Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

the corrieyairack pass
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: the corrieyairack pass

the corrieyairack pass 5 years ago #97751

• moto al
  • Banned
good evening chaps, any one fancy doing the correyairack pass,one of genaral,s wades roads built in 1731 ;from fort augstus,to lagin 26 miles now avery rough track a good w/end rough camping at it.s best? any takers .cheers .al
moto al

Re: the corrieyairack pass 5 years ago #97752

• Mike54
  • 1200cc
Is it open / legal ?

Also 2 years ago it was not physically possible to get from one side to the other.
Last Edit: 5 years ago by Mike54.
The following user(s) said Thank You: moto al

Re: the corrieyairack pass 5 years ago #97757

Thinking the same thing , we were up there 2 years ago and big gate across road..

Re: the corrieyairack pass 5 years ago #97760

• Mike54
  • 1200cc
The CP is an odd one. The highways agency says its not restricted, the gate says closed. Speculation is that the landowner put that gate in (ilegally) but no one really seems to know.

I am very much for using lanes and tracks in a legal way, but the right of access "from A-B" in Scotland suggests you can use this track. If I was up there I would investiate, but as my other post, it was not actually possible to get over due to the state of the track (that was before the gate was there and locked) and we had to turn around

Re: the corrieyairack pass 5 years ago #97762

• moto al
  • Banned
cheers lads, not shure its some years ago since i used the pass i know some 4x4 ar^^^oles were,probs /al
moto al

Re: the corrieyairack pass 5 years ago #97763

• Mike54
  • 1200cc
Problems were caused by 4x4's and bikes, not just by one group. There was a fairly serious altercation which involved bikes and the landowner, and NOT 4x4's for example.

Re: the corrieyairack pass 5 years ago #97765

• moto al
  • Banned
Mike54 wrote:
Problems were caused by 4x4's and bikes, not just by one group. There was a fairly serious altercation which involved bikes and the landowner, and NOT 4x4's for example.
cheers bud what happened? .al
moto al

Re: the corrieyairack pass 5 years ago #97940

• Steve T
  • 1200cc
  • Being vertical is over-rated ;-)
I would suggest you reccy both ends of the route before trying to ride it. Big wash out at southern end, just beyond the gate that's shown in LWR's picture, but it is "do-able" with a little help from your friends. Last time I got beyond that point the track was heavy going on a large traily, but again it was "do-able".
BUT . . . the northern end is washed out big style after floods 4 years ago. Vertical 5' drop where a drain used to be approx 1 mile from the road end. Plus the a-hole landowner has put up agate that end as well.

Enjoy the walk

Steve T

PS - I'm the Red Topped Troll heading for the gate in LWRs picture
ZEN DOG
He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
Last Edit: 5 years ago by Steve T.

Re: the corrieyairack pass 5 years ago #98083

I cycled both ways between Laggan and Ft Augustus over a weekend a couple of years ago. The approach to the hairpins and the hairpins themselves had suffered extreme washed out and there was a locked gate on the Ft Augustus side.

Mike

Re: the corrieyairack pass 5 years ago #98091

I'm the other troll in LWR's pic! I was casing out the ford!

I've crossed it three times, twice in a 4x4 and once by bike (@T to be precise!)

I was present at a major altercation between the land owner at the Fort Augustus end, police were involved but this was not a criminal issue but civil, police were there to keep the peace.

The Highland 4x4 club kept the drovers road drivable when the council stopped upkeep of it. It was repaired around July when most of us had holidays. This kept it drivable for a few yrs but the gates and chains put an end to it. By the way, the washout at the Fort end was due to the land owner bursting the cast pipe from the dam, the ensuing damage was then blamed on 4x4's.

Always great to see how people on bike forums are quick enough to condemn 4x4 owners for damage and access being restricted to lanes, then in the next breath, "why can't I ride my bike up it?" It's vehicular access at the end of the day, amazing how the divide and conquer logic works so well when it comes to the ramblers getting lanes closed to vehicles.

To the best of my knowledge the pass is not drivable and breaching gates, signs and chains will only lead to prosecution.
Honda, the power of dreams.
The following user(s) said Thank You: moto al, Mike54
Time to create page: 0.68 seconds