trip to Mongolia and the stans Id use Bulgaria as a staging point........
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tonibe63, nethen1

Re: UK to Mongolia and back 3 months, 1 week ago #579218

• BobH
  • NOW ONLINE
  • 800cc
beddowsm wrote:
Sounds a good plan. Have you considered getting your bikes shipped to save the boring routes through Europe. Would enable you get cracking in the more adventurous parts sooner. My bikes currently en route to Bulgaria courtesy of www.BulgariaBikeShipping.com

If I had the time to do a trip to Mongolia and the stans Id use Bulgaria as a staging point........

Thats a good point and a great idea to reduce the time going through Europe which we have already done many times. Will look into time and cost saving, thanks.

Re: UK to Mongolia and back 3 months, 1 week ago #579231

I can recommend the company. This is my second time using them. I only have a weeks holiday so theres no way I could make it to Bulgaria and back on a bike. Far easier to ship and fly out. Flights dirt cheap with Easyjet if booked in advance.

Re: UK to Mongolia and back 3 months, 1 week ago #579259

BobH wrote:
We are wondering if 45 days riding out Via Eastern Europe and through Kazakhstan to Mongolia, then a more scenic route via Stan's, Iran and Turkey would be enough time.
I have done this twice, first time I shipped out to Almaty and the second time I shipped out to Ulaanbaatar. Each was a 42 day tip. I think you would be pushed to get out and back in 45 days.

BobH wrote:
We are considering using KTM 990's so we can do some off road sections but get through some of the already travelled road parts at a decent pace.
I used a Drz400s and one of the guys I traveled with had a KTM 990 (he was 6ft 3 and strong)so I would say if you are comfortable in the sand on the 990 then go for it, but if you are not comfortable in sand then maybe a smaller bike might be in order.

BobH wrote:
Plan is to camp as much as possible. Any thought or advice most welcome.
Camping is good, but guest houses are very cheap and makes you interact with the locals.

if you go down the shipping route let me know because I want to ship a bike out next June in preparation for riding to Magadan.
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by Schoe000.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nethen1

Re: UK to Mongolia and back 3 months, 1 week ago #579268

• BobH
  • NOW ONLINE
  • 800cc
Schoe000, thanks for the reply. Have been thinking to extend the trip to 2 months, and may look at shipping. I do have a DR650SE set up for adventures but always wanted a 990. Have a couple of bikes (VFR1200F and RSV4R) to swap out as not using them so may just get a 990 and see how I get on with it. Have used the DR in the sand as lived in UAE for 7 years.

Noted on the camping consideration, we would use guest houses as well.

We will take a while deliberating but I will get back to you if we decide on shipping.

Re: UK to Mongolia and back 3 months, 1 week ago #579279

Just about to do a similar trip, but because of visa issues with the Ruskies ( can't get multiple entry first time) then I am just doing the Stan's and also intend to spend as much time off road as I can. But your trip 45 days? You are n't going to be spending much time off road.
I have ridden off and on road in Turkey and unless you keep to main roads then it will take a couple of weeks to cross taking in the good stuff. Also I have been at the Turkish boarder for a whole day, even with proper paper work, and you will have many boarders to cross.

Re: UK to Mongolia and back 3 months, 1 week ago #579281

beddowsm wrote:

I am starting from here (Bulgaria) doing a similar trip and I think 45 days will still be tight if any off road is to be par taken. But yes I agree Europe is a drag and a case of road tyres and ride as hard and as long as you can to get it over with.

Re: UK to Mongolia and back 3 months, 1 week ago #579289

• oldoak
  • 450cc
I have friends doing a similar trip this year from UK to Mongolia on middle weight 650s. They are taking more like 4-5 months for the trip. Fortunate that they can allow time for R+R, border delays and repairs, but I recon these things will be necessary. 45 days seems awful tight, just riding and not seeing is likely to the be the end result.

I was originally going to meet up with my mates in Mongolia, rent a local Chinese 150 and spend a month out there having a gander with them. Personal stuff then blew that up. Its about £800 for return flights to the capital of Mongolia and there are rental companies who charge about 12 Euros a day fo a little 150 with plenty of pannier space.

It isn't a fancy bike, but it will work better on any Mongolian road than a heavy large bike. also they are commonly used so everyone knows how to fix them and spares are available.

The advantages of a big bike are totally lost in Mongolia. Very few road, you need light,easy to ride through mud rivers and sand, easy to pick up and something where spares are available. You can buy a new Chinese Shinray made for the steppes for about £900 when I last looked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tonibe63, BobH
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds