Username Password: Remember me

Pegasus Bridge 1944.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Pegasus Bridge 1944.

Re: Pegasus Bridge 1944. 2 months, 2 weeks ago #558845

• big al
  • 1200cc
Hi Mike,
I vaguely remember talking to someone on a bike who had lost his cards.
We had only just finished our food in the restaurant across the road opposite the hotel Gondre.amd our bikes were parked in the car park, with Abr stickers on them.
Coincidence or what.
Al

Re: Pegasus Bridge 1944. 2 months, 2 weeks ago #558898

I have visited Pegasus bridge and there is a small caliber cannon mounted in a pit on the far side of the river. Apparently the British troops took control of it and turned it on what they thought were the Germans but it was a Hospital and they were quickly reprimanded. My Grandad Hector French was at Pegasus bridge and was a combat engineer attached to the airborne brigade. If you look in the cafe Gondree there are many photos on the wall of the soldiers that were there. I looked for my grandad but some of the faces were very hard to make out.
Last Edit: 2 months, 2 weeks ago by frenchy3.

Re: Pegasus Bridge 1944. 2 months, 2 weeks ago #558902

• SteveR
  • NOW ONLINE
  • 1200cc
I have been there several times now, but in many ways the best time ever for me was when I had Charlie my son as pillion on the Transalp when we were on our way to stop in a mates farmhouse near Bayeaux. He was about 14 then I guess, but had seen The Longest Day numerous times as well as being pretty well read and au fait with the initial Normandy campaigns.

We came in from Ouistreheim and I deliberately did not tell him the route we were following and as we came off the roundabout and then down to the bridge he practically fell of the back he was so bloody excited!! I pulled into the car park so he could have a proper mosey around the museum which we came back and visited later in the trip. A great moment...

We have toured quite a bit of the Normandy landings areas as well as the inland battle sites and some of the towns less well known. We have been promisingn ourselves a trip to teh Ardennes for 2 years now and would have gone on the bikes last year, but he went off with his Unit playing sailors in N Germany... not a huge success other than confirmation in his own mind that 2 feet are better than ANY boat!!
Last Edit: 2 months, 2 weeks ago by SteveR.

Re: Pegasus Bridge 1944. 2 months, 2 weeks ago #558921

• Mike101
  • 1200cc
  • And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eye
big al wrote:
Hi Mike,
I vaguely remember talking to someone on a bike who had lost his cards.
We had only just finished our food in the restaurant across the road opposite the hotel Gondre.amd our bikes were parked in the car park, with Abr stickers on them.
Coincidence or what.
Al

Sounds like that was me Al..i was on a black Tenere and on my own.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts

Re: Pegasus Bridge 1944. 2 months, 2 weeks ago #559002

• big al
  • 1200cc
Hi Mike, cant remember the bike , but the bloke (you) bout 5ft8 tall jacket open, smoking fag, helmet on bike.
Could that have been you Mike.

Re: Pegasus Bridge 1944. 2 months, 2 weeks ago #559069

• Mike101
  • 1200cc
big al wrote:
Hi Mike, cant remember the bike , but the bloke (you) bout 5ft8 tall jacket open, smoking fag, helmet on bike.
Could that have been you Mike.

No not me..never smoked...and i'm 6ft tall.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts

Re: Pegasus Bridge 1944. 2 months, 2 weeks ago #559091

• ollydog
  • 1200cc
Agent Orange wrote:
It's a copy Al. The original bridge is a couple of hundred meters over the copy on the left. Nice cafe though if not to full of kin tourists

Oi i was one of them tourist with me old man just before he died taking him down memory lane

stevw

Re: Pegasus Bridge 1944. 2 months, 2 weeks ago #559092

• ollydog
  • 1200cc
one of the things that upset me dad the most was not the actual memories of the event but going up to the cemetery and see all the thieves steal from cars posters
those lads went through shite and the local scum wont respect that

steve
Last Edit: 2 months, 2 weeks ago by ollydog. Reason: typo

Re: Pegasus Bridge 1944. 2 months, 2 weeks ago #559097

• big al
  • 1200cc
It couldn't have been you then Mike, you must have got a twin.
Al

Re: Pegasus Bridge 1944. 2 months, 2 weeks ago #559109

• Mike101
  • 1200cc
big al wrote:
It couldn't have been you then Mike, you must have got a twin.
Al

Thankfully there is only one of me in the world!

Mike
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds