Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Ferries to Sweden and Norway
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ferries to Sweden and Norway

Ferries to Sweden and Norway 6 months, 2 weeks ago #558129

Hi Guys, Me and the wife are planning on taking a trip up into Norway this summer on the 800GS. Does anybody know if there are any ferries that will enable me to get there without a 1000 km slog first.
I live in the Manchester area. I believe that the ferries from Newcastle to Bergen, and Harwich to Esbjerg are no longer in operation. Can anybody confirm the above or tell me the nearest ferry port to my destination.
Thanks in advance Neil

Re: Ferries to Sweden and Norway 6 months, 2 weeks ago #558130

Speak to SHarper he went last year and has done a RR on here about it, I believe he had a little fun with his ferries

cheers Spud
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself

Re: Ferries to Sweden and Norway 6 months, 2 weeks ago #558141

• qcnr
  • 800cc
No ferries across the North Sea. So you have to get to Denmark then either turn right
to Copenhagen and Sweden or carry on to the top of DK and catch a ferry to Norway.
There is a ferry between D and S I believe but I have no info on it. Where abouts in Norway
are you thinking of going? I live near Stavanger so if you need tips on where to go just
let me know.

Re: Ferries to Sweden and Norway 6 months, 2 weeks ago #558147

I've read somewhere that you can take a freight ferry across to Scandi from somewhere on the east coast, they informally allow bikers on if you ask nicely

Re: Ferries to Sweden and Norway 6 months, 2 weeks ago #558151

Believe this is it, nearly 2 day crossing,but saves having to drive through most of Northern Europe!

www.dfds.com/freight-shipping/routes-and...les/brevik-immingham

Re: Ferries to Sweden and Norway 6 months, 2 weeks ago #558154

• Peirre
  • 1200cc
The DFDS freight ferry out of Immingham has stopped taking non freight passengers.
So the obvious route from Manchester will be across the M62 to Hull for the ferry there, then the slog across holland, Germany, Denmark etc
Last Edit: 6 months, 2 weeks ago by Peirre.

Re: Ferries to Sweden and Norway 6 months, 2 weeks ago #558167

Newcastle - Bergen finished a good 10 years ago, Harwich - Esberg finished last April. The DFDS freight service from Felixstowe did take passengers but you would be bumped if a freight booking came in. Newcastle - Amsterdam, Harwick - Hook of Holland or Hull to either Rotterdam or Zeebrugge are your current options.

Re: Ferries to Sweden and Norway 6 months, 2 weeks ago #558187

From the North I'm afraid it's Rotterdam then a day's schlep up to the Danish border, still worth it though. DFDS Freight out of Immingham tended to bump non-freight paqssangers quite frequently (me included). Treat Hull-Rotterdam as a cruise and take your time doing the trek North, not as a high-speed blast and you'll enjoy it more. Norway is well worth it, Sweden not so.
Last Edit: 6 months, 2 weeks ago by PaulinBont.

Re: Ferries to Sweden and Norway 6 months, 2 weeks ago #558228

Cheers Redmurty, read the SHarper RR, and it sounds like one hell of a trip, carn't wait, thanks Neil

Re: Ferries to Sweden and Norway 6 months, 2 weeks ago #558230

Thanks qcnr for that, not sure were we are heading for, we normally just take a map and make it up as we go along, cheers Neil
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds