Adventure Bike Rider

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

E.D.C Morocco 2017 On/Off road free guided open invite.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: E.D.C Morocco 2017 On/Off road free guided open invite.

E.D.C Morocco 2017 On/Off road free guided open invite. 1 month ago #553822

• WIBO
  • 1200cc
I'm heading back again on my annual ride out to Morocco 'provisionally' from 0700hrs 20.10.17 until 03.11.17 or there after.

These dates facilitate friends but my friends are open to making a rendezvous if we leave earlier. I can overshoot the return dates which means a more sedate return through Maroc and Europe.

(I'm retired and I can be flexible with dates)

Rough general routes to give a taste of as much of the variation Maroc has to offer,to be decided at a later date.

EDC?

Short for 'Équipe des Chèvres'..... (Team of Goats) Not because we ride daring high trails on cliff faces where only goats dare to tread.......but because of the way we behave....yes,we really are that stupid,following each other blindly.

If anyone is interested in joining me they're more than welcome.

If anyone is interested in arriving at my house in southern France to stay just before the dates they're welcome. Look for a village called Asson with a postcode of 64800.

I've been to Maroc frequently and know how it and the locals work... I speak French and can assist with any problems that might arise eg customs.

We will be riding easy trails and might be throwing in some wild camping here and there on spec. I'll explain below in a lengthy manner.....

Normally we check into accommodation as it's so cheap to include an evening meal as well as breakfast. If you read through my last ride report (link at the bottom of the page) it will show up typical prices.

On one of my trips I went with camping kit and didn't use it,because,as I say the accommodation was so cheap. Better looking at it than for it.

The reason to have the capability to have basic camping which is of your own choice is that it covers the following scenario if it should arise.

In the past with a group if there are any delays due to e.g. mechanical failure or a puncture along with darkness approaching then one can at least bed down for the night without getting stressed as where one will be sleeping that night.

If we think we have to be at a particular town for a certain time and there is indeed a goofy problem or three or four,then this stress and need to be somewhere evolves into your holiday not being as good as it should be.

Herein lies the secret of just knowing where you'll be going but not with in a time constraint. My ride out includes rest days so any thing that needs repairing of a more serious nature.....the rest days are juggled and moved to accommodate.

When on the beaten track this is never usually a problem as we'll ride to a town and find somewhere. Off the beaten track with darkness approaching in an hour with no chance of coming across a town until a good few hours later quickly aggravates people. An hour or so before sundown lets us get sorted,eat calmly and sort any problem out tomorrow.

It may sound like overkill or needless to bring kit and never use it but to illustrate a point on a previous ride out the group were all remote trail riding heading for a town about an hour and a half away to stay in at the end of the days ride.

Of course,as usual,at the end of the day we had a puncture. The time lost to repair same meant we were never going to arrive at the town so we simply found a place to camp...made dinner..had a chat...watched the sun go down and effected repairs the next morning before continuing to enjoy the trails....Zero stress.

Without the facility to camp stress levels would have risen without a doubt...to sleep in moto kit on the ground....nothing much to eat...nothing to assist if you needed to go to the toilet...etc etc

A bigger group means more potential for goofy problems....Imagine two thorn punctures...or three throughout the day.Imagine time lost. Imagine the stress compounded? This is why you know where you're going but don't know exactly when you have to be there. That buffer zone of rest days allows you to enjoy your holiday and deal with stuff as and if it arises.

All this to say,Maroc will find weaknesses in your moto with no doubt and to allow for that needs to be factored in. From a broken lever to things vibrating off...all things that require time to fettle on the day.

It's all a bit like going out for a hill walk with a day sac with basic food,bivvy bag,water and a first aid kit...you'll put the day sack back in the boot at the car park upon returning and drive on home. If you twist your ankle though you have all that you need otherwise.

Not only should each rider be autonomous in the way of having the ability to camp if days are extended but also have the ability to effect running repairs on their own moto and cater for same in the way of spares etc.....such things as changing out clutch cables,gear levers etc to knowing how to repair a puncture.

There 'may' also be an option to roughly parallel any off road trails with road riding to arrive at the same place usually on the same day or the day thereafter.

If any break downs occur I have a contact who will transport the motos to where ever at your own cost.

I'll try to keep you right so you pay what you should be paying as best I can, rather than getting fleeced

Essential qualities required:sense of humour and also....

The ability to ......work together when..ahem...I mean,if,it all goes wrong.

The ability to ......work together,solely for the purpose to point and laugh at those others in the group that do stupid things.(I'm an expert at getting pointed at)

The ability to ......wing it.

If you're a grumpy old codger and you're content to live with your Adventure bike within the confines of your European little princess,Starbucks,matching teletubbie-motorcycle suit,comfort zone....then this trip is not for you.

The only policy really,is 'Frank and friendly'.....keep it like that and every one gets along just fine...(but this doesn't exonerate you getting ridiculed and pointed at!)

If anyone is interested and have any questions by all means ping a response....the best bit though is....a free guided on/off road ride in Maroc.

To find more information as to what's what read through this whole thread if you can be bothered.

PS;I mean questions about a ride out to Maroc...

PPS; This will give you an idea as to whats involved.

www.adventurebikerider.com/forum/25-ride...roc-ride-report.html

As new information or ideas arrive I will edit this page so as nothing gets lost within the confines of the whole thread.

Goats and prospective goats so far,with current motos,subject to change;

1. Christophe; Yamaha 750 Super Ténéré
2. Julien; Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré
3. Pascal; Honda Africa Twin 750
4. Nick; KTM690
5. William; Yamaha Ténéré 1200
6. Rob; Suzuki DR650SE
7. Keith; Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré
8. Peter; BMW1150
9. Mick; BMW1200RT
10. Mick; Yamaha WRF450
11. Simon; BMW 650 X-Country
12. Bob; CCM450 GP
13. Sean; CCM450 GP
14. John; Honda CRF250
15. Jayne; Honda CRF250
16. Alan; TBA
17. Mike; TBA
18. Steve; Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré
19. Rod; TBA
20. Mrs. Rod TBA

Will It Buff Out

www.edcontour.com

The Suit:What would you consider to be your greatest weakness?
Me: Honesty.
The Suit: Honesty? I don't think honesty could be construed as a weakness.
Me: I don't give a f**k what you think.
Last Edit: 1 week, 2 days ago by WIBO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: herman, Redmurty, AirbusPaul

Re: E.D.C Morocco 2017 On/Off road free guided open invite. 1 month ago #553829

• Whippet
  • NOW ONLINE
  • 1200cc
Morning Wibo, please put me down as a prospective victim for your dangerous adventure , ps, I'm a miserable tw-t , does that help ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WIBO

Re: E.D.C Morocco 2017 On/Off road free guided open invite. 1 month ago #553830

• SIF
  • 800cc
That is a cracking offer, Santa has come early for someone !

Re: E.D.C Morocco 2017 On/Off road free guided open invite. 1 month ago #553832

please put my name down sounds great . what size bikes are you thinking of taking ?I will run a van down to the south of france will have some space for a few bikes . sort the details next year
The following user(s) said Thank You: WIBO, JP-ADV990R

Re: E.D.C Morocco 2017 On/Off road free guided open invite. 1 month ago #553836

I would love to ride in Morocco but would need to ride the paved roads (RT1200) but happy to meet up at the venue each night if that works

Mick

Re: E.D.C Morocco 2017 On/Off road free guided open invite. 1 month ago #553837

• crofty
  • NOW ONLINE
  • 1200cc
Hi Keith, if whippet's going you better add my name to the list as well.

Re: E.D.C Morocco 2017 On/Off road free guided open invite. 1 month ago #553841

Hi Keith,

Can you add my name as well if I ever manage to pull my finger out and get a suitable bike!!!

Think positive, I will get a suitable bike.

Cheers
Alan
Last Edit: 1 month ago by videoman.

Re: E.D.C Morocco 2017 On/Off road free guided open invite. 1 month ago #553842

• bond_yzf
  • NOW ONLINE
  • 1200cc
Hi Keith,

Please put my name down also.

Re: E.D.C Morocco 2017 On/Off road free guided open invite. 1 month ago #553872

• WIBO
  • 1200cc
Whippet wrote:
Morning Wibo, please put me down as a prospective victim for your dangerous adventure , ps, I'm a miserable tw-t , does that help ?

Eve'nin Whippet...

This type of miserable?

or this type?

Either way....you'll fit right in...

Will It Buff Out

www.edcontour.com

The following user(s) said Thank You: Whippet

Re: E.D.C Morocco 2017 On/Off road free guided open invite. 1 month ago #553876

• WIBO
  • 1200cc
halfpint wrote:
please put my name down sounds great . what size bikes are you thinking of taking ?I will run a van down to the south of france will have some space for a few bikes . sort the details next year

I know a lot can change between now and a year...but if you have a peep at the ride report you'll see what bikes went before...it's your call..

That's a good offer to divide out fuel and ferry costs by bringing someone else in a van.

It'll slot into place as the year progresses.

Will It Buff Out

www.edcontour.com

Last Edit: 1 month ago by WIBO.
Time to create page: 0.65 seconds