Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Flat battery won't charge.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Flat battery won't charge.

Flat battery won't charge. 1 week, 4 days ago #558655

One of my mates has just been messaging me saying the battery he fitted in September is flat and won't charge.I don't know when he last used the bike but it has an alarm fitted.I remember reading on here just the other week that if a battery is too flat it either needs a trickle charge or a boost from a car charger but I can't remember which on it is.Anyone know?

Re: Flat battery won't charge. 1 week, 4 days ago #558657

• big al
  • 1200cc
Hi sprintster, put it on a car charger to give it a good boost, then when fully charged pop it on the optimate or similar.
Al

Re: Flat battery won't charge. 1 week, 4 days ago #558660

Cheers,Al.

Re: Flat battery won't charge. 1 week, 4 days ago #558672

Sorry to be a misery , but if it's been run right down to absolutely nothing , and then left , it will never properly recover again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodyorkabr

Re: Flat battery won't charge. 1 week, 4 days ago #558697

• Jak*
  • 800cc
If it is a lead acid one, try Bat Aid available from good car spare shops. If it is a bike battery with small holes put the tablets in a good plastic bag and whack them with a hammer to crush them. I have used Bat Aid to revive several batteries in the past and it usually works great.
Cheers Jak
The following user(s) said Thank You: sprintster

Re: Flat battery won't charge. 1 week, 3 days ago #558744

• Dabchick
  • 125cc
  • Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy
Can't comment on the Bat Aid, but I suffered this recently with a car battery suffering a parasitic leak overnight, basically the battery was so dead in the morning that there was nothing coming back to the charger (resistance, voltage, whatever) to indicate to the charger it was actually attached to anything, might as well have hooked up a house brick.

The answer was to connect the battery to the wife's car battery (car didn't need to be running) with jump leads so the charger detected something was connected, then once you've got a minimal charge disconnect the good battery and the charger should continue charging the nearly-dead battery. The battery may have suffered a reduced capacity afterwards having been completely flat, but it wasn't noticeable if it did
The following user(s) said Thank You: sprintster
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds