Username Password: Remember me

BMW F800GS Bent subframe
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: BMW F800GS Bent subframe

BMW F800GS Bent subframe 1 month, 2 weeks ago #557743

• Cone
  • 800cc
As I really enjoyed the Devon meet and had a ball in the of road outing it seems i did a bit of serious damage.

I will put up a photo tomorrow but basically I have compression damage to the nearside pillion footrest. I guess this was done when I was bouncing down a deep rut.

So the compression force has bent the two steel tubes upwards and the inside main frame has a small twist in it that can be seen. It is putting pressure on the fuel tank.

A local accident repair have volunteered to try to straighten it with heat treatment but can't give guarantees of it being 100% afterwards.

There is a second hand one on fleebay from a 2012 model - will it fit a 2015? This will be i pressume 200 quid posted which will be 150 quid ish more than the shop think itll take to straighten.

Once straightened will it still retain its integrity? there is paint flaked of the weld to the subframe so stress has been induced on the joint as well as the tube.

Re: BMW F800GS Bent subframe 1 month, 2 weeks ago #557745

There is no reason why a heated and straightened subframe would lose it,s structural integrity but remember you would also have to budget for primer and paint to respray the repaired item. Unless you have an adventure model F800gs as opposed the standard model i don,t see that there has been any changes with the frame since 2008.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Millenium_Transalp

Re: BMW F800GS Bent subframe 1 month, 2 weeks ago #557748

• Dansin
  • 125cc
According to real oem the rear subframe is the same.

www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?id=0B02-EU...49&q=46518531590

Re: BMW F800GS Bent subframe 1 month, 2 weeks ago #557749

• Cone
  • 800cc
No it is not the adventure model - although i like to think it does more adventuring than most!!

Re: BMW F800GS Bent subframe 1 month, 2 weeks ago #557751

• Nigel
  • 1200cc
Looking on the bright side at least you can replace the subframe as it`s bolted on, some aren`t
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than any city on earth. Steve McQueen

Some days even the baboon misses the branch

Don`t wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the bloody thing. Barry Sheene

Re: BMW F800GS Bent subframe 1 month, 2 weeks ago #558895

• Cone
  • 800cc
So here is a interesting photo showing the bend upwards and outwards.

And after a hard evenings work - I mean hard

Ready to put the subframe back on and go on the trailer to the shop to give bending the old one into shape....

Re: BMW F800GS Bent subframe 1 month, 2 weeks ago #558931

Good luck with bending the old one back into shape. As it has been said before, at least you can remove the subframe to fix!

Let us know how it goes.

@VR_Rhodes

Re: BMW F800GS Bent subframe 1 month, 2 weeks ago #558988

• Cone
  • 800cc
So drop the bike off all stripped down to the accident repair centre today, had a good look with it all stripped down the footrest is maybe 2-3 inches bent backwards, 2-3 inches bent upwards and a 1.5 inches outwards. Some serious impact there.

Think I learnt one of the bigger bikes offroad limitations now - I will buy a replacement frame as well for future and if they cant make a very good job of the repair.

Re: BMW F800GS Bent subframe 1 month, 2 weeks ago #558996

• Tramp
  • 1200cc
I know exactly where your coming from ref big bike trail offs...my old.ta650 had 2 replacement fairings and 2 headlights and a new headlight dash subframe...the rest was rock solid though..

Fun but expensive so i got a more crashable bike...the ktm950 et all survive better..

Re: BMW F800GS Bent subframe 1 month, 1 week ago #559724

Sub frame just appeared on eBay if you don't manage to sort it

Look at this on eBay  www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122312258308
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.59 seconds