Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

CRF250 L thread
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: CRF250 L thread

Re: CRF250 L thread 5 months ago #556215

Friend of mine altered
Shock by drilling additional hole in shock bracket worked well with no issues , done plenty of trails etc ,
The following user(s) said Thank You: garyboy

Re: CRF250 L thread 5 months ago #556218

• garyboy
  • 1200cc
Was it 3/4 inch c/c (centres) ?

Re: CRF250 L thread 5 months ago #556236

It's bokitojos on here I'll try and get an answer for you although I think it's a common mod and certainly did job

Re: CRF250 L thread 5 months ago #556245

garyboy wrote:
thanks for replying, drumbrakes ...

did it work out ok?
any bottoming out issues?
handling ok?

... and how much did the seat lower?
and how much did you lower the forks?

Gary.

ps ... could this drilling be done with the shock insitu?

Bottoming out:
We lowered the bike about 3"/7.5cm at the rear.
As I understand it, based on the Honda quoted rear travel, the wheel "should not" hit the fender at full travel. I could be wrong. It's not something we worried about much.
The rider of the CRF250L is my wife, who is very light. Honda spring this bike to copewith all riders, including some of the beefier riders of North America. (I'm not saying it's ideal for all riders, just that it copes)
She weighs less than 50kg, so bottoming out on the stock spring, even with another 10kg of luggage would be virtually impossible. She also has a very non-agressive riding style, so no "big hit" reserve required.
Long term, we're looking at fitting a different shock with a softer spring and the right length so she can get full use of the available travel.
We lowered the fork about 1" / 2.5cm. That's as much as you can go due to the tapering of the fork stanchions.
This does tip the bike back a bit. Handling is probably a bit more "relaxed" but it still rides well.
You do need to adjust the headlamp angle! Even if you don't plan to ride at night, do adjust it, you never know when you may find yourself doing a 100 mile dash late at night along windy roads trying to find an open hotel. The ability to summon Batman is less useful than simply lighting the road in front of you. (he never turned up anyway, How far is it from Gotham to Nevada?)

Overall seat height? Probably 2" / 5cm lower than standard.

I would not recommend trying to drill it in situ.
(in fact, I don't recommend this method of lowering the bike at all. Make your own choice, based on your own judgement and knowledge of your own abilities)
You need to drill a hole in each side, n the right position, and they need to be as straight and perfectly aligned as possible.
You should remove the shock (not that hard really) clamp it down measure very carefully and drill pilot holes for both sides in one go with a pillar drill. you should then relieve the edges slightly with a de-burring tool.

If you do it on the bike with a hand held drill, it's going to be much harder to measure and punch the right centre spot. get that wrong, and you may find the lower part of the shock fouls on the link piece.
You'll also find the holes probably won't be straight. If you get that wrong, the lower shock bolt won't go back in, or you'll be twisting the lower shock mount, which is bad.

Frankly, if the idea of removing to upper shock mount bolt worries you enough to consider drilling the shock on the bike, this method is probably not something you should try. It won't save any time in the long run.

Re: CRF250 L thread 5 months ago #556254

hello all .. reading about the seat height and the smaller folk like drumbrakes missus ..if your doing the suspension id consider a shock with adjustable rideheight ..i know drumbrakes did the tat with his good lady on a ccm and a crf250l great stuff
anyway the point is when i redid the front and rear suspension on me crf the seat height shot up ..so much id acttually say the crf is marginally taller than a full height ccm ..but that may be because the seat in wider at the front ...

im the other way its actually better for me ..im sure it will have been thought about but just letting you know that it goes up substantially ..id think if you dropped the forks and redid the shock in the same way you may be able to get it to original seat height ..id say the seat height would be around 2.5inches more than standard ..im 6ft 1 and can just only just flat foot it

this may be a good option for getting ride height

www.amazon.co.uk/Soupys-Performance-CRF2...stable/dp/B00INCJ53K

you can see that the crf is now just as tall as the ccm but is set up for a 100kgm guy ..the other clue is the side stand ,,i need to get around to extending it
you do get also a very useful increase in ground clearance and with the stronger front springs and extra clearance its much better on downhill rocks and stuff like that

brappy new year

http://
DSC_0145 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Last Edit: 5 months ago by minkyhead.

Re: CRF250 L thread 5 months ago #556267

• crofty
  • 1200cc
If you are thinking about the Soupy link do a google search, as a few have snapped.
I used a XR250 in Morocco from a hire company which had lots of XRs and they were all drilled like the advrider mod, they get hammered off road and they seem to hold up.
I considered it but thought it would affect resale value so I bought a Kouba link instead.

Re: CRF250 L thread 5 months ago #556287

• nethen1
  • 1200cc
  • ne then ist allreet

not sure if this has been posted before... they push well
Are we stoppin for a brew !

www.youtube.com/channel/UCHnqi2JsFoNCV6ktRGEOVXQ/videos

Braaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppp
The following user(s) said Thank You: minkyhead

Re: CRF250 L thread 5 months ago #556308

• garyboy
  • 1200cc
quote drumbrakes
///Bottoming out:
We lowered the bike about 3"/7.5cm at the rear.
As I understand it, based on the Honda quoted rear travel, the wheel "should not" hit the fender at full travel.

She weighs less than 50kg, so bottoming out on the stock spring, even with another 10kg of luggage would be virtually impossible.

Long term, we're looking at fitting a different shock with a softer spring and the right length so she can get full use of the available travel.

We lowered the fork about 1" / 2.5cm. That's as much as you can go due to the tapering of the fork stanchions.
This does tip the bike back a bit. Handling is probably a bit more "relaxed" but it still rides well.
You do need to adjust the headlamp angle! Even if you don't plan to ride at night, do adjust it, you never know

Overall seat height? Probably 2" / 5cm lower than standard.

I would not recommend trying to drill it in situ.///

great relies and info ... thanks all

I will probably have a go at drilling the holes in the next month or so (no garage)
probably 3/4 inch C/C ? and will take the shock out, as recommended .
good point about the headlight alignment.
I noticed the fork travel would be limited by their tapered shape

I will not use it on trails till I lower it .. far too high for my 'ickle legs.
I swear the rear shock is pumping itself up and getting taller .. I was lucky the bike didn't fall on me last time I failed to mount her
Last Edit: 5 months ago by garyboy.

Re: CRF250 L thread 5 months ago #556318

• garyboy
  • 1200cc
links to links

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moose-Racing-Lowering...10040&rmvSB=true

`moose` one seems to be the cheapest?
kouba looks good but £200 with postage??
`soupy` one looks dangerous as it is offset and snaps?

Re: CRF250 L thread 4 months, 3 weeks ago #556915

• garyboy
  • 1200cc
* took the shock off quite easily .. (its much heavier than it looks).
* seat did not need to come off .. just the LHS side panel.
* did not jack up bike .. just supported a bit on RHS, and the side stand on LHS.
* 3 bolts .. 14mm spanner/wrench rhs and 17mm on lhs.
* used a slightly narrower drill bit as drilling by hand and it gets a bit bigger.
* filed and reamed the hole to 10mm?

3/4 inch c/c .. 10mm hole.

will see if I can get away with not jacking the bike up tomorrow when replacing.
Last Edit: 4 months, 3 weeks ago by garyboy.
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds