Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Another bike after a long search
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Another bike after a long search

Another bike after a long search 2 months, 3 weeks ago #556532

As a long time Aprilia fan and having owned 4 Mille s I've been looking for a cheap but nice Falco .
It's was never a very popular bike so there aren't many around .
Having looked at several from early high mile'ers to late Minter's I decided on either a yellow one or the second style of blue .
Eventually I found a very nice 2003 blue /black one with extensive history ,20,000 miles on the fully speced Mille dash.
The only fly in the ontment was it's location in a Yorkshire Honda dealers showroom.

Basically the Falco took the 60 degree Rotax twin spark ,dry sump V twin motor from the Mille along with the front forks,mirrors ,bars ,switch gear and instruments.A new all alloy twin beam frame ,new half fairing and screen,plastic tank,swinging arm, seat ,rear subframe and exhaust system complete the picture.
Tuned to give more low torque and a slightly relaxed riding position it's was a great handling sports bike with plenty of power and reasonable fuel consumption.

Yesterday 29th December I got an early train From St Albans to Shipley in Yorkshire.
It was a cold day frost on every field making Yorkshire look like a winter wonderland as the train pulled in to Shipley station I was beginning to think this was not the best day to be riding 200 plus miles in freezing conditions with some areas covered in freezing fog!

However I took comfort that I have done much colder rides on my Mille s including over the Alps to Italy in very heavy snow and a trip to Northern Ireland via Snowdonia in February.
I also rode my 800GS back from Ocean BMW Plymouth on a very stormy day having bought it on the internet while of work with a broken arm sustained on a track day (my last) high side.
The first thing I did after the short walk from the station on arriving at Craig's Honda
Was hand the Keiss battery lead to the service guys so it could be fitted .
After the hand over I pluged my Kiess vest into the newly fitted lead snick her in to gear and gently set course for home .
The twin titanium Akras sounded fantastic the new Michelin Pilot sports seeme to have plenty of grip and all was well.
However the riding position is extreme compared to the sit up and beg comfort of my GS but after 50 miles or so I started to feel more at home.

I will be lowering the pegs slighly but other than that all was good ,maybe a Sargent seat ?

I stoped for a refuel at 160 miles and the warning light was still not on . Eventually I got on the M1 at Sheffield to be greeted with freezing fog which stayed with me untill Nottingham my Keiss heated vest was keeping the freezing conditions at bay and only a slight coldness creeping in to my fingers .
I arrived home in St Albans thinking about what mods will I need to do for touring Europe in 2017 .Not a lot really ,lower pegs ,a large double Baglux ,Bagster bag and tank cover.Maybe a Sat Nav and a charging point for my phone .
The bag has now been bought along with a double bubble screen.Hid lights maybe?
An Oberon clutch slave cylinder to lighten the clutch action and some Michelin Pilot road 4's.
First trip will be the beach race at La Touquet in February.
Happy new year to you all
John
Waltham Forest College .Dept.Of Motor Cycle Engineering.
BMW F800GS
Last Edit: 2 months, 3 weeks ago by stormbringer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boboneleg, Desmo

Re: Another bike after a long search 2 months, 3 weeks ago #556541

• geoham
  • 1200cc
Thanks for the report John. It's always nice to read about different bikes.

Health to enjoy your new bike

George
Last Edit: 2 months, 3 weeks ago by geoham.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gooseneck

Re: Another bike after a long search 2 months, 3 weeks ago #556542

That made a good read, thank you, I have been considering a pegaso factory.

Re: Another bike after a long search 2 months, 3 weeks ago #556547

Enjoy your new bike.I've often admired the Falco as I like bikes that are a little bit different from the run of the mill.

Re: Another bike after a long search 2 months, 3 weeks ago #556549

Good story, but no pics! Come on chop chop

- Steve

Southampton area
DR350
Montesa 349

Re: Another bike after a long search 2 months, 3 weeks ago #556556

That's an adventure for sure, good luck with the new bike
one-legged adventurer

Re: Another bike after a long search 2 months, 3 weeks ago #556592

• scotsy
  • 800cc
The futura is another underrated Aprilia bike but its quirky looks probably did for its chances.

I have owned 2 x Millies and a Tuono and never had any issues with any of them

great bikes

Ian

Re: Another bike after a long search 2 months, 3 weeks ago #556609

• GB
  • NOW ONLINE
  • 1200cc
Really liked the falco but never ridden one. Rode the futura which was a lovely touring bike just spoilled by poor fuelling.
My 701 goes Brraaaaaap!

Re: Another bike after a long search 2 months, 3 weeks ago #556613

• scotsy
  • 800cc
A lot of the Aprilias benefit greatly by going 1 x tooth smaller on the front sprocket to lessen the effect....its a V-twin thing

Re: Another bike after a long search 2 months, 3 weeks ago #556619

• GB
  • NOW ONLINE
  • 1200cc
Yeah, but never had the issue on any of my Ducatis, or my Buell come to thing of it. I think the GS's have been the worst Ive owned.
My 701 goes Brraaaaaap!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds