Adventure Bike Rider

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Transalp 650 (or 700), Tiger 955i (or 1050), BMW F800GS, or other mid size adventure bike?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Transalp 650 (or 700), Tiger 955i (or 1050), BMW F800GS, or other mid size adventure bike?

Re: Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 4 months, 3 weeks ago #556570

I have a Tiger 1050--in white--and with the "proper" frame, nicely powder coated, and normal SA (I see no point in going single sided like the Tiger sport --on a touring bike!). The 1050 evolution means that if the starter clutch goes south its NOT a complete engine strip! Generally fit and finish is very good with a real grunty engine--and if you look at the 800 and the 1200 then their engines are definitely higher in the frame. A friend of mine bought the 1200 and really couldn't get on with the weight and the top heavy nature. After he sold it I persuaded him to take mine for a spin--he's not one to praise anything but came back saying that it was so much better than the 1200 in all respects. A decent 1050 from 2007 and on can be had for less than 4k and there are quite a few out there. I have a low Remus silencer and Hyperpro suspension which improves the ride and handling(who wants an unnecessary high level exhaust--its just a fashion thing and puts a lot of weight in the wrong place on a touring bike)--mine is a keeper at the moment!
The following user(s) said Thank You: thebiggestjolly

Re: Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 4 months, 3 weeks ago #556571

Thanks everyone for all your replies, really interesting and super useful to hear your opinions and thoughts.

Ralph - definitely not taking a pillion, not till I've got a bit of experience under my belt, and by that time I hop to upgrade to a 1000cc+. Had a look at the V-Strom, heard mixed reports, some saying the build quality isn't as good as Honda? I've got a mate who's got the 650, I'll try and get a shot once I've passed! I do like the look of the big one, and it's a decent price for a 1000. Budget is definitely a constraint at the moment. With the cost of the training, test, insurance and bike, trying to get as good a bike as possible for a reasonable price, without cutting corners. Not going to risk buying a lemon off Gumtree to save a couple hundred you know! Hoping to get £1500-2000 for the Vara when I sell it, and then, maybe the same again on top, £3000-3500 ideally, but hopefully that'll be kitted out, luggage, centre stand, crash bars, scotoiler or similar(?).

Rikat - I've spoken to a few a few folk now who have had mulitple TAs, encouraging to hear there's a real love for them. I have no idea about all the mechanical stuff yet, but look forward to learning.

Ralph and Steve, never considered a sports tourer, haven't really tried any but I like the upright seating of the adventure bikes. But thanks for the input, I'll definitely check it out and try and get a ride. Anything that comes recommended (especially twice) is worth investigating.

Joey - thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to hear!

Tramp - good call, that's the plan. Already done some lurking on XRV, sat on a Versys, wasn't blown away, but there's a lot of them at a reasonable price so its a possibility.

Spike - that was my only concern about the Tiger, the service cost, and cost and availablity of parts/accessories. Although a prefer the alu box type luggage, the 955i panniers look ok, although I've also heard some complaints about leakage. Love the bike Triumphs, was always my end goal, but a few guys at work I know have them and they're super wide. Great for touring, less good for commuting through London. Maybe I should get two bikes....

Brett and Ted - I've looked at the 700, less keen on its looks (and it's price tag at the moment) but it was the first bike I considered before going back to the 650. If I can get one for the right price I'd be keen. And Brett, I am definitely a plodder!

Tink and Boatman - thanks for the pictures and the info, I'd love to talk more about the touring, especially camping. Never done it before (not even camped since I was a kid!) so any/all info appreciated!

Shidosan - don't plan on taking a pillion any time soon, but good to know. I think the TA is my prefered choice for now, but I'll have to go Triumph at some point, walking around a dealership and they're all such good looking bikes. Once my bank balance is healthier....

Ted - thanks for your input. If you were looking for a bike for commuting and touring, on a budget, what would you go for? The 700 TA? Or something completely different?

BigBlue - I do like the 800, but my wallet doesn't, not yet anyway! Maybe in a couple years.

Catcitrus - thanks, I dont know the 1050, I'll check it out. And for under £4k, quite a bit of bike for the money.

Thanks again to everyone posting, really appreciate all the feedback.

Happy New Year to you all!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tink

Re: Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 4 months, 3 weeks ago #556572

I know a lot of very experienced RTW riders...

50% of them are on Transalp 700's for their general 'do everything bike' I've never had one but everyone loves them. They're very easy to ride, got plenty of usable power and have every touring accessory available.

You really can't go wrong on one. Especially if you're starting out.

I really like the Tiger 800 too but it's double the price.

Don't get too worried about what you buy. It's not like you can't sell it after 6-12 months and try something different.

I've had about 60 bikes... The only way to know what you like is to own a few.

Good luck

Re: Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 4 months, 3 weeks ago #556577

*Touring Ted* wrote:
Don't get too worried about what you buy. It's not like you can't sell it after 6-12 months and try something different.

I've had about 60 bikes... The only way to know what you like is to own a few.

Very true, I'm quickly realising how often some people swap their bikes!
Last Edit: 4 months, 3 weeks ago by thebiggestjolly. Reason: Formatting

Re: Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 4 months, 3 weeks ago #556907

• david
  • 1200cc
I bumped into a Guy on a 700 in Mongolia, made me wish Id taken mine as I was on my CRF250. Boatman and Ted are bang on about the understated ability's of the 650 and 700.
Iv taken my 650 Alp from Nordkapp to Morocco on various trips. Its a great bike, easy to ride. Ideal 1st Bike toy

190.jpg

Its not perfect 2up, with luggage. But its not terrible either. I like the simple reliability of my Alp. Had mine from new in 2007, she's great.

Re: Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 4 months, 3 weeks ago #556913

david wrote:
I bumped into a Guy on a 700 in Mongolia, made me wish Id taken mine as I was on my CRF250. Boatman and Ted are bang on about the understated ability's of the 650 and 700.
Iv taken my 650 Alp from Nordkapp to Morocco on various trips. Its a great bike, easy to ride. Ideal 1st Bike toy

Its not perfect 2up, with luggage. But its not terrible either. I like the simple reliability of my Alp. Had mine from new in 2007, she's great.

Cheers David,

Great pic, makes me jealous and excited looking at everyone's pictures! I'm pretty set on the Transalp now I think, just have to decide whether or not to spend a bit more and get the 700 or see if I can get a late 650 in good nick.

Oh, and I'm not planning on taking a pillion for a while, probably not till i get a 1000cc or bigger, at 6'5 and 120kg+, I don't want to kill the poor bike!

Re: Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 4 months, 3 weeks ago #556922

• Tramp
  • 1200cc
The 650 is better on fuel once a pipercross filter is fitted and 16 front sprocket...the 700 abs is always on and down hill on slippy gravel is down right scary as the front can slip away...the 650 can be heavily moddified cheaply with othe honda xrv stuff...id have a 2005 alp anyday over a 700...but check swingarm for rust and wheels too..the rot from inside a low mileage bike will be hiding problems...a higher milage bike will have had the bits replaced.

The waterpump seal can go and aint cheap the headlight is crazy price...parts are always on ebay..

Happy hunting...the suspension is basic and will need changes...

Re: Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 4 months, 3 weeks ago #556977

• boatman
  • 1200cc
Tramp wrote:
The 650 is better on fuel once a pipercross filter is fitted and 16 front sprocket...the 700 abs is always on and down hill on slippy gravel is down right scary as the front can slip away...the 650 can be heavily moddified cheaply with othe honda xrv stuff...id have a 2005 alp anyday over a 700...but check swingarm for rust and wheels too..the rot from inside a low mileage bike will be hiding problems...a higher milage bike will have had the bits replaced.

The waterpump seal can go and aint cheap the headlight is crazy price...parts are always on ebay..

Happy hunting...the suspension is basic and will need changes...

You are right the suspension is basic , I used all of mine in standard form ,if you just accept that " it is what it is " and work with it ,,, its still surprisingly capable

Re: Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 4 months, 3 weeks ago #556983

• IainD
  • 1200cc
There are plenty mods on tinternet on how to turn the ABS off on a 700 Trannie by inserting a switch into the loom, so don't let that worry you.

I have had a Trannie 700 for a few years, one of the last, and it is a great bike to relax and just ride. Input and attention still required, but no stressing over weight or handling.

The bike sold really well in Europe and probably only snobbery and perhaps the looks have stopped sales here being higher.

I have a couple of 46l Givi Trekker panniers and one up still handles great.

My only knowledge of the 955 Triumph engine was on a 955i Daytona, which was a great, if uncomfortable, sports bike.

Try and ride a few of each and see what you think yourself.

Re: Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 4 months, 3 weeks ago #556984

• -Ralph-
  • 1200cc
catcitrus wrote:
I have a Tiger 1050--in white--and with the "proper" frame, nicely powder coated, and normal SA (I see no point in going single sided like the Tiger sport --on a touring bike!).

The SSSA setup is a longer wheelbase, which means a bit less supermoto style agility, but a significant improvement in mid corner stability, which is great for a touring bike.

They could have achieved the same effect with a longer DSSA, but I guess that was down to looks.

Headlights are significantly better, more power, better suspension.

Given the choice between the two I know which one I'd have.... I already do
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds