Adventure Bike Rider

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Transalp 650 (or 700), Tiger 955i (or 1050), BMW F800GS, or other mid size adventure bike?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Transalp 650 (or 700), Tiger 955i (or 1050), BMW F800GS, or other mid size adventure bike?

Transalp 650 (or 700), Tiger 955i (or 1050), BMW F800GS, or other mid size adventure bike? 3 months ago #556324

Hi all,

New to the forum, looking for some advice from more experienced riders, or folk who have owned either a Transalp 650 or the tiger 955i, 2005-2007 ish.

I'm hoping to do my DAS in the next month or so and upgrade from my Varadero 125 to something a bit bigger. At 6ft 5 I've been eyeing up the Transalp and tiger specifically, but if anyone's got any other ideas I'm open to suggestions.

Apart from some commuting into London, planning on doing a bit of touring, UK and Europe. Camping, so it'll be pretty loaded, full luggage and tent etc strapped to back. A mate of mine who's also a biker says the 650 might not have enough grunt and I'll regret not getting something bigger. But he's a bit of a speed freak, where as I'm used to the 125, so jumping to 950cc might be a bit much. Thoughts?

Been looking on autotrader and eBay. Again, any other suggestions of good places for shopping for bikes?

Budget: no more than £4000, including luggage, crash bars, centre stand and scotoiler or similar, handguns & heated grips. If not including the accessories then enough change leftover to get them too.

Thanks
Jolly
Last Edit: 2 months ago by thebiggestjolly. Reason: Added budget info

Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 3 months ago #556325

• -Ralph-
  • 1200cc
The Transalp will be plenty unless you are sticking a pillion on as well. That said the 955 engines are one of the best motorbike engines ever made and if I had a choice between that and a 650 v twin, I know what I'd be taking.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
The following user(s) said Thank You: thebiggestjolly

Re: Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 3 months ago #556328

• rlkat
  • 1200cc
I love the Transalp. Had 3. Mine's in bits at the moment for a mid-winter overhaul. They've been nothing but reliable and are fairly easy to home service once you take off the PAIR valve gubbins although the front cylinder exhaust valve can be tricky to get to but not impossible. Just undo the right hand radiator and move it out of the way.
The Triumph's are good. Never had one but seem to be well built. Much more poke than the Tranny but a bit top heavy. Don't know what they're like to home service; if you're in to that.
If you get the Transalp make sure the output shaft is good. If the owner has used aftermarket sprockets they can wear the splines. I always use OEM front sprockets to avoid this.

I've no idea how to add a signature.

Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 3 months ago #556329

• -Ralph-
  • 1200cc
The v strom is worth a look too, both 650 and 1000 variants. The 90 degree v twin on the v strom delivers it's power better than the narrow angle V on the Transalp IMO.

Also look at TDM's

"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Re: Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 3 months ago #556332

• rlkat
  • 1200cc
-Ralph- wrote:
The v strom is worth a look too, both 650 and 1000 variants. The 90 degree v twin on the v strom delivers it's power better than the narrow angle V on the Transalp IMO.

Also look at TDM's

Can't disagree with that. Top bike, the V-strom.
I've no idea how to add a signature.

Re: Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 3 months ago #556333

As said above.
The tranny, bit small.
Tigger, brilliant engine, but a bit big.
Tdm 900. Go for it, one of the best bikes ever made.

Re: Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 3 months ago #556346

• -Ralph-
  • 1200cc
PS: Because of the two bikes you've asked us about, I think we are all making assumptions about your budget and suggesting bikes that come in at similar money. If this is wrong and budget is less of an issue, then say so as there are loads of other choices, like the 800cc Adventure Bikes.

Re: Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 3 months ago #556348

• joeymc
  • 250cc
The transalp is a very underrated bike. I'm 6" 3 and decided to buy a 650 TA as my first bike and I loved it. Comfortable, reliable and easy to ride. It will cruise all day long at 80 mph and will take you anywhere you wish to go. The vtwin is lightly tuned and should last a lifetime if looked after.

Power can be an issue for the more experienced rider,but as a first bike its a great machine!

Re: Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 3 months ago #556349

• Tramp
  • 1200cc
When you pass in spring ride as many bikes as you can to see which feels right for you..then look at the specific forums for those makes and models.

I had a 2004 transalp 650 thats done around 100k buy now...i did 55k toured and did everything a easy bike ti live with ..

Look on honda xrv.org uk web site....friendly bunch with lots of tips...the kawasaki versy is another good bike

Re: Transalp 650 or Tiger 955i 3 months ago #556379

I'm 6'5" and had one of the last 955i's, a 2007 with the 1050 bottom end. You won't want for more power and those engines are bullet proof, and I think they look good too. I did a couple of 3,000+ mile European trips on mine without issue. Needed a sheepskin as the seat's not the most comfortable of saddles, and Triumph servicing's not cheap. I've heard others complain about the panniers, but I never had any problems. Yes it's a tall bike, but like me, having a low centre of gravity for a tall guy is something that's wasted on us. They handle well through the twisties, but not as well as the GS's. I've stuck with the Triumph triple engine as I think they're Grrrreat, and now ride the 1200 Explorer. Can't comment on your other option(s) I'm afraid, but enjoy choosing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBlue, thebiggestjolly
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds