Adventure Bike Rider

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

How much bhp do you really need?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: How much bhp do you really need?

How much bhp do you really need? 3 months, 2 weeks ago #557381

Just been out to check the animals on my c50... And got me wondering actually how much hp do you need to ride at say 60mph....

You need to overcome initail start and weight then wind resistance...and darg depending on terrain your riding...

A 125cc bike seems on paper to be pretty perfect and the rest is a waste or rider ego...
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tink, Godspeed

Re: How much bhp do you really need? 3 months, 2 weeks ago #557382

• daryl
  • 450cc
I did ~2100km around the southern half of Vietnam in December on a local 110cc Honda clone and didn't find myself wanting for more at any point so I'm going to say you need 10hp or less.

On the other hand I am enjoying the extra power of the 690 now I'm home (must be the ego).

Re: How much bhp do you really need? 3 months, 2 weeks ago #557387

• DavidS
  • 800cc
I did 800 miles in India on a 20bhp Enfield and that is definitely insufficient.

As with Daryl - the 66bhp(ish) of my 690 gives a great combination for proper road riding but not too much for trails if you are gentle with the throttle (I haven't bothered with my mode settings yet so have it left on normal).

My 400EXC was about 40bhp, I think, and that was an ideal compromise although 60 on the road was sufficient but that was probably more down to the gearing. My 60bhp-ish WR450 was awful on the road as it only had 5 speeds but neither the Yam or KTM were really for road use beyond riding between lanes.

I had always wanted a 690 and now have it as my dual use bike and so far it seems the perfect compromise and I can still have road fun rather than just getting by. It frightens the life out of me seeing the poor kids on scooters failing to keep up with the traffic flow over here so I feel you should always have slightly more than you need.

In a roundabout way then, I've gone for 40 to 70bhp for proper usable power that you could really live with year in year out in any environment, unless you had all the time in the world to get about.

Re: How much bhp do you really need? 3 months, 2 weeks ago #557390

• ollydog
  • 1200cc
246 bhp wr harley vrod, when drag racing never enough with good throttle management,
my gs lc with 125bhp, just a but more in the mid range would be nice and i find the stock supersport 600 are enough on the roads these days with around 115 bhp rather than a full blown litre superbike.

steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: nortyrascal

Re: How much bhp do you really need? 3 months, 2 weeks ago #557394

It's torque you're feeling when riding not bhp.My 3 cylinder bike has plenty of mid range torque which I find perfect for road riding.I enjoy it and it's got nothing to do with ego.For me I want to have some fun while I'm riding,it's not just about getting from A to B.I've ridden bikes with less torque but I think I'm maybe just a lazy rider who doesn't like having to drop gears to stay in the power.
Last Edit: 3 months, 2 weeks ago by sprintster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DavidS

Re: How much bhp do you really need? 3 months, 2 weeks ago #557395

I agree that a lot of bikes in the one lite are over the top in usable performance.
At 105bhp my Street Triple is perfect.
If I was banished to ride a 20hp bike for the rest of my life I would probably top myself.

norty
The following user(s) said Thank You: ollydog

Re: How much bhp do you really need? 3 months, 2 weeks ago #557396

• zimtim
  • 1200cc
10928823_889397711102029_12907-5505ade901291.jpg
The following user(s) said Thank You: steve_h80

Re: How much bhp do you really need? 3 months, 2 weeks ago #557405

• Tramp
  • 1200cc
Look at it from a different angle....max torque etc is.produced around 6000rpm and who rides at that rpm all the time?...so you aint using all that 70bhp...a 125cc is ridden flat out nearly all time so using maybe 10bhp...

Ford etc all.have 1000cc eco cars ....its all down to biker ego .....

Re: How much bhp do you really need? 3 months, 2 weeks ago #557406

• DavidS
  • 800cc
There are still plenty of times when you do need the power.
At 10bhp, you're mostly stuck with the traffic flow so, as nortyrascal says, I'd probably wouldn't have a bike anymore.

I need to balance road riding and trail riding so i still want a bike that can overtake safely, quickly and easily - the south east isn't exactly traffic free sadly so you need enough oomph to make progress.

To be honest, the 98bhp of my old KTM 950SM was too much for the local roads I now ride on and that certainly never got explored into the upper reaches of its rev range.

There are really multiple answers as it wholly depends on the riding you do.
Trekking round Europe is different from trotting round local byways with the odd long day or few out every now and then.

Re: How much bhp do you really need? 3 months, 2 weeks ago #557407

Tramp wrote:
Look at it from a different angle....max torque etc is.produced around 6000rpm and who rides at that rpm all the time?...so you aint using all that 70bhp...a 125cc is ridden flat out nearly all time so using maybe 10bhp...

Ford etc all.have 1000cc eco cars ....its all down to biker ego .....

So two reasons for more than 125cc:

1) the less stressed 400(for example) should last longer than the more stressed 125cc.

2) bigger engine = more torgue at lower revs(generally).

A post above hit the nail on the head - it's torque we like
The following user(s) said Thank You: sprintster, nortyrascal, DavidS
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds