Adventure Bike Rider

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

do they think our heads zip up at the back!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: do they think our heads zip up at the back!

do they think our heads zip up at the back! 2 weeks ago #557066

MCN add..a dealer in Clwyd..are trying to sell a 98 africa twin with 16000 miles for £6500....'gee uz a brake pal'..as we say in the Glesga
Last Edit: 2 weeks ago by motorbike.

Re: do they think our heads zip up at the back! 2 weeks ago #557070

just spotted another one on e bay for £7600..ffs

Re: do they think our heads zip up at the back! 2 weeks ago #557072

Good ones are going for big money. Extremely reliable and a good bike, hard to beat.

Re: do they think our heads zip up at the back! 2 weeks ago #557073

• Mike54
  • 1200cc
92kk k100lt 193214 wrote:
Good ones are going for big money. Extremely reliable and a good bike, hard to beat.

<cough> voltage regulator

Re: do they think our heads zip up at the back! 2 weeks ago #557075

• Mike101
  • NOW ONLINE
  • 1200cc
  • And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eye
Is any bike reliable?...as i see it all bikes are fragile..made of cheap crap metal..require constant fixing of things and come out of the factory with many design faults.

The majority of cars do not seem to suffer this. The last time i looked i've not heard of a car surging at 30mph but how many bikes do it?

The best bikes i have ever had has just best the best of a bad bunch.

Does anybody have a bike that they bought from new and have not done a thing to it...other than servicing...ever?

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts

Re: do they think our heads zip up at the back! 2 weeks ago #557076

• Mike54
  • 1200cc
Mike101 wrote:
Is any bike reliable?...as i see it all bikes are fragile..made of cheap crap metal..require constant fixing of things and come out of the factory with many design faults.

The majority of cars do not seem to suffer this. The last time i looked i've not heard of a car surging at 30mph but how many bikes do it?

Does anybody have a bike that they bought from new and have not done a thing to it...other than servicing...ever?

Mike

My 2014 KTM 450 EXC. No issues at all and it's done plenty including overseas rallies, desert dunes etc

Re: do they think our heads zip up at the back! 2 weeks ago #557080

• vRSG60
  • 1200cc
  • BMW F650GS
My mate paid less than that for a minter with 6,000 last year.

motorbike wrote:
MCN add..a dealer in Clwyd..are trying to sell a 98 africa twin with 16000 miles for £6500....'gee uz a brake pal'..as we say in the Glesga
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith

Re: do they think our heads zip up at the back! 2 weeks ago #557081

I had an Aprilia Pegaso 650 Rotax 5-valve liquid cooled, which I bought new and kept for over 10 years.

It had one dealer service a year.

Apart from tyres and a chain, the only parts which needed non-scheduled replacement were side-stand bolts x2 and front brake stop lamp switch x2 (same part as on a BMW Funduro).

I kept a DR350S (again brought new) for a similar length of time. It was used mostly as a trail bike, so consumed wheel bearings and fork seals pretty much every year or so, and brake pads and chains too...but apart from oil and plug changes, greasing and air filter cleaning it just needed one exhaust valve adjusting once in all the time I had it.

I'd contend that if you buy a bike new, run it in carefully (which is a bit of an art in itself...it doesn't mean riding slowly, it means riding the bike with constantly varying rpm and throttle openings, going up and down the box etc) for the first 500 miles or so and keep on top of things regarding cleaning and lubrication then you shouldn't get major issues. That at least is my experience with Aprilia, Suzuki and GasGas...three very different makes from three different nations.

Used bikes are always a bit of a gamble.

One of the most important aspects (particularly on dirt bikes) is air filter maintenance...cleaning frequently and throughly and installing carefully and correctly is the key to preserving the engine's top end.

I'd add that the more complications and crap the bike is fitted with, the more likely it will go wrong. I've only had 2 bikes with hydraulic clutches, and they both needed more attention than a cable clutch.
Last Edit: 2 weeks ago by Richard Simpson.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodyorkabr

Re: do they think our heads zip up at the back! 2 weeks ago #557082

• Trev
  • 1200cc
Mike101 wrote:

Mike

Not quite from new but bought my 1989 GSXR1100K as 5th owner in 2003 when it was on 28k miles and full service records showed only service items replaced. Now on 48k and absolutely nothing has gone wrong outside of service items and nor would I have expected it to. Poor old thing is getting on a bit now so maybe a Suzuki rectifier issue or speedo cable will will crop up shortly?

Had an 2009 MT03 as ex-demo and sold in August with 20k on it and absolutely cock all had gone wrong (apart from me dropping ladder on it and breaking the rear mudguard ). 20k miles in 6 years is not exactly sapce ship miles but enough to show up dodgy manufacture and, as I would expect, all okay.

Bought my 2012 NC700X as 6 months old and 2k, now on 26k and again (apart from not being able to resist the urge to add bits) has only required service items and, again, as I would expect.

Perhaps I'm lucky in that I've mainly had older Jap bikes (and of course the ropey old Enfield) so I tempted fate and went for a Guzzi Griso last year, so far so good but then I have tried not to ride it just in case
Last Edit: 2 weeks ago by Trev.

Re: do they think our heads zip up at the back! 2 weeks ago #557085

I don't know if bike quality has got dramatically worse in the last 10-15 years but for the last 4 years I've been running an 04' Triumph Sprint RS and put 24k miles on it.The only fault it has had is a temperamental speedo which I suspect is just a connector block but haven't sorted yet.
For 9 years before that I put 60k miles on a 2000 Sprint ST.One speedo sensor,two broken wires a couple of bulbs and a clutch cable were all the faults I had.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.52 seconds