Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

CRF250 L thread
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: CRF250 L thread

Re: CRF250 L thread 1 month, 2 weeks ago #558739

• garyboy
  • 1200cc
I find it is better to relax and do 55 mph on the open road. Back lanes are fun tho.
Personally I can't justify the extra work and expense of a big bore kit, being a bimbler, tho I can see its attraction.

mine is pretty much stock,
but here are
some nice mods ..

all I have done so far are ..
bash plate
hand guards
heated grips
rear rack
lowered seat by drilling hole

later ..
folding mirrors
pivoted gear change lever
brake and gear levers on bars
rear rack bag (done now)
tyres

just basic stuff as I want to keep the engine and carburation (FI) and electronics standard, as it suits me, and mr Honda has spent millions to get it reliable and lasting. .. and quiet! and gentle.
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by garyboy.

Re: CRF250 L thread 1 month, 2 weeks ago #558868

Hi Guys, thanks for the info re big bore kits - maybe worth a try. Running the CCM450 GP alongside the CRF and the CRF has been much easier for me on trails. I have recently had the Power Commander added to the CCM, this has improved the fueling considerably and I have also removed about 3" of foam from the seat so I can get my feet firmly on terrafirma rather than tippy toeing. So will hold off on more spends and see how the CCM goes.

Re: CRF250 L thread 1 month, 2 weeks ago #558955

Torque racing lowered the front and rear suspension on my CCM from 890 to 830.......works well.

How do you get on the power commander? Is it on stock exhaust?

Re: CRF250 L thread 1 month, 2 weeks ago #559021

Hi Chasbmw, it has improved the running but hav'nt had a chance to really try it out yet, I am still with stock exhaust.
I did 5000 mls and it seemed ok in that I was able to ride round the fueling issues, or so I thought ! Rode Dartmore and Llangollen recently with the ABC crowd and took on some more difficult trails (for me that is) and it just kept stalling - and obviously at the worst moment.By revving and slipping the clutch I was able to make a better fist of things but I missed the soft torque of the CRF. So went for the Power Commander. Rode some green lanes locally and it seems much better, but I won't know until I get on some tougher trails. I guess that I need to change my riding style/habbits and rev the knuts off it to avoid the stalling, will have to experiment. In general the PC has improved things.

Re: CRF250 L thread 1 month, 2 weeks ago #559043

• Zookman
  • 1200cc
Only 23 bhp for this bike and i dont ride off road, so this bike should have no interest for me whatsoever.
But strangely, i really want to test ride one to see what its like.... even more so the rally version, just cos it looks so good.

At least i'll wait til i ride it to give an opinion.... unlike those who slate it just on the specs alone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: garyboy

Re: CRF250 L thread 1 month, 1 week ago #559056

• garyboy
  • 1200cc
people actually come up to me and ask about the bike .. because of the looks and also because of they way it handles on-road. it is a `fun bike`. not powerful like a big capacity lugger, but is light and pulls immediately from start (useful off-road) at low revs. don't expect high speeds, but expect low speed fun, and ease of use.

I got a feeling that the increased rake/trail, from lowering the suspension unevenly, has helped improve the road handling? certainly `confidence`.

Re: CRF250 L thread 1 month, 1 week ago #559073

• fatowl
  • 450cc
  • nunquam scienter utilis
Zookman wrote:
Only 23 bhp for this bike and i dont ride off road, so this bike should have no interest for me whatsoever.
But strangely, i really want to test ride one to see what its like.... even more so the rally version, just cos it looks so good.

At least i'll wait till i ride it to give an opinion.... unlike those who slate it just on the specs alone.

I'm with you on this one. I don't do inter-continental tours, so I don't need the latest and greatest, high BHP monster. I mostly ride locally - within about 50 miles, often on tiny roads that have grass growing in the middle. You can only do 20 - 30 mph, so a light well mannered "potterer" would be just the thing. Although I have a bigger bike, I often ride my CG125. It's been a great work horse, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth and bit more power and more ability on cart-tracks etc would be nice. I also like the look of the Kawasaki Versys 300.

Re: CRF250 L thread 1 month, 1 week ago #559075

Hi , Crofty hopefully your still keeping tabs on this thread , could you tell me what pannier frames you have on your bike , I'm going to be needing a couple of sets for some soft luggage , cheers john

Re: CRF250 L thread 1 month, 1 week ago #559083

• Birdie
  • 450cc
IMG-20160707-WA0001_2017-01-12.jpg

23bhp is fine and fun if you stick to these sort of roads this is in Wales on the crf last year no motorways or daul carriageways best biking holiday yet
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by Birdie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: minkyhead

Re: CRF250 L thread 1 month, 1 week ago #559088

with the crf a whole lot is to do with the riders mindset ..the crf is now near enough 30bhp down on the ccm ..yet i can jump off one to the other and still appriciate the little bike ..when the crf is described as gutless it surprises me as imho its anything but .. its slow yes but it will chug up the steepest of mountain passes fuss free ..ive toured northumberland //wales bulgaria albania on one and as long as you know what you buying into it was ace ..some lads with ants in their pants will find it too slow...somone touring a country off road and on smaller roads may find the crf a really pleasent and easy way to travel

it is a pity the rally wasnt made into a 300/350 but i still think it will sell by the thousands and thousands will love it ..

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spadger, cowling, Birdie, WillS, drumbrakes
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds