Username Password: Remember me

Tenere rectifier plug help
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tenere rectifier plug help

Tenere rectifier plug help 1 week, 5 days ago #558553

• crofty
  • 1200cc
Getting my xt660z ready for a trip in May, have been following WIBO's prep guide and want to look at the rectifier plug and make sure there is no corrosion etc. The plug is tight and before I do some damage I want to ask exactly how to disconnect it. it is flush on 3 sides but the one facing the engine has a moulding that looks like it may be a type of snap connector. I have tried pushing the centre piece in and also gently levering it out but it doesn,t want to move.
IMG_20170109_143248525.jpg

Re: Tenere rectifier plug help 1 week, 5 days ago #558582

It's difficult to explain easier to do almost but, go towards the edge of the moulding by the black and red wires and there are two vertical ribs, if you go down from there there is a bridge piece. If you press the bridge piece IN at the top then the botton of it should move OUT, like a see saw, that is where the retaining clip is, the lower bridge has to come over it.
Even with the lower bridge piece retracted these type of connectors are very reluctant to part, they are designed to keep water out , so have a rubber seal , so to some extent are also air tight and stuck pretty tight. I would recommend very gentle levering upwards with a very small electrical screwdriver or a pick tool ( very handy 4 for about a fiver). The part of the connector you are looking at is the outside of the coupling, I'm pretty sure , but you will be alright levering beneath where the lower bridge /clip is. Sometimes the lower bridge piece needs a litle helping hand ( pick tool again) to get it to move far enough out to come over the little pip that will release the coupling.
IMG_0013.jpg
I'm never going to win any prizes as an artist , but thats what you are basically looking at , turned through 90^. Very similar to the connector used on older VW and Audi alternator connectors etc etc
Last Edit: 1 week, 5 days ago by steve the grease.

Re: Tenere rectifier plug help 1 week, 5 days ago #558593

• crofty
  • 1200cc
Steve thanks for taking the time to do the drawing and provide an explanation. I thought it would be something like that. I will spray the whole connector with a lubricant and leave it overnight and try tomorrow.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds