Adventure Bike Rider

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Transalp 650 (or 700), Tiger 955i (or 1050), BMW F800GS, or other mid size adventure bike?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Transalp 650 (or 700), Tiger 955i (or 1050), BMW F800GS, or other mid size adventure bike?

Re: Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 2 months, 3 weeks ago #556985

• -Ralph-
  • 1200cc
@thebiggestjolly

The v-strom isn't as well built as a Honda of the same era, but it's only paintwork which makes the difference, and how well that lasts is down to how well you look after it. ACF50 in winter and keep it clean in summer and you'll be OK. If you don't ride in winter or in the rain it won't make any difference at all!

Sports tourers have upright seating, they are just not as tall.

If you can't get though a gap in London with a Tiger without panniers, you won't get through that same gap on any adventure bike. The widest bit is the bars and they are all pretty much the same.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
The following user(s) said Thank You: thebiggestjolly

Re: Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 2 months, 3 weeks ago #557055

a good 955i can be picked up for not a massive amount of money. they have a stonking engine and will do high mileage before any mechanical problems.

They can suffer a rectifier problem so do check on that. They are also heavy if you drop it and amongst the Tiger owners fraternity it is none as "they like to have a nap"

A very capable 2 up tourer

Oh did I mention the engine is orgasmic

cheers Spud
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself

Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 2 months, 2 weeks ago #558960

So to continue, I've been thinking about the new ultra low emissions thing in London, and as I commute most days into zone 1, I suppose I best pay attention.

From what I've read, if my bike is first registered on or after 1 July 2007, I'll be fine. I had been looking at bikes 2005-2007 so I'm now looking at newer bikes.

The Tiger 955i was no longer being made by then, so it's out for now. Maybe. 2020 is when the new rules come into play, and if I do get a new bike this year, it may well be replaced by then anyway! Although selling a non compliant bike nearer the time might be harder seeing I live in London, albeit not in the ULEZ. If anyone has a late 955i, can you check the v5 and see what emissions class it is? Euro 3 or higher means it's fine.

The Transalp 650 was until 2007 so I might get lucky. I had already been thinking about the 700, but I like the look of it less, although I'm warming to it now.

A new edition to my shortlist is the yamaha xt660z, or XTZ660. The tenere, which I have no idea how to pronounce. Looks great, but haven't seen one in the flesh yet, or heard any user reviews.

Gonna up my budget to around £4000, so I'll definitely be able to get something 2007 or later, and of course this is all somewhat pointless till I've passed my test and test ridden some of them, but you lot have been so helpful so far, seems rude not to include you all in my long and borderline obsessive thought process.

Cheers everyone
Jolly

Re: Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 2 months, 2 weeks ago #558965

just had a quick look at my log book and can't see what you need, if you can give me a hint I'll look again

cheers Spud

Re: Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 2 months, 2 weeks ago #558966

• Tramp
  • 1200cc
All.transalp 650 have same engine ...emmissions where and arent part of a motorcycle mot or effext road tax unlike cars..

The new models have to comply to euro emmissions...

Id get a deffinative answer on the bike scene as lots of folk arent correct...

Its kinda irronic that the road fund licence or whatever its called.is based on emissions so a euro 3 bike needed for london is same tax as my old ccm644 based on a 1996 engine lol...

Damn enviromentalists
Last Edit: 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Tramp.

Re: Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 2 months, 2 weeks ago #558974

Redmurty wrote:
just had a quick look at my log book and can't see what you need, if you can give me a hint I'll look again

cheers Spud

From the tfl website:

Euro emission standards

For newer vehicles, the Euro emission standard may be listed on the V5C in section D.2. If your vehicle meets the required Euro emission standard, it will be compliant with ULEZ.

It does say may be listed though, so might not. I'll do some more digging.
Cheers

Re: Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 2 months, 2 weeks ago #558978

As far as i am aware the 955i Tiger does not have a CAT so i would be very doubtful if it met the emission standards needed.

Re: Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 2 months, 2 weeks ago #558985

thebiggestjolly wrote:
Redmurty wrote:

cheers Spud

From the tfl website:

Euro emission standards

For newer vehicles, the Euro emission standard may be listed on the V5C in section D.2. If your vehicle meets the required Euro emission standard, it will be compliant with ULEZ.

Cheers

D2 on my log book say model/type

V section list exhaust emissions can't see any ULEZ

cheers Spud

Re: Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 2 months, 2 weeks ago #558999

Redmurty wrote:
thebiggestjolly wrote:
Redmurty wrote:

cheers Spud

From the tfl website:

Euro emission standards

Cheers

D2 on my log book say model/type

V section list exhaust emissions can't see any ULEZ

cheers Spud

Ah well, cheers for looking. I'll do some more digging, see if I can get some proper answers.

Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 2 months, 2 weeks ago #559014

• -Ralph-
  • 1200cc
With £4k widen your search. And remember you'll knock some money off the advertised price at this time of year so search up to £4500

Single cylinder Tenere isn't the right bike if it's road only use IMO

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/2...812714?atmobcid=soc3

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/2...000665?atmobcid=soc3

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/2...373781?atmobcid=soc3

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/2...646884?atmobcid=soc3

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds